3D CAD studs, I need your help!

Related:
Create New Tag

12/20/2017 8:48 AM

OK, someone here must know how to do what I'm trying to do. Keep in mind I know virtually nothing about CAD, except how to move it around in my Acrobat viewer.

I have two STEP files that I need to convert to "UG" format so the parent company can manipulate them and do some virtual testing. Apparently, nobody here can support UG format, and it's the only format they can or will use in Japan.

From what I can glean online, this means we're trying to go from Solidworks to Siemens in some way. Help????

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/20/2017 9:01 AM

Did 2 minutes of research. Looks like UG is NX now. My Inventor doesnt have an export option for either format. Why cant they convert it from stp themselves? Sorry I am no help at all haha

|

12/20/2017 9:07 AM

Yeah, I was getting that same answer from Google myself. I still don't see how to convert .stp to NX though.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/20/2017 9:19 AM

Download a Japanese copy of solid works and convert to ng for them? I don't know. Honestly just seems silly. Just make sure you save a duplicate before trying to convert it, just in case.

|

12/20/2017 9:27 AM

It does seem silly. I can't believe that their program won't open a STEP file. It seems pretty universal from what I can see....

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/20/2017 9:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/20/2017 9:43 AM

Your virtual testing I'm assuming is FEA? If so almost all commercial FEA programs accept STEP files. At least the ones I work with.

|

12/20/2017 10:00 AM

LumpDog841 wrote:

Your virtual testing I'm assuming is FEA? If so almost all commercial FEA programs accept STEP files. At least the ones I work with.

The virtual testing will be for fitment and shape, so....

FEA= Finite ____ anaylsis? Sounds about right.

The problem is that my parent company's program doesn't appear to accept anything other than UG format. Apparently, all the automotive manufacturers use it but nobody else does.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/20/2017 10:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/20/2017 10:20 AM

Yes, FEA = finite element analysis. Not sure why it wouldn't take STEP (or IGES) as well. I use Creo Parametric and can save as almost anything but not NX, sorry.

|

12/20/2017 10:41 AM

seth505 wrote:

Yes, FEA = finite element analysis. Not sure why it wouldn't take STEP (or IGES) as well. I use Creo Parametric and can save as almost anything but not NX, sorry.

And now you feel my pain. Every program in the world can import/export from/to everything except UG, apparently.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/20/2017 10:58 AM

seth505 wrote:

Falcon wrote:

And now you feel my pain. Every program in the world can import/export from/to everything except UG, apparently.

Ya, it's crazy. I can import NX stuff fine but cannot export as that file type, just every other type known to man!

|

12/20/2017 12:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/20/2017 12:49 PM

Try here ;

http://www.datakit.com/cad-convertors/all-to-step/0-7-0.html

Can go from SolidWorks to UG

|

Paul Swinney - Part time Euro-Cycles..... Ah, the good stuff

12/20/2017 3:25 PM

SouthwestMfg wrote:

Try here ;

http://www.datakit.com/cad-convertors/all-to-step/0-7-0.html

Can go from SolidWorks to UG

Oh, sweet! Thanks dude, I'll try that.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/4/2018 6:36 AM

Falcon wrote:

The virtual testing will be for fitment and shape, so....

FEA= Finite ____ anaylsis? Sounds about right.

The problem is that my parent company's program doesn't appear to accept anything other than UG format. Apparently, all the automotive manufacturers use it but nobody else does.

Falcon, sorry for the super slow reply. Yes, FEA = Finite Element Analysis. Did you ever get your problem resolved?

|

1/4/2018 9:55 AM

Yes, I got the problem fixed. My vendor was able to export the file to .x_t format and it worked in the UG program.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.