Powder coated Swingarms

Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:53pm
i'm thinking of having my swingarms powdercoated and was wondering if anyone has done it and does it hold up??? thanks
|
newmann
1/6/2010 6:06pm
It is more durable than paint , but it will scratch and chip too. For me , it is an absolute pain in the ass to strip off powdercoating when you need to do a repair or to strip it to refinish it. I know several people on here do powdercoating, maybe they'll chime in. I had the frame and swingarm , along with the hubs powdercoated on this one. Definitely more convenient for me to just drop the parts off and pick them up when they are finished versus wasting an entire weekend blasting prepping and painting!

1/6/2010 6:32pm
my Snap On guy does it and wants to do some stuff for me. because my bikes are head to toe bling he knows he'll get exposure. i just dont want them to chip and look like shit
1/6/2010 6:33pm
newmann wrote:
It is more durable than paint , but it will scratch and chip too. For me , it is an absolute pain in the ass to...
It is more durable than paint , but it will scratch and chip too. For me , it is an absolute pain in the ass to strip off powdercoating when you need to do a repair or to strip it to refinish it. I know several people on here do powdercoating, maybe they'll chime in. I had the frame and swingarm , along with the hubs powdercoated on this one. Definitely more convenient for me to just drop the parts off and pick them up when they are finished versus wasting an entire weekend blasting prepping and painting!

that bike looks great!!!
MOgle80
1/6/2010 6:38pm
to be fair , I would ask you what color are you making it? I did a KX swingarm about 10 years ago and when there was chips I hated it. BUT the powder coat came out sort of gold and the under neath was naturally aluminum, so if you match the natural color it is better.

The Shop

1/6/2010 6:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:50pm
he was gonna do black. my forks are out getting annodized black right now.
either that or i was gonna have the swingarms chromed??
Kawirider
1/6/2010 6:49pm
If you do the swingarm black you should do the frame IMO... If it's not black already.
1/6/2010 6:59pm
Kawirider wrote:
If you do the swingarm black you should do the frame IMO... If it's not black already.
+2, looks smoother with both done. I have did my swingarm once myself, works great but the swingarm has to be blasted and prepped perfectly!! What does the bike look like right now?
Lightning78
1/6/2010 7:20pm
I don't have any experience with powder coating swingarms but IMO ........ I don't think it's a good idea to PC a swingarm they are too easily damaged and exposed to being scratched and chipped from rocks and such and it will look like crap if it starts to chip away.....If it's more of a show bike and not your regular riding bike they it would look pretty cool.
Rooster
1/6/2010 7:58pm
Mine has held up fine, but I stay out of the dirt for the most part these days.

Nice thing about black is that if you do chip it, you don't need to try and match colors if you're touching it up later.
Camp332
1/6/2010 8:15pm
Don't talk shit about my cousin. He will make your swingarm look like Cash!
Shocker
1/7/2010 3:07am
newmann wrote:
It is more durable than paint , but it will scratch and chip too. For me , it is an absolute pain in the ass to...

Newman
Amazing how one picture can bring back endless memories and even the faint smell of Klotz in my office. Thanks for the pics AWESOME!!!!!
McQ42
1/7/2010 5:09am
i had a swingarm powdercoated from my 2002 yz250f back in 2003 from a reputable powdercoater and it ended up warping my swingarm. i had to pry the swingarm apart to fit my wheel. ended up purchasing a new one.
just my own experience. take it for what it's worth.
indy_maico
1/7/2010 5:32am
Powder coating aluminum is stupid.

It adds weight, and because of the temps involved, it may warp or weaken it.

Anodizing is the answer.
Cygnus
1/7/2010 5:54am
Powder coat is no better than Krylon shake and spray.+ It looks cheesy. Anodize it or polish it.
aedwards07
1/7/2010 7:21am
Anodize it or just leave it scotch brited.Polished swingarms are lame.
1/7/2010 12:25pm
Kawirider wrote:
751 wrote:
+2, looks smoother with both done. I have did my swingarm once myself, works great but the swingarm has to be blasted and prepped perfectly!! What...
+2, looks smoother with both done. I have did my swingarm once myself, works great but the swingarm has to be blasted and prepped perfectly!! What does the bike look like right now?
one bike has zero hrs. the other 30. that swingarm is perfect.
1/7/2010 12:26pm
Camp332 wrote:
Don't talk shit about my cousin. He will make your swingarm look like Cash!
did i talk shit Daniel??? ha ha i know he'll do a fine job!!!
1/7/2010 12:28pm
aedwards07 wrote:
Anodize it or just leave it scotch brited.Polished swingarms are lame.
hmmm Vegas Boy, maybe i should have sent them with my forks yesterday
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
1/7/2010 12:36pm
newmann wrote:

Just one photo? What the hell are you thinking? Freaking interweb...

Post a reply to: Powder coated Swingarms

The Latest