Windham transfer question

robkinuk
Posts
4286
Joined
5/16/2007
Location
Ashbourne, GB
Edited Date/Time 2/23/2012 8:41am
Do Feld give K-Dub any time to practice his opening ceremony transfer jumps?
Got to be some ballsy moves if your hitting them blind!
|
AUS_Twisted
Posts
1153
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Melbourne, AU
2/23/2012 3:04am
He only gets to practice them during that day from what I've read and seen.
Thor34103
Posts
287
Joined
7/22/2011
Location
Tampa, FL, USA
2/23/2012 3:05am
I have seen videos posted where he is practicing in the afternoon. Still, it has to be quite different doing it in the dark.....
Jefro98
Posts
2472
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
6712, NL
2/23/2012 3:13am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2012 3:14am
Yep, I have seen a lot of vids of Windham doing an afternoon practice.

Doing a transfer at daylight is cool but in the dark is crazy.
Here is a Kardy pic of the Dallas transfer in the dark.

jndmx
Posts
9699
Joined
1/20/2008
Location
South Kingston, RI, USA
2/23/2012 3:30am
Straight up bad ass.

The Shop

TeamGreen
Posts
37707
Joined
11/25/2008
Location
Thru-out, CA, USA
2/23/2012 4:38am
Dallas was crazy. He did it once, that I saw, after the last timed practice session.
2/23/2012 4:58am
Do you really think Kevin Windham would just huck himself off a massive jump without practicing it first? He's a professional motocross racer, not an idiot.
Flip109
Posts
3460
Joined
6/15/2007
Location
USA
2/23/2012 5:00am
Yea he usually does it only once or twice sometimes after practice. Then goes and does it in the dark. Guy is insane!
newmann
Posts
24437
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
2/23/2012 5:17am
Do you really think Kevin Windham would just huck himself off a massive jump without practicing it first? He's a professional motocross racer, not an idiot.
Practice? I saw him line it up in practice at Houston last year and just go for it. Not sure if I would exactly call that practice. So yes, he actually does just huck himself off a massive jump. But I guess if that's what you do every day.....
2/23/2012 5:30am
newmann wrote:
Practice? I saw him line it up in practice at Houston last year and just go for it. Not sure if I would exactly call that...
Practice? I saw him line it up in practice at Houston last year and just go for it. Not sure if I would exactly call that practice. So yes, he actually does just huck himself off a massive jump. But I guess if that's what you do every day.....
Exactly... you saw him line it up in "practice." He doesn't just blindly huck himself over a transfer during the opening ceremony.
2/23/2012 5:31am
That pic is insane. Does he get paid for these transfers? If so, I hope it is worth the risk. Love watcing these jumps, but it would really suck to see him wad it up doing what is basically FMX.
Clapped
Posts
191
Joined
7/8/2010
Location
Peoria, AZ, USA
2/23/2012 6:02am
That pic is insane. Does he get paid for these transfers? If so, I hope it is worth the risk. Love watcing these jumps, but it...
That pic is insane. Does he get paid for these transfers? If so, I hope it is worth the risk. Love watcing these jumps, but it would really suck to see him wad it up doing what is basically FMX.
I don't think he does. He just does it cuz it's something cool to do and get more fan support. And where are you getting FMX from? I haven't seen him throw a trick on one of his transfers.
2/23/2012 6:06am
Clapped wrote:
I don't think he does. He just does it cuz it's something cool to do and get more fan support. And where are you getting FMX...
I don't think he does. He just does it cuz it's something cool to do and get more fan support. And where are you getting FMX from? I haven't seen him throw a trick on one of his transfers.
His transfer jump is a gratuitous exhibition and simply for show. FMX is an appropriate analogy.
AUS_Twisted
Posts
1153
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Melbourne, AU
2/23/2012 6:58am
That pic is insane. Does he get paid for these transfers? If so, I hope it is worth the risk. Love watcing these jumps, but it...
That pic is insane. Does he get paid for these transfers? If so, I hope it is worth the risk. Love watcing these jumps, but it would really suck to see him wad it up doing what is basically FMX.
Clapped wrote:
I don't think he does. He just does it cuz it's something cool to do and get more fan support. And where are you getting FMX...
I don't think he does. He just does it cuz it's something cool to do and get more fan support. And where are you getting FMX from? I haven't seen him throw a trick on one of his transfers.
Well it is FMX, you don't have to throw a trick to call it FMX. FMX originally started from open terrain freeriding like what you see in the early Crusty - Terrafirma videos etc.
2/23/2012 7:23am
Do you really think Kevin Windham would just huck himself off a massive jump without practicing it first? He's a professional motocross racer, not an idiot.
He gets minimal practice at best, on rain days when track was covered till last minute he has gotten no practice.
Total bad ass!!! It's no wonder he's everyone's favorite, probably the only rider introduced that you'll never hear a boo.
newmann
Posts
24437
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
2/23/2012 8:10am
newmann wrote:
Practice? I saw him line it up in practice at Houston last year and just go for it. Not sure if I would exactly call that...
Practice? I saw him line it up in practice at Houston last year and just go for it. Not sure if I would exactly call that practice. So yes, he actually does just huck himself off a massive jump. But I guess if that's what you do every day.....
Exactly... you saw him line it up in "practice." He doesn't just blindly huck himself over a transfer during the opening ceremony.
Point A to point B + giant gap= Hit it. Not exactly what I would call practice. Still has to hit it that first time. Big nuts for certain. But Windham has been hitting huge stuff since before he went pro. I saw him nail a huge jump here in Texas back in early 1994 and he was clearing the tops of pine trees. True story.....at least from the angle I was looking from.Smile
jtomasik
Posts
12895
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Golden, CO, USA
2/23/2012 8:14am
newmann wrote:
Point A to point B + giant gap= Hit it. Not exactly what I would call practice. Still has to hit it that first time. Big...
Point A to point B + giant gap= Hit it. Not exactly what I would call practice. Still has to hit it that first time. Big nuts for certain. But Windham has been hitting huge stuff since before he went pro. I saw him nail a huge jump here in Texas back in early 1994 and he was clearing the tops of pine trees. True story.....at least from the angle I was looking from.Smile
That's because his bike is heavier. If it was lighter, he'd be in big trouble.
newmann
Posts
24437
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
2/23/2012 8:20am
jtomasik wrote:
That's because his bike is heavier. If it was lighter, he'd be in big trouble.
No joke. Gotta love the internet, learn something new every day.
jndmx
Posts
9699
Joined
1/20/2008
Location
South Kingston, RI, USA
2/23/2012 8:35am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2012 8:37am
What got me about the Dallas one was how close he was to the pyro on the finish structure.

When we went to Atlanta a few years back we had to be 50-60 feet away from the finish and when they hit that pyro we could feel the heat.
jtomasik
Posts
12895
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Golden, CO, USA
2/23/2012 8:38am
jtomasik wrote:
That's because his bike is heavier. If it was lighter, he'd be in big trouble.
newmann wrote:
No joke. Gotta love the internet, learn something new every day.
I hope the manufacturers are reading these boards and paying attention. They sure could learn something here!
peelout
Posts
18421
Joined
1/6/2011
Location
Ogden, UT, USA
2/23/2012 8:41am
we watched him practice the transfer last year in Vegas and it was fuckin nuts. wide open, shifted at least 3 times, and almost ate shit.

turned around and hucked it again and nailed it. then came out and did it for the night show and almost wrecked again.

Windham has some gnarly balls, that's for sure

Post a reply to: Windham transfer question

The Latest