Any Fishermen?

wpcjs
Posts
956
Joined
1/11/2007
Location
Yorkville, IL, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 11:49am
No, not like Lenny j/k! Our family has a place on Green Lake in WI, it is the deepest lake in the state ( 235'+ ) and is crystal clear, I can tell if its heads or tails on a quarter at the end of my pier ( 7' )

I have always fished it but never with any real luck and this year I want to hit it hard and do not know what I am doing wrong. I have an old boat with a tiller, trolling motor , depth finder, etc.. Any tips? Any WI guys want to spend som time on the water?
|
crowe176
Posts
6613
Joined
9/8/2006
Location
Spring Lake, MI, USA
6/4/2008 4:22pm
That's pretty deep. There's probably good Walleye or Pike fishing, but that can be pretty hard if you don't shit about the lake and how the schools work.

Maybe you can spend a day with a guide? I've done it a few times when I go out west, and it's ALWAYs worth the money.
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
6/4/2008 4:41pm
Dynamite
wpcjs
Posts
956
Joined
1/11/2007
Location
Yorkville, IL, USA
6/4/2008 4:41pm
crowe176 wrote:
That's pretty deep. There's probably good Walleye or Pike fishing, but that can be pretty hard if you don't shit about the lake and how the...
That's pretty deep. There's probably good Walleye or Pike fishing, but that can be pretty hard if you don't shit about the lake and how the schools work.

Maybe you can spend a day with a guide? I've done it a few times when I go out west, and it's ALWAYs worth the money.
Yes I have thought about a guide but they are hard to come by believe it or not. Great walleye, smallys, pike, trout. I have been fishing it for 35+ years but its hard when I only have a couple days a month, I have a little time on my hands now so I thought I would try harder.
fcr
Posts
9348
Joined
12/1/2006
Location
Monkeys Eyebrow, YE
6/4/2008 4:50pm
I only ocean fish but you have the same things to deal with. You need to know what the fish are doing behaviorally at the time of year you are fishing. You need to know temperature breaks, currents type of natural food at that time. Fresh water is more complicated to me. I would say just go to San Diego Fishermans landing in August and get a multi-day out of there.

The Shop

crowe176
Posts
6613
Joined
9/8/2006
Location
Spring Lake, MI, USA
6/4/2008 5:00pm
flarider wrote:
Dynamite
That's always been a dream of mine. One of those days, when you get skunked, fuck it, I'm blowing some shit up.
Tiki
Posts
10676
Joined
8/1/2006
Location
Corona, CA, USA
Fantasy
6/4/2008 5:06pm
flarider wrote:
Dynamite
Coffee on the screen!

In the back of Popular Mechanics they have fish Stunners. Talk about taking the sport out?
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
6/4/2008 5:31pm
someone told me you'd need live bait if it's as clear as you say
Larry
Posts
5092
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Fayetteville, GA, USA
6/4/2008 6:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:11pm
wpcjs wrote:
No, not like Lenny j/k! Our family has a place on Green Lake in WI, it is the deepest lake in the state ( 235'+ )...
No, not like Lenny j/k! Our family has a place on Green Lake in WI, it is the deepest lake in the state ( 235'+ ) and is crystal clear, I can tell if its heads or tails on a quarter at the end of my pier ( 7' )

I have always fished it but never with any real luck and this year I want to hit it hard and do not know what I am doing wrong. I have an old boat with a tiller, trolling motor , depth finder, etc.. Any tips? Any WI guys want to spend som time on the water?
I can bring my uncle and my oldest son up there and those two will figure out your lake.
Me and my other two boys ain't too bad either.
You need to make friends with a couple of the locals and find out what you can from them.
Then its just like riding, you have to go at least once a week to be any good at all at it.
The other thing is that you have to accecpt that some days those slimy bastards just don't eat.
Fishing is cool and your desire to get good at is is honorable.
Cygnus
Posts
14845
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Hanover, CO, USA
6/4/2008 6:47pm
A good topo map of the lake structure will help you eliminate 80 percent of the water . And show what key areas hold the fish. A decent fishfinder is invaluable also
wpcjs
Posts
956
Joined
1/11/2007
Location
Yorkville, IL, USA
6/4/2008 7:56pm
wpcjs wrote:
No, not like Lenny j/k! Our family has a place on Green Lake in WI, it is the deepest lake in the state ( 235'+ )...
No, not like Lenny j/k! Our family has a place on Green Lake in WI, it is the deepest lake in the state ( 235'+ ) and is crystal clear, I can tell if its heads or tails on a quarter at the end of my pier ( 7' )

I have always fished it but never with any real luck and this year I want to hit it hard and do not know what I am doing wrong. I have an old boat with a tiller, trolling motor , depth finder, etc.. Any tips? Any WI guys want to spend som time on the water?
Larry wrote:
I can bring my uncle and my oldest son up there and those two will figure out your lake. Me and my other two boys ain't...
I can bring my uncle and my oldest son up there and those two will figure out your lake.
Me and my other two boys ain't too bad either.
You need to make friends with a couple of the locals and find out what you can from them.
Then its just like riding, you have to go at least once a week to be any good at all at it.
The other thing is that you have to accecpt that some days those slimy bastards just don't eat.
Fishing is cool and your desire to get good at is is honorable.
Any time someone wants to come let me know, I split time with my sisters, the problem with getting to know the locals is they HATE people from IL, they are called FIBS ( F$#king Illinois bastards ) sorry that is the best they could come up with, even knowing I was raised there from 67. If someone wants to fish please let me know.
6/5/2008 2:49am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2008 3:09am
clear water = spooky fish. Use light leaders, maybe flourocarbon doesn't matter how deep it is 90% of the fish will be near the shore line near structure. You need to see what is working though every body of water is different. Go into a local tackleshop and ask most shops are really friendly and willing to give tips, spend a few bucks on some terminal tackle or something as a way of saying thanks.
Racer92
Posts
17965
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Central, TX, USA
6/5/2008 6:02am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2008 6:04am
wpcjs wrote:
No, not like Lenny j/k! Our family has a place on Green Lake in WI, it is the deepest lake in the state ( 235'+ )...
No, not like Lenny j/k! Our family has a place on Green Lake in WI, it is the deepest lake in the state ( 235'+ ) and is crystal clear, I can tell if its heads or tails on a quarter at the end of my pier ( 7' )

I have always fished it but never with any real luck and this year I want to hit it hard and do not know what I am doing wrong. I have an old boat with a tiller, trolling motor , depth finder, etc.. Any tips? Any WI guys want to spend som time on the water?
Daves right.

dano
Posts
138
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
USA
6/5/2008 6:25am
We got a lake here that is like gin , Skaneateles like 300 feet deep clear and cold. Lots of lake trout, bows, landlocked salmon and smallies.
I never worried about spooky fish and caught lots. Lake trout are down deep I used to use steel line hooked to one end of a triangle, 1/4 pound sinker on another side and 8 foot leader with a silver spoon (sutton spoon if you can find one). 60-80 feet water drop it right on the bottom. usually caught bows and salmon same water depth but only down about 30 feet on downriggers, or even sometimes trolling the surface with a rapala and a little weight
6/5/2008 7:11am
used to trout fish all the time in high school.
I need to run by walmart and buy a new fishin stick so I can catch some crappie too. Ah...good times....smoking weed, swisher sweets, and fishin.

Post a reply to: Any Fishermen?

The Latest