National Enduro Race report

Larry
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:09am

The kid and I headed up to Wedgefield S.C. this weekend for the Sumter National Enduro, the first round of the National series. This was Jr’s first Nat. on a big bike and he was excited and more than a little nervous. There were over 600 pre entries but due to the winter storm (which luckily went north of the events location) only 420 made it to the starting line.

The Champs bike is a beautiful example of Austrian engineering and old world craftsmanship. Unfortunately due to my kid being on the 83 row and a camera malfunction this is the only pics I got of Bobbitts bike.

Yes it’s a 2 smoke and when you hear Mr. Bobbitt charging through the woods it reminds you of SX in the early 90’s.

Mike Lafferty has moved to Husaberg this year in search of his 9th National title.

The kid checking out Lafferty’s lines.

Charlie Mullins is back on Team Yamaha this year for the GNCC series but he may want to consider changing to the National Enduro series after the day he had.
Right out of the box Mullins had the throttle set to kill and he road like this for 72 miles and 5 hours.

Brad Bakken KTM’s newest team member had a bit of an off day (for him) and rode to 10th overall.

Big Nick Fahringer who would just as soon go through a tree instead of around it had a good start to the series and finished 5th right behind teammate Lafferty.

Jordan Brandt cruised his Beemer to 40th overall, not bad for BMW’s first National.

Jr. started on row 83 which meant he would have to deal with about 400 other bikes ahead of him sand whoops. He was looking good at the end of the first test.

A little off road styling for the fans.

Seeing lots of new Huskies this year. Those Italians (now owned by Germans) sure do build a sexy scooter.

Cody Fennel, remember that name. He just got off of mini’s this year and is destroying the C class. Look for him to jump right to the A class and then the pros.

Here is the young man that rode on the same row as my son, they have been riding together for a year now and really push each other. I am really pleased with the friends that Jr. has been making in the off road community. Lots of good folks out there and they really look after one another.

The kid got a bad case of whiskey throttle trying to make up some time in the second section and wasted his front fender. He told me that fender saved his life though. Threw itself right in front of the tree.The carnage continued and by the end of the event he needed a new number plate and hand guard.

Steward Baylor made a great Pro debut for KTM. He has signed to ride XC2 this year at the GNCC’s but charged to an impressive 8th today.

Wally Palmer is the Magoo of the off road world. He pins the throttle and has more fun than anyone.

This is the beginning of the last section for Jr, a grueling 16 mile run of whooped sand trail through tight Carolina Pines. Makes me think of that Nirvana song from their un plugged “ In the Pines In the Pines”.

Young Cory Buttrick who will be riding for KTM in the XC1 class at the GNCC’s rode strong all day as well.
For fans of the ISDE this kid is one of the future US stars and represented us well in 2009 in his rookie debut of that event.

The final standings were Mullins First Buttrick 2nd Bobbitt 3rd Lafferty 4th and Fahringer 5th.
With Mullins and Buttrick moving on the GNCC it looks like another hammer and tong battle between Bobbitt and Lafferty this year.
Jr finished 9th out of 20 in his class. He was really bummed until I pointed out that the top 3 in his class had better scores than all of the 200 B riders and all but 3 of the 200 A riders. On top of that it was a National and anytime you go top ten in a Nat you should hold your head up high.
We had a great ride home laughing about his whiskey throttle and listening to Led Zep tunes.
|
ebers
Fantasy
250th
2/1/2010 8:15pm
Sounds like a blast! Thanks for the report on that, and sounds like Jr's learning the ropes! Keep it up
Larry
2/2/2010 6:25am
ebers wrote:
Sounds like a blast! Thanks for the report on that, and sounds like Jr's learning the ropes! Keep it up
thanks ebers. I think I am having as much fun as the kid.Smile
G-man
2/2/2010 6:27am
Awesome picture report Larry--Thanks~! Woohoo
DDub8
2/2/2010 6:53am
Great report and it sucks about the sandbaggers. Our local series DQs riders that could run top 3 in the class above them so it controls some of the problem.

What's the format for these races? No timekeeping and special test times determine the winner? I always sucked at the timekeeping stuff so enduros weren't much fun.

The Shop

tatonka
2/2/2010 6:55am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:31pm
Nice report & pics Larry - Thanks! That crazy weather sure put a damper on the whole thing...how many folks bothered to make it out for the pit bike race?
Larry
2/2/2010 7:08am
tatonka wrote:
Nice report & pics Larry - Thanks! That crazy weather sure put a damper on the whole thing...how many folks bothered to make it out for...
Nice report & pics Larry - Thanks! That crazy weather sure put a damper on the whole thing...how many folks bothered to make it out for the pit bike race?
only about 20. It was in the teens with snow flurries and the wind was howling!
Half of those bikes would not even run.
Larry
2/2/2010 7:14am
DDub8 wrote:
Great report and it sucks about the sandbaggers. Our local series DQs riders that could run top 3 in the class above them so it controls...
Great report and it sucks about the sandbaggers. Our local series DQs riders that could run top 3 in the class above them so it controls some of the problem.

What's the format for these races? No timekeeping and special test times determine the winner? I always sucked at the timekeeping stuff so enduros weren't much fun.
Its not really Sandbagging. These kids just got off minis last year and they are not breaking any rules. Most of them also run the GNCC events and if they rode in B at a SETRA event they would have to ride B in GNCC which they may not be ready for.
I was kind of flustered about it in the begining of the season but then my kid said "Dad I might as well start trying to race with them now because I will be racing them for a long time.
I was proud of the kid though, on the way home I suggested that he drop out of the HS series that he is doing well in because he is going to point out of the C class for next year. I said that you could win that C class next year but he said "No I want to move up as fast as I can and get faster.
TWicks
2/2/2010 7:17am
Good report! Sounds like you guys had a great time!
wfo75080
2/2/2010 7:30am
Very nice report. Kudos to Jr. I will be heading out for the Alligator enduro as well as Bike Week and Daytona.
Good Luck this season!

D
stumpjumper
2/2/2010 7:47am
Are you coming to the last national in Indiana?It is a good Enduro,I like to hear about young kids coming along in the off-road world,We need more exposure than we are getting,But it's getting there.O tell him good job that's a tough race.
DDub8
2/2/2010 7:53am
Larry wrote:
Its not really Sandbagging. These kids just got off minis last year and they are not breaking any rules. Most of them also run the GNCC...
Its not really Sandbagging. These kids just got off minis last year and they are not breaking any rules. Most of them also run the GNCC events and if they rode in B at a SETRA event they would have to ride B in GNCC which they may not be ready for.
I was kind of flustered about it in the begining of the season but then my kid said "Dad I might as well start trying to race with them now because I will be racing them for a long time.
I was proud of the kid though, on the way home I suggested that he drop out of the HS series that he is doing well in because he is going to point out of the C class for next year. I said that you could win that C class next year but he said "No I want to move up as fast as I can and get faster.
Sounds like he has a great attitude and one that you don't see very often. I'm sure he'll do well and hope to see his name in the A and Pro classes in a few years.
motoman0
Fantasy
1251st
2/2/2010 7:57am
My bike got in the first pic. The Kaw on the right side. I had the worst race weekend of my life. Trans trouble on my buddys truck on the way down. Brake trouble in the race and somehow missed the last b cutoff check.
2/2/2010 8:12am
Thank you for the great pictures and narrative Larry. I can still remember the first Sumter enduro that we went to (~1992?). That is one ruff n tuff course (and I was just a spectator).
Racer92
2/2/2010 8:17am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2010 8:17am
Cool stuff Larry, congrats to Jr. for hanging in there til the finish. Scrambles are brutal for man & machine both. If it would dry up around here Id like to hit some TORCs races this year myself.
Larry
2/2/2010 2:12pm
motoman0 wrote:
My bike got in the first pic. The Kaw on the right side. I had the worst race weekend of my life. Trans trouble on my...
My bike got in the first pic. The Kaw on the right side. I had the worst race weekend of my life. Trans trouble on my buddys truck on the way down. Brake trouble in the race and somehow missed the last b cutoff check.
What was your row number? I may have some more.
motoman0
Fantasy
1251st
2/2/2010 5:41pm
Row 77B. I still had fun , you going to the next round?
jwhite66
2/2/2010 6:04pm
Go report Larry, My son and I will be at Cherokee , You should look
us up on Sat. ( we may be the only ones on Kawasaki 250 smokers)
Larry
2/2/2010 6:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2010 6:27pm
motoman0 wrote:
Row 77B. I still had fun , you going to the next round?
yep, that one is close to home. I will check tomorrow for the pics.
Larry
2/2/2010 6:28pm
jwhite66 wrote:
Go report Larry, My son and I will be at Cherokee , You should look us up on Sat. ( we may be the only ones...
Go report Larry, My son and I will be at Cherokee , You should look
us up on Sat. ( we may be the only ones on Kawasaki 250 smokers)
Thanks. we will be there and will look for you. Do you know your row number yet?
2/2/2010 7:01pm
Mullins has been doing all of the FTR Hare Scrambles this winter. He has looked extremely fast, hopefully he'll get that championship in the GNCC's this year.
Katoom Crazy
2/2/2010 7:44pm
And what a tough race it was......Not my best results all season but just finishing the grueling race was enough to keep a smile on my face. By the way it was my second national if you don't remember (which doesn't suprise me) the Rad Dad was my first on the big bike.
Larry
2/3/2010 7:00am
And what a tough race it was......Not my best results all season but just finishing the grueling race was enough to keep a smile on my...
And what a tough race it was......Not my best results all season but just finishing the grueling race was enough to keep a smile on my face. By the way it was my second national if you don't remember (which doesn't suprise me) the Rad Dad was my first on the big bike.
Great another noob.Wink
Larry
2/3/2010 7:01am
Mullins has been doing all of the FTR Hare Scrambles this winter. He has looked extremely fast, hopefully he'll get that championship in the GNCC's this...
Mullins has been doing all of the FTR Hare Scrambles this winter. He has looked extremely fast, hopefully he'll get that championship in the GNCC's this year.
I think he likes his new Yamaha's.
2/3/2010 10:27am
I may have seen that fender out on the trail... Of course, there were quite a few fenders, pieces of shrouds, handguards, roll offs and whatever else scattered throughout the trail by the time I got out there... I was on 106 lol

Post a reply to: National Enduro Race report

The Latest