Anybody here into drifting?

LilZebb
6/20/2014 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2014 2:04pm
I'd be interested in knowing what some of you think of it or if you have/do participate in it. Smile
|
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
6/20/2014 4:25pm
LilZebb wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing what some of you think of it or if you have/do participate in it. Smile
Like off topic you mean ?
Bob693
6/20/2014 4:38pm
Don't really ever see it on tv but will watch if I do.
jamma10
6/20/2014 4:43pm
I'd rather leave that pointless crap to the Japs personally.
Sully
6/20/2014 6:13pm
jamma10 wrote:
"Japs"? Some of you fuckers on this board really do amaze me with your stupidity.

I've been to a couple of D1 events. It really is a good time, and those guys can definitely drive. I'm not as big of fan of the newer gymkhana style events they run in the States, but there's no denying those guys' abilities behind the wheel.

The Shop

LilZebb
6/20/2014 9:42pm
jamma10 wrote:
How is it pointless?
yz414
6/20/2014 10:21pm
i dont really get drifting, dont get me wrong those guys can drive the wheels off their cars (literally) but its a judged racing event. im a little unclear about how the rules work because drifting is by no means the "fast" way around a track
MR. X
6/21/2014 2:24am

LilZebb
6/22/2014 1:04pm
yz414 wrote:
i dont really get drifting, dont get me wrong those guys can drive the wheels off their cars (literally) but its a judged racing event. im...
i dont really get drifting, dont get me wrong those guys can drive the wheels off their cars (literally) but its a judged racing event. im a little unclear about how the rules work because drifting is by no means the "fast" way around a track
Well it probably sounds stupid but it is judged by how close you can get to either the inside of the track or the outside, How fast you enter, and for style. How much smoke from the tires is also a factor. There's a couple of other things that I feel like i'm missing maybe.

Sorry for the double-post.
mx757
6/22/2014 1:27pm
I have a couple buddies that are into it. I went to check out an event at PPIR here a couple times. I just must not get it because I was bored of it after about a half hour.
jamma10
6/22/2014 3:58pm
jamma10 wrote:
Sully wrote:
"Japs"? Some of you fuckers on this board really do amaze me with your stupidity. I've been to a couple of D1 events. It really is...
"Japs"? Some of you fuckers on this board really do amaze me with your stupidity.

I've been to a couple of D1 events. It really is a good time, and those guys can definitely drive. I'm not as big of fan of the newer gymkhana style events they run in the States, but there's no denying those guys' abilities behind the wheel.
Chillout. It might still be seen to be derogatory in America but as far as Im concerned the term 'Jap' is simply an abbreviation which is still commonly used in the UK. It's just used as a friendly reference, just as we call Australians; Aussies or Americans; Yanks.

Anyway. You can go down to any large supermarket carpark on a friday or saturday night in England and you'll see 17/18 year olds 'drifting' their cars, I just don't see the appeal of it personally.
jamma10
6/22/2014 4:16pm
jamma10 wrote:
LilZebb wrote:
How is it pointless?
Because it doesn't really take that much skill. They've just taken a small element of car racing and made it into a bit a spectacle for people who get off on seeing tyres smoking.

Its the kind of thing that you might get a few giggles out of just after you've learnt how to drive, but then you grow up.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
6/22/2014 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 4:36pm
jamma10 wrote:
Because it doesn't [i]really[/i] take that much skill. They've just taken a small element of car racing and made it into a bit a spectacle for...
Because it doesn't really take that much skill. They've just taken a small element of car racing and made it into a bit a spectacle for people who get off on seeing tyres smoking.

Its the kind of thing that you might get a few giggles out of just after you've learnt how to drive, but then you grow up.
it takes a fair bit of skill to do it at the top level, not so much in a supermarket car park tho ill admit,

I have been for a ride with a NZ champ about 5 years ago, and at turn 1 at pukekohe he though it in at 100mph, i could not turn my head enough to see where we were heading, it took a heap of car control at it, I had a S14 200SX with just under 400hp at one stage, and it was fun to do the practice days,

I don't go and watch a lot of it tho, its a bit boring to sit all day and watch it, but ill catch a highlights package if its on TV,

they had a challange between the NZ drift Champ, ex NZ Sprint Car Champ, and a top level v8 toruing car racer, where they each drove each's others cars, the Drifter picked up the other two pretty quick, the sprint car racer picked was better in the drifter, and the touring car driver crahsed the sprint car in 3 laps, and could not get the drift car that well either,
jamma10
6/22/2014 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 5:03pm
jamma10 wrote:
Because it doesn't [i]really[/i] take that much skill. They've just taken a small element of car racing and made it into a bit a spectacle for...

scott_nz wrote:
it takes a fair bit of skill to do it at the top level, not so much in a supermarket car park tho ill admit, I...
it takes a fair bit of skill to do it at the top level, not so much in a supermarket car park tho ill admit,

I have been for a ride with a NZ champ about 5 years ago, and at turn 1 at pukekohe he though it in at 100mph, i could not turn my head enough to see where we were heading, it took a heap of car control at it, I had a S14 200SX with just under 400hp at one stage, and it was fun to do the practice days,

I don't go and watch a lot of it tho, its a bit boring to sit all day and watch it, but ill catch a highlights package if its on TV,

they had a challange between the NZ drift Champ, ex NZ Sprint Car Champ, and a top level v8 toruing car racer, where they each drove each's others cars, the Drifter picked up the other two pretty quick, the sprint car racer picked was better in the drifter, and the touring car driver crahsed the sprint car in 3 laps, and could not get the drift car that well either,
Which V8 driver was that? He spends his normal working day counteracting drift so you can understand why he probably struggled to adapt compared to the other two. I'd like to see a Drift racer go up against a WRC driver on a Norwegian forest stage where sliding the car has an actual purpose other than simply looking cool.

I don't even know why I got involved in this conversation really, I just think its a bit lame thats all. Smile
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
6/22/2014 6:25pm
jamma10 wrote:
Which V8 driver was that? He spends his normal working day counteracting drift so you can understand why he probably struggled to adapt compared to the...
Which V8 driver was that? He spends his normal working day counteracting drift so you can understand why he probably struggled to adapt compared to the other two. I'd like to see a Drift racer go up against a WRC driver on a Norwegian forest stage where sliding the car has an actual purpose other than simply looking cool.

I don't even know why I got involved in this conversation really, I just think its a bit lame thats all. Smile
it was Andy Booth, who is a NZ driver that goes pretty good here, and has done some 2nd tier V8 Supercar stuff in Aussie,

Shane Van Gisburgen who is a top V8 Supercar driver also competes in the NZ drift series,

here is the link to the Driver Challange,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS_XFDRtD_A
Racer92
6/22/2014 6:54pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 7:52pm
Cool video. That dude got off easy, only bent the jacobs ladder and probably tweaked a few radius rods.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
6/22/2014 7:36pm
did not help the situation being on that slick of a track either, but thats Baypark, the biggest widest circuit we have here in NZ, Western Springs is about half the width,
Racer92
6/22/2014 7:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2014 7:40pm
scott_nz wrote:
did not help the situation being on that slick of a track either, but thats Baypark, the biggest widest circuit we have here in NZ, Western...
did not help the situation being on that slick of a track either, but thats Baypark, the biggest widest circuit we have here in NZ, Western Springs is about half the width,
That track was a joke. Nobody races in a dust cloud like that.
Joemx
6/23/2014 1:05pm
jamma10 wrote:
Sully wrote:
"Japs"? Some of you fuckers on this board really do amaze me with your stupidity. I've been to a couple of D1 events. It really is...

jamma10 wrote:
Chillout. It might still be seen to be derogatory in America but as far as Im concerned the term 'Jap' is simply an abbreviation which is...
Chillout. It might still be seen to be derogatory in America but as far as Im concerned the term 'Jap' is simply an abbreviation which is still commonly used in the UK. It's just used as a friendly reference, just as we call Australians; Aussies or Americans; Yanks.

Anyway. You can go down to any large supermarket carpark on a friday or saturday night in England and you'll see 17/18 year olds 'drifting' their cars, I just don't see the appeal of it personally.
And what do you call blacks/Africans - "Nigs" ?
jamma10
6/23/2014 2:04pm
Sully wrote:

jamma10 wrote:
Chillout. It might still be seen to be derogatory in America but as far as Im concerned the term 'Jap' is simply an abbreviation which is...

Joemx wrote:
And what do you call blacks/Africans - "Nigs" ?
No, because THAT would be racist...

The term may be offensive in America, but over here the term Jap is simply used as a lighthearted abbreviation. Believe it or not I've travelled pretty extensively throughout Asia and have absolutely no racial prejudices whatsoever.

Post a reply to: Anybody here into drifting?

The Latest