125 2 stroke or 250 4 stroke? Which is the most reliable, easiest and cheapest or purchase and maintain?

Edited Date/Time 2/13/2013 8:44am
I am looking at buying either a 125 2 stroke or a 250 4 stroke but I aren't sure which to buy so need pros and cons for each please! Cheers (:
|
PK27RACING
11/10/2012 7:08pm
125 2strokes are cheaper to rebuild, light and most of the parts are cheaper also, like exhaust systems pipes, ect, mainly engine parts because there isent much to a 2 stroke motor. both 2 strokes and 4 strokes very inprice depending on what you want. and far as maintenance goes, there about even except when it comes to doing a rebuild, because a 4 strokes has more parts, valves cams, cam chain, ect, and a bike is only going to be as reliable as your mainentance you put in it, bad maintenance bad reliability. really its all on what you want to ride,
11/12/2012 6:09am
2 stroke if you're just a beginner. If the 4 breaks, you wreck it, or grenades, it'll be a pain in the ass to fix it. 4 strokes are also harder to maintain and keep in good condition. GO FOR DA TWO STROKE!
11/12/2012 6:25am
125 easier to maintain, more fun to ride
and will teach you better moto-skills than a four stroke (corner speed etc)
Slamdrew
12/5/2012 11:59am
I was in the same boat as you. I have been riding streetbikes for the last 5 years, and was looking to get into offroad. I looked at at least 12 bikes and done tons and tons of reading before I decided on going with a 2 stroke for my first offroad bike. As far as the questions in your title go, I would say both are equally reliable (as long as the work done to them is legitimate), and the 2 stroke is easiest to maintain, and cheaper to purchase. I think it could be argued that the 4 stroke is more reliable, but when the time comes for you to change out the head, you will be happy you went with the 2 smoker.

And I can't testify, but everyone seems to agree that if you learn on a 2 stroke, switching over to a 4 stroke will feel like heaven. I'm gonna ride my 125 for a couple years then sell it for a nice 4 stroke.

The Shop

Prairieboy43
12/19/2012 7:51pm
125 go for it. learn to Rail the berms and keep the throttle pinned. Replace top end. Replace top end. Momemtum is the key.
BAMX
1/14/2013 1:42pm
125 no doubt...
2/1/2013 9:32pm
125! Shifting, braking, power control (keeping it in the powerband) and balance are all key to learning how to ride. A 125 needs better control to go fast so u need to 'overdo' it a bit on a small smoker. A 4stroke rides more easy and is more forgiving on mistakes due to the torque, engine braking of the 4t makes it allot easyer aswell.

125 is better for learning how to ride AND it's cheaper to maintain (including rebuilds).
victor16
2/13/2013 8:44am
2 stroke if you're just a beginner. If the 4 breaks, you wreck it, or grenades, it'll be a pain in the ass to fix it...
2 stroke if you're just a beginner. If the 4 breaks, you wreck it, or grenades, it'll be a pain in the ass to fix it. 4 strokes are also harder to maintain and keep in good condition. GO FOR DA TWO STROKE!
Yeap... I back that statement. 2 strokes would be the way to go... waaaayyyy cheaper to maintain and a lot more fun… but there are some variables that you may consider ex… what are you planning to do with the bike… if motocross or H&S / enduro.? Are you riding for fun or trying to compete against 4 strokes? also your weight.. if you are too heavy ( eeerrr no more than 160-170 preferably) maybe you could consider a 250 2 stroke instead… and finally money access. If money is not a problem, get what you really want and feel comfortable with. Either type of bike needs good maintenance and care. But most likely, at the end of the day… 125 2 stroke is the way to go. braapppp

Post a reply to: 125 2 stroke or 250 4 stroke? Which is the most reliable, easiest and cheapest or purchase and maintain?

The Latest