Light weight seat foam

moto0852
Edited Date/Time 11/19/2015 1:07pm
So in the "Suzuki rumor" thread there is some discussion on light weight seat foam.
I'm interested in some feedback of those of you who have gone this route.

What's the difference between guts and Athink ? I've heard guts is cheaper but Athink is lighter?

How deep do you go? Just seat foam or the carbon fiber base and titanium bolts as well?

What's your total weight savings been and would you recommend?

|
JBernard_401
11/3/2015 4:26pm
Tokyo Tiddler did weight comparisons to the stocker. he would be best person to ask. may want to shoot him a PM and get him to reply in here.
Matthes
11/3/2015 5:38pm
Guts Racing bro! Use the Pulpmx code to save a bit, it's what PC and many teams use.
stillwelding
11/3/2015 6:21pm
Matthes wrote:
Guts Racing bro! Use the Pulpmx code to save a bit, it's what PC and many teams use.
That's just a plug for Pulp MX, use Think! Technology, lighter by far and what the REAL factory teams use in the GP's.

The Shop

GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4002nd
11/3/2015 6:40pm
That's just a plug for Pulp MX, use Think! Technology, lighter by far and what the REAL factory teams use in the GP's.
Think! Technology stuff is badass!! I'm intrested in getting their foam that goes under your fenders & skid plate. No mud is supposed to stick. Thats huge when your a woods rider like myself down south w/ this GA red clay! Their CF seat pans are pretty rad too!
Matthes
11/3/2015 6:48pm
Well yeah it's a plug (what's your post, free advice?) but PC, RCH and many more use Guts for their seat needs so it's a pretty legit and good company. And there's a discount at that.

I guess PC and RCH aren't REAL (all caps use by you) factory teams.
Jack_Wagon
11/3/2015 7:13pm
Matthes wrote:
Is Pulpmx the code, or is there an actual code?
Matthes
11/3/2015 7:24pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
pulpmx2015 is the code.
Jrewing
11/3/2015 7:41pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
Matthes wrote:
pulpmx2015 is the code.
Thanks heaps. Was about to drop money on one. There's the sweetener!!
moto0852
11/3/2015 8:10pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
Matthes wrote:
pulpmx2015 is the code.
I feel more like a factory rider now with the pulpmx codes than I did when I was "getting stuff at cost" which somehow was always about the same as retail.
Jrewing
11/3/2015 8:19pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
Matthes wrote:
pulpmx2015 is the code.
Damn straight it's the code... What a deal!

Thanks again
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
11/3/2015 8:33pm
Matthes wrote:
Well yeah it's a plug (what's your post, free advice?) but PC, RCH and many more use Guts for their seat needs so it's a pretty...
Well yeah it's a plug (what's your post, free advice?) but PC, RCH and many more use Guts for their seat needs so it's a pretty legit and good company. And there's a discount at that.

Panties a little bunched up Steve ? Lol
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
11/3/2015 8:38pm
(1) History. You probably have never heard of Think, but Think parts can be found on the bikes of Ryan Villopoto, Justin Barcia, Chad Reed, James Stewart, Trey Canard, Broc Tickle, Jake Weimer and Josh Hill. What does Think make? Ultra-lightweight seat foam. And we aren’t talking about a tad lighter, a little lighter or even significantly lighter—we are talking about phenomenally lighter.

(2) Lite seat foam. Think Lite seat foam was created from foam originally designed for use by NASA. The blocks of proprietary closed-cell polyolefin foam are CNC-machined into shape and hand-finished. Each seat takes one hour to complete.

(3) Weight. We weighed the stock seat foam from a 2014 KTM 450SXF. It weighed 1 pound. The Think KTM seat foam weighed 3 ounces. The Think foam was 13 ounces lighter. You read that right! Although Think Lite foam is expensive at $260, it is cheap when you realize how much it would cost in titanium bolts to save that much weight.

(4) The future. Since Think makes the seat covers for the factory teams, they have more tricks up their sleeves. There are Think carbon fiber seat bases, titanium seat bolts and special seat covers that can save almost 2 pounds over a stock seat. How much would a complete Think seat cost? For the foam, seat base, cover and Ti bolts, the price could easily exceed $600.

(5) Performance. The MXA wrecking crew has a lot of experience with lightweight seats, because we have ridden virtually every works bike made. But, riding factory bikes with lightweight seats isn’t the same as living with them, so we installed Think Lite seat foam on our KTM 450SXF and started racing with it. It held up much better than the stock KTM foam and showed no signs of sagging after three months of racing.

(6) Downside. Most motocross racers want to buy anything that the factory riders use, but will they buy a part that is hidden under their seat cover? Even when MXA showed the Think seat to its test riders, we had to take it off the bike and hand it to them. They couldn’t see how lightweight the foam was, but they could feel it. Will local heroes spend the money on an invisible part?

WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? We aren’t bothered by the price. This is a works-bike part and if you are in the group that can afford it, you get your money’s worth.
Matthes
11/3/2015 8:58pm
Matthes wrote:
Well yeah it's a plug (what's your post, free advice?) but PC, RCH and many more use Guts for their seat needs so it's a pretty...

langhammx wrote:
Panties a little bunched up Steve ? Lol
Not at all, just puzzled by Welding's response? I put a plug in there for a great company that I've heard nothing but good about. Somehow this was construed as a bad thing because it was a plug and apparently the teams I quoted aren't real factory teams (just judging by the emphasis on caps used).

And then Welding gives us all...a plug for Think...which is fine but wait, wasn't my plug bad?

I'm confused. Use Guts, use Think, use Jim-bob's Seats..I don't care, trying to help original poster thats all.
11/3/2015 9:22pm
I bought a guts with carbon seat base for my crf Tongue

Really stiff foam, but I like it! Good quality, and doesn't weigh shit Grinning got around 20hrs on it so far
11/3/2015 9:26pm
Best shot I've got. As you can see, it's much smaller than oem also, doesn't go as far down towards the plastics, and not as far back towards the rear fender. It also got velcro to hold the seat cover, and don't need any staples!

Lurk Ing
11/4/2015 12:06am
Love Jim-bob's Seats. Lightest ones out there.
Yep, and don't forget the free hooker. Who came with her own plug. Luckily.
stillwelding
11/4/2015 3:45am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2015 6:11am
Matthes wrote:

Yeah, my mines not a plug, because I don't have a podcast to promote. Spam away. I promote what I do, but I don't have to give a discount, and they buy anyway. I never thought it was really Factory racing after they went to production bikes, but I do watch it on TV. Oh, and I don't own Think! Technology and take no money from them either.
Just havin a little fun, I heard Matthes is a good guy, but I've heard that about a lotta people Smile
slipdog
11/4/2015 4:44am
This is a little awkward Bros...
.kyle
11/4/2015 5:53am
I bought a guts with carbon seat base for my crf :P Really stiff foam, but I like it! Good quality, and doesn't weigh shit :lol...
I bought a guts with carbon seat base for my crf Tongue

Really stiff foam, but I like it! Good quality, and doesn't weigh shit Grinning got around 20hrs on it so far
How do you attach the seat cover to the carbon base?
11/4/2015 6:29am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2015 6:30am
It is attached with velcro strips. They say you need to staple it, but I didn't! And it holds up awesome.

Best pic I had :

moto0852
11/4/2015 6:46am
It is attached with velcro strips. They say you need to staple it, but I didn't! And it holds up awesome. Best pic I had...
It is attached with velcro strips. They say you need to staple it, but I didn't! And it holds up awesome.

Best pic I had :

What do you put the total weight savings at with the carbon base and what was the total cost?
11/4/2015 6:52am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2015 6:53am
It is attached with velcro strips. They say you need to staple it, but I didn't! And it holds up awesome. Best pic I had...

Best pic I had :

moto0852 wrote:
What do you put the total weight savings at with the carbon base and what was the total cost?
I have not compared the weight on scale, since I don't got an exact scale, abd have not looked up the weight of the oem seat new. But it's lighter for sure! And the biggest advantage, it dint hold water the same way as oem! Also stiffer foam, after a few rides, I started to like it. The bike actually felt lighter while riding, but that could be placebo also... I'm no pro Grinning

Cost wise, didn't think so much about it :D used the pulpmx2015 code. Since I'm from Sweden, I paid import taxes, vat etc also.
MotoMo165
11/4/2015 7:28am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2015 7:29am
Guts Racing all the way!
Beast666
11/4/2015 7:43am
The lightest and least expensive seat set up is to take it off the bike and learn how to ride standing up. Wink
Cygnus
11/4/2015 7:55am
Beast666 wrote:
The lightest and least expensive seat set up is to take it off the bike and learn how to ride standing up. Wink
Beat me to it.
Grieby54
11/4/2015 8:03am
Wow... I had no idea people were spending a few hundred bucks to drop two pounds off of their bikes. Personally, I just take a crap before I ride.
moto0852
11/4/2015 8:19am
Grieby54 wrote:
Wow... I had no idea people were spending a few hundred bucks to drop two pounds off of their bikes. Personally, I just take a crap...
Wow... I had no idea people were spending a few hundred bucks to drop two pounds off of their bikes. Personally, I just take a crap before I ride.
Actually people are spending $3000 dollars to drop a couple pounds...it's called titanium.

Post a reply to: Light weight seat foam

The Latest