When Porting a head

jmx281
Posts
58
Joined
12/14/2009
Location
USA
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 7:51pm
When you port a head is it bad to shave down the valve guides to make them flush? I have heard either way its good or bad, that it increases air flow, but it decreases the life span and easier to snap or drop a valve. Does anyone have any info on this?
|
onenastynotch
Posts
724
Joined
3/3/2007
Location
West Babylon, NY, USA
4/11/2011 7:33pm
there is less support for the valve stem which in turn wears out the guide faster ....it does pick up decent gains from the guide being out of the airflow but bad for longevity
TerryK
Posts
9899
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
CA
4/11/2011 9:13pm
A word of advice: If you don't know what you are doing, don't touch it!

Seriously.
tunedlength
Posts
2783
Joined
12/9/2006
Location
Ontario, CA, USA
4/11/2011 9:48pm
I'm with Terry on this one.
The answer can be yes or no (or somewhere in between for that matter)
Sometimes just cleaning up the ports will actually result in a loss of power.
You need to know if your motor requires more volume or more velocity and on which side, intake, exhaust or both.
This alone is no simple task. On top of the hard earned knowledge you need a flow bench, degree wheel, good bore gauges and a way to accurately measure port volume.

If you have the porting done, I would recommend a shop that does CNC porting.
Today's modern motors are designed well from the factory and successful port modification require laser accuracy to make gains.
There are a few of guys that do good CNC port work (Dasa in Riverside, TUFF Racing and Cosworth come to mind).
jmx281
Posts
58
Joined
12/14/2009
Location
USA
4/11/2011 10:12pm
Oh yea for sure I would never personally port my head.
One of the guys that I was going to have do it, learned how from Dasa and he says to cut them.
The other guy I was talking to about doing them says don't cut them.

So I was just seeing what people have to say about each way of doing it to help better make a choice on who do it I guess.

Personally everyone has there way they think is better, so I guess either one wouldn't make that that big of a difference.

The Shop

wow123
Posts
1162
Joined
4/27/2010
Location
AX
4/11/2011 10:12pm
I'm with Terry on this one. The answer can be yes or no (or somewhere in between for that matter) Sometimes just cleaning up the ports...
I'm with Terry on this one.
The answer can be yes or no (or somewhere in between for that matter)
Sometimes just cleaning up the ports will actually result in a loss of power.
You need to know if your motor requires more volume or more velocity and on which side, intake, exhaust or both.
This alone is no simple task. On top of the hard earned knowledge you need a flow bench, degree wheel, good bore gauges and a way to accurately measure port volume.

If you have the porting done, I would recommend a shop that does CNC porting.
Today's modern motors are designed well from the factory and successful port modification require laser accuracy to make gains.
There are a few of guys that do good CNC port work (Dasa in Riverside, TUFF Racing and Cosworth come to mind).
Yep finding deficiencies in a motor is not easy
and
sometimes
its a suck it and see exercise
Nerd
Posts
6155
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
4/11/2011 10:17pm
I just wanted to post in here to point out how cool it is that people are actually talking about dirt bikes that they ride.
Tiki
Posts
10674
Joined
8/1/2006
Location
Corona, CA, USA
Fantasy
4/12/2011 12:26am
I can't imagine the gain would be anything substantial when weighed against reliability. Especially on small bore, these things are wound tight as it is, the thought of putting a couple extra notches in it for maybe a whole HP gain sounds risky. But I honestly don't know.

Post a reply to: When Porting a head

The Latest