ADD/ADHD

MXB
Posts
168
Joined
4/9/2008
Location
Illiana, IL, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 4:33am
For those guys that emailed me over the last couple of days regarding a drug free alternative for treatment of ADD/ADHD.

I jotted down a few things that were key to reversing my sons' symptoms in my emails
Nutrition and supplementation is key. But one of the biggest changes you can make is to get the kids, whether they are boys or girls, into an exercise program. Motocross racing for my boys was not enough. We were only able to practice a few days a week, and racing 2 days a month because of my work. One son swam every day at a health club. The younger enrolled in a martial arts program. My boys didn't sit on the couch and play video games all day long. We kept them busy.

Good luck!
|
txmxer
Posts
9770
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Weatherford, TX, USA
8/12/2009 10:28am
thanks MXB.

You mentioned dairy as something to avoid. Could you provide more insight on why it's so bad? It seems this is a popular thing to oppose now days.
Kinetic1
Posts
2796
Joined
6/4/2009
Location
Gun Lake, MI, USA
8/12/2009 10:33am
I finally talked to my friend with ADD/ADHD. He takes St Johns wart and said it has helped him so much. He claims it has done a better job than the meds he was on for so long. That combined with eating natural foods. What's funny is he is not the type of guy to try anything considered holistic.
crowe176
Posts
6613
Joined
9/8/2006
Location
Spring Lake, MI, USA
8/12/2009 10:40am
I'll gladly trade you some St. Johns Wart for some Adderall!
motogeezer
Posts
5573
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Yorba Linda, CA, USA
8/12/2009 10:43am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:29am
My son is ADHD.

He was constantly getting in trouble at school from pre-school through Jr. High.

We tried everything we could before finally buckling to the pharmaceutical approach.

The phone calls from school stopped, but his grades didn't show any real improvement.

Last year was his first year of high school, and he got all As & Bs.

Found out he's been smoking pot.

The wife was mortified, but I figure if the prescription drugs don't work, but the non-prescription drug does, that's fine.

I never wanted my kid on drugs in the first place, so if pot works for him, I guess I'm okay with it.

The Shop

BUTCH
Posts
5088
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
8/12/2009 10:44am
ADD is a tuff deal. The main thing to remember is that it has 100's of symptoms and those symptoms have many, many, many, combos. So, one remedy may work for one person and not the other.
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
8/12/2009 10:47am
BUTCH wrote:
ADD is a tuff deal. The main thing to remember is that it has 100's of symptoms and those symptoms have many, many, many, combos. So...
ADD is a tuff deal. The main thing to remember is that it has 100's of symptoms and those symptoms have many, many, many, combos. So, one remedy may work for one person and not the other.
Correct
No magic pills, no magic remedy, no magic plan
09450f
Posts
2746
Joined
9/24/2008
Location
Temecula, HI, USA
8/12/2009 10:58am
hoe did all of us make it??..i bet alot fo us had ADD growing up..
BUTCH
Posts
5088
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
8/12/2009 11:05am
Yeah the bad thig about it back then Horny, was that know one knew what it was. Ya just got your ass beat!
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
8/12/2009 11:10am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2009 11:13am
09450f wrote:
hoe did all of us make it??..i bet alot fo us had ADD growing up..
I know I did, but didn't know it

In discussions with my, and my son's, physicians, we all agree that I am and likely always have been ADD

My smoking pot and drinking COULD likely have been my subconscious attempt to self-medicate something I didn't know I had or existed.

School was a terrible experience for me and as we have all learned, I suck at math. Numbers get jumbled in my head easily. If you told me a phone number, I would not remember it 10 seconds later because numbers turn chinese in my head.

I had terrible grades and did get ass-whuppin's...somewhere between "often" and "occasionally"
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
8/12/2009 11:16am
I think it was, "Obama is satan"
DSteg222
Posts
1109
Joined
7/13/2008
Location
Claremont, CA, USA
8/12/2009 11:20am
Oh... look... a chicken!
09450f
Posts
2746
Joined
9/24/2008
Location
Temecula, HI, USA
8/12/2009 11:20am
09450f wrote:
hoe did all of us make it??..i bet alot fo us had ADD growing up..
flarider wrote:
I know I did, but didn't know it In discussions with my, and my son's, physicians, we all agree that I am and likely always have...
I know I did, but didn't know it

In discussions with my, and my son's, physicians, we all agree that I am and likely always have been ADD

My smoking pot and drinking COULD likely have been my subconscious attempt to self-medicate something I didn't know I had or existed.

School was a terrible experience for me and as we have all learned, I suck at math. Numbers get jumbled in my head easily. If you told me a phone number, I would not remember it 10 seconds later because numbers turn chinese in my head.

I had terrible grades and did get ass-whuppin's...somewhere between "often" and "occasionally"
people are always talking about multi-tasking...and its fine,but i see people with too many tasks..i always try to concetrate on the task at hand,but i do drift alot..so i keep telling myself to concetrate and those other tasks will get done IN TIME..

Dave , you have alot of great gifts..generous,family man,run a business and still have time to research..aloha
BUTCH
Posts
5088
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
8/12/2009 11:23am
I found out I had it when my wife and I sought help for my oldest son years ago! I sucked at school and had many problems when I was 6 and under , that I got my ass beat for at home. Got my ass beat at school as well.
zjbell
Posts
2796
Joined
10/13/2006
Location
CA, CA, USA
8/12/2009 11:25am
I take St. Johns Wort, I didn't believe at first but after a few months I can really notice a difference in mood and my ability to concentrate.
09450f
Posts
2746
Joined
9/24/2008
Location
Temecula, HI, USA
8/12/2009 11:56am
BUTCH wrote:
I found out I had it when my wife and I sought help for my oldest son years ago! I sucked at school and had many...
I found out I had it when my wife and I sought help for my oldest son years ago! I sucked at school and had many problems when I was 6 and under , that I got my ass beat for at home. Got my ass beat at school as well.
lets hope your wife is still beating your ass..you deserve it
BUTCH
Posts
5088
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
8/12/2009 12:08pm
BUTCH wrote:
I found out I had it when my wife and I sought help for my oldest son years ago! I sucked at school and had many...
I found out I had it when my wife and I sought help for my oldest son years ago! I sucked at school and had many problems when I was 6 and under , that I got my ass beat for at home. Got my ass beat at school as well.
09450f wrote:
lets hope your wife is still beating your ass..you deserve it
I know! I still believe to this day , had I been with anyone else I'd have got'n the boot years ago. October will be 25 years!Wink
kaw rider9
Posts
4163
Joined
12/4/2007
Location
East Peoria, IL, USA
8/12/2009 12:47pm
Shnizle?
MXB
Posts
168
Joined
4/9/2008
Location
Illiana, IL, USA
8/12/2009 1:38pm
txmxer wrote:
thanks MXB. You mentioned dairy as something to avoid. Could you provide more insight on why it's so bad? It seems this is a popular thing...
thanks MXB.

You mentioned dairy as something to avoid. Could you provide more insight on why it's so bad? It seems this is a popular thing to oppose now days.
I have to admit I don't a lot of detail on the dairy connection.

But I did pick this up from a food allergy website.

Eating a balanced diet can help all people—including those with ADHD—function well. Those concerned about diet and ADHD hypothesize a toxic or allergic effect by some foods. The most commonly targeted foods are milk, wheat, dyes, preservatives, sugars, and caffeine. These diet elements are believed to cause or at least contribute to ADHD and ADD Symptoms.

Aren't humans the only mammals that continue to drink milk after weening? Calves thrive on cow milk. Cow's milk is designed for calves.

Cow's milk is the number one allergic food in this country. It has been well documented as a cause in diarrhea, cramps, bloating, gas, gastrointestinal bleeding, iron-deficiency anemia, skin rashes, atherosclerosis, and acne.

It is the primary cause of recurrent ear infections in children. It has also been linked to insulin dependent diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, infertility, and leukemia.


JPT
Posts
7208
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Cedar Falls, IA, USA
8/12/2009 2:19pm
My youngest was diagnosed in grade school. We fought the idea of medication but finally gave in. The results were dramatic. Calls from school dropped and grades went up. The teachers could tell you the days he didn't take it. The result was his attitude about school improved and he was generally happier. We tried the food approach too. Can't say it seem to make a difference.

Not a magic answer though. He needed consitant discipline and structure. Also lots of activities. The med's just seemed to take the edge off enough for the rest of the things to work. You don't really out grow it, you just learn to adapt.
dougie
Posts
2140
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Temecula, CA, USA
8/12/2009 2:52pm
Remember the report cards that said something like "Douglas has potential but doesnt seem to apply himself." or He seems to day dream looking out the window during class"

For me back then and today I have problems with reading mostly. When I read I usually get about 1 paragraph in before I start daydreaming about something entirely different. Math was also a problem for me, yet I have an abilty to remember dates and stats. Also art came easy for me. I seemed to be creative just not disiplined.

I also do that "hey did you see that Chicken" thing all the time. And my desk/home/garage but especially my desk....is sort of how I see my mind. WHat I mean is that inside my head its always noisy. Not always anything distinct but noisy. Its like a bowl of spaggetti up there all mixed up, each strand a different thought. The thoughts come and go and come back again. My desk is covered in "things" notes, scraps of paper, bills, batteries, visine, up to 5 pairs of glasses, pills, magnifiying glass, check books etc etc etc. If I put anything "away" I'll never find it again.

Sometimes, maybe once or twice a year I will have a moment (usually only last less than a minute) of clarity. You know how when your in a MX race and you realize its time to pull a tear off and suddenly your vision is crystal clear? Well its like that but only a few seconds a year.

I dont drink but did find years ago that a little refer would subdue the noise in my head so I could sleep at night. Unfortuately at my age its not easy to obtain so now I just exercise hours and hours each day and get so worn out I sleep ok.

The one good thing about ADD for me is when Im training for a Marathon or if Im doing long yardage in the pool. I go to DougieWorld, a place where I can day dream and get lost and every so often look down to my garmin and see that Ive just day dreamed my way thru a 5 mile run. Kinda like how everyone sometimes drives home and doesnt remember the trip. But for me its all the time.

Also easily sidetracked.....hey look a chicken!
BUTCH
Posts
5088
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
8/12/2009 2:58pm
Your desk sounds like my dresser and my side of the head board.
txmxer
Posts
9770
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Weatherford, TX, USA
8/12/2009 3:27pm
we were told at one time she had a glutten allergy. Retested her and it was not true.

She does get stomach cramps at times, but it's mostly dehydration issues.

Back to diet, trying to restrict something that everyone else eats (like bread) is one helluva a pita if you ask me. Led to a lot of problems. But, we were willing to do it if necessary, it just turns out the original positive was bullshit.
Nerd
Posts
6155
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/12/2009 3:32pm
I didn't believe in ADD until I was diagnosed with it. Even then, I questioned my psychologist, and then he basically described my life from childhood to adulthood. That convinced me.

Then, getting meds for it, that convinced me further.
Cygnus
Posts
14845
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Hanover, CO, USA
8/12/2009 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2009 3:39pm
motogeezer wrote:
My son is ADHD. He was constantly getting in trouble at school from pre-school through Jr. High. We tried everything we could before finally buckling to...
My son is ADHD.

He was constantly getting in trouble at school from pre-school through Jr. High.

We tried everything we could before finally buckling to the pharmaceutical approach.

The phone calls from school stopped, but his grades didn't show any real improvement.

Last year was his first year of high school, and he got all As & Bs.

Found out he's been smoking pot.

The wife was mortified, but I figure if the prescription drugs don't work, but the non-prescription drug does, that's fine.

I never wanted my kid on drugs in the first place, so if pot works for him, I guess I'm okay with it.
I hate the fact that Colorado Medical Marijuana is not allowing it for ADHD. I know few people that it works wonders for with ADHD. Good for your son. California allows it for mood disorders. You might get him legal if you can talk the warden into it.
JPT
Posts
7208
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Cedar Falls, IA, USA
8/12/2009 3:52pm
"The one good thing about ADD for me is when Im training for a Marathon or if Im doing long yardage in the pool. I go to DougieWorld, a place where I can day dream and get lost and every so often look down to my garmin and see that Ive just day dreamed my way thru a 5 mile run. Kinda like how everyone sometimes drives home and doesnt remember the trip. But for me its all the time. "

Interesting that you brought that up Dougie. One of the misconceptions about ADD/ADHD is that they can never concentrate. Once my son got focused on something you could hardly get him to even respond to you. As a kid he loved to build Legos. He would literally spend hours building a castle or whatever, deep in that world you're talking about.
motogeezer
Posts
5573
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Yorba Linda, CA, USA
8/12/2009 3:52pm
Cygnus wrote:
I hate the fact that Colorado Medical Marijuana is not allowing it for ADHD. I know few people that it works wonders for with ADHD. Good...
I hate the fact that Colorado Medical Marijuana is not allowing it for ADHD. I know few people that it works wonders for with ADHD. Good for your son. California allows it for mood disorders. You might get him legal if you can talk the warden into it.
I might just try that.

...if he promises to share.
Cygnus
Posts
14845
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Hanover, CO, USA
8/12/2009 3:58pm
Cygnus wrote:
I hate the fact that Colorado Medical Marijuana is not allowing it for ADHD. I know few people that it works wonders for with ADHD. Good...
I hate the fact that Colorado Medical Marijuana is not allowing it for ADHD. I know few people that it works wonders for with ADHD. Good for your son. California allows it for mood disorders. You might get him legal if you can talk the warden into it.
motogeezer wrote:
I might just try that.

...if he promises to share.
I am my 2 oldest daughters caregiver here. If he makes you his caregiver you can grow it for him.
motogeezer
Posts
5573
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Yorba Linda, CA, USA
8/12/2009 4:02pm
I've already got a nice herb garden going.

What's one more plant?

If it does as well as my basil and sage, I'll have enough for the whole neighborhood.
Cygnus
Posts
14845
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Hanover, CO, USA
8/12/2009 4:09pm
motogeezer wrote:
I've already got a nice herb garden going. What's one more plant? If it does as well as my basil and sage, I'll have enough for...
I've already got a nice herb garden going.

What's one more plant?

If it does as well as my basil and sage, I'll have enough for the whole neighborhood.
LMAO!
Not everyone
has a green thumb.
MXB
Posts
168
Joined
4/9/2008
Location
Illiana, IL, USA
8/12/2009 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2009 4:13pm
txmxer wrote:
we were told at one time she had a glutten allergy. Retested her and it was not true. She does get stomach cramps at times, but...
we were told at one time she had a glutten allergy. Retested her and it was not true.

She does get stomach cramps at times, but it's mostly dehydration issues.

Back to diet, trying to restrict something that everyone else eats (like bread) is one helluva a pita if you ask me. Led to a lot of problems. But, we were willing to do it if necessary, it just turns out the original positive was bullshit.
How did you get her tested? What was the procedure? Blood? Stool Sample? Biopsy?

Post a reply to: ADD/ADHD

The Latest