LA Colisium?

Karma
Posts
871
Joined
9/14/2009
Location
CA
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 8:28am
Does anyone know why they don't use it as an SX venue anymore? Its such a shame, not just the section up the stands but the huge floor space that allows for some higher speed sections. Like Vegas, with the high speed single jump and some flat track action. Adds another dimension to the racing. Throw in a over under and a deep "bomb-hole" section with really soft deep sand
and a short, shallow water passage that gets rutted up and you really have something special!
LA-1 and 2 would be awesome!
|
Moto4T5
Posts
153
Joined
2/27/2011
Location
Corona, CA, USA
3/11/2011 5:09pm
It's a really bad neighborhood, for racers and fans to come to.
Karma
Posts
871
Joined
9/14/2009
Location
CA
3/11/2011 5:29pm
Hmmm, that is too bad, as they would not be in the neighborhood, but at the Stadium, which could be secured? Fenced off parking and pits with some extra security. Unless its really even too dangerous to travel through the neighborhood to get into the Stadium. Bummer.
jndmx
Posts
9699
Joined
1/20/2008
Location
South Kingston, RI, USA
3/11/2011 5:34pm
The reason that the SX rounds are held where they are is because those are the venues that Feld has under contract.
Those are the locations that have dirt stored from year to year and other Feld events booked that use it too.
mxbile131
Posts
179
Joined
7/14/2008
Location
University Of Southern California, CA, USA
3/11/2011 5:40pm
Granted its not in the nicest area but we have all of our football games with no problems at all from the surrounding neighborhood. Our university police also patrol the surrounding area constantly and is bigger than any other university security force in the country.

That being said, I would be "super pumped" if they had a race there. It would be a nice five minute walk from my apartment!!

The Shop

3/11/2011 5:42pm
Worst neighborhood although Orlando was running a close second. The back side of the Coliseum, where the pits were, is right in the neighborhood where the Rodney King riots were.
gsxrcr28
Posts
7419
Joined
3/5/2009
Location
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
3/11/2011 5:44pm
Went there in 90 or 91 watched a great battle with Bayle and Bradshaw, saw like 10 fights (seriously) and had a great time. I would love to see it back on the schedule.
824 Dad
Posts
323
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Murrieta, CA, USA
3/11/2011 5:53pm
They just had the summer X Games there last year. Dirt ramps in and out of the stadium through the peristyle. Start was at the top of the peristyle and went downhill to the stadium floor right out of the gate.

The area is sketchy, the parking lot was all fenced in 10' high, security guards in the parking lot and some guy still got his street legal supermoto bike stolen right out from under there noses in broad daylight. One of the major UC's is right around the corner, can't believe they don't have that area of the city a little safer.
3/11/2011 6:00pm
It has to do with parking and Feld.
3/11/2011 6:41pm
It is old and beat up. I liked it a lot, but it was so big that every seat was a bad seat. Also it was weird how it circled the field rather than being on it.
docweedon
Posts
941
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Escondido, CA, USA
3/11/2011 6:54pm
Why don't they have races there anymore? Well...
1. It's in south central LA...deep gangland
2. Parking is HORRIBLE
3. The Coliseum is old and is falling apart. The owners did do some renovations, but still it's a craphole
4. No parking for all the semi's. The last race I went to at the Coliseum the semis were parked in the walkway inside the stadium. Which was cool, but with all that's in the pits, there wouldn't be any room.
GuyB
Posts
35722
Joined
7/10/2006
Location
Aliso Viejo, CA, USA
3/11/2011 8:02pm
It is old and beat up. I liked it a lot, but it was so big that every seat was a bad seat. Also it was...
It is old and beat up. I liked it a lot, but it was so big that every seat was a bad seat. Also it was weird how it circled the field rather than being on it.
I'd agree that it hasn't aged well. It was looking pretty beat at the X Games last summer.

The peristyle sections were cool, but man are they skinny.
3/12/2011 9:18am
Come on GuyB if Ivan Stewart could squeeze his truck through them guys on bikes shouldn’t have a problem. Personally I don’t think that place has been structurally sound since Metallica annihilated it at the 88 Monsters of Rock show. Seriously though, that place is a Supercross and Los Angeles monument. I really hope if/when they build the new stadium for the L.A. NFL team it will somehow incorporate the Coliseum motif, and maybe we will get the peristyles back.
OW38B
Posts
3619
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Coto de Caza, CA, USA
3/12/2011 9:30am
Almost 100,000 fans show up for USC football games...........they do not seem to have an issue.

They most they ever had at the Colisium is 79,000, so they can handle it no problem.

Karma
Posts
871
Joined
9/14/2009
Location
CA
3/12/2011 9:48am
OW38B wrote:
Almost 100,000 fans show up for USC football games...........they do not seem to have an issue. They most they ever had at the Colisium is 79,000...
Almost 100,000 fans show up for USC football games...........they do not seem to have an issue.

They most they ever had at the Colisium is 79,000, so they can handle it no problem.

Wow a 100,000 fans for a collage football game! Amazing!
OW38B
Posts
3619
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Coto de Caza, CA, USA
3/12/2011 9:56am
Correction on attendance....it was over 74,000 in 1979.
BobbyM
Posts
21436
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
3/12/2011 9:59am
Karma wrote:
Does anyone know why they don't use it as an SX venue anymore? Its such a shame, not just the section up the stands but the...
Does anyone know why they don't use it as an SX venue anymore? Its such a shame, not just the section up the stands but the huge floor space that allows for some higher speed sections. Like Vegas, with the high speed single jump and some flat track action. Adds another dimension to the racing. Throw in a over under and a deep "bomb-hole" section with really soft deep sand
and a short, shallow water passage that gets rutted up and you really have something special!
LA-1 and 2 would be awesome!
P would say bad white neighborhood. Wink
machine
Posts
6404
Joined
1/5/2011
Location
Collettsville, NC, USA
3/12/2011 10:09am
BobbyM wrote:
P would say bad white neighborhood. Wink
Laughing
Mr. G
Posts
4225
Joined
12/23/2009
Location
Riverside, CA, USA
3/12/2011 10:44am
I live only 30 miles from there and there are places that you have to drive through that if I were to get a flat tire I would drive on the rim.
Karma
Posts
871
Joined
9/14/2009
Location
CA
3/12/2011 10:48am
that crazy P, a bad white neighborhood Dry
3/12/2011 10:57am
Mr. G wrote:
I live only 30 miles from there and there are places that you have to drive through that if I were to get a flat tire...
I live only 30 miles from there and there are places that you have to drive through that if I were to get a flat tire I would drive on the rim.
It is a poor neighborhood, but USC is right there and rich dads from the OC have no problem sending their daughters there. Yeah if you go into Watts , probably a good idea for the kids to leave there flat bill hats, black socks and wannabe ghetto attitude at home. Poor people do not equal bad people. If you respect them they are usually cool.

Ice Cube has some thoughts to help you as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56DDZrU2s8s
Mr. G
Posts
4225
Joined
12/23/2009
Location
Riverside, CA, USA
3/12/2011 11:36am
Yes it is true that poor people does not equate bad people but it is also true that there are neighborhoods that are more dangerous than others. Have you ever been to downtown LA? I have spent much time around there for work and no I have never been killed obviously but I do feel more on guard than say walking down the street in Mission Viejo. People are basically good but I have zero patience for criminality.
3/12/2011 11:46am
Mr. G wrote:
Yes it is true that poor people does not equate bad people but it is also true that there are neighborhoods that are more dangerous than...
Yes it is true that poor people does not equate bad people but it is also true that there are neighborhoods that are more dangerous than others. Have you ever been to downtown LA? I have spent much time around there for work and no I have never been killed obviously but I do feel more on guard than say walking down the street in Mission Viejo. People are basically good but I have zero patience for criminality.
Yeah, I have been there a time or two. Funny story; after the concert I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had gotten separated from my brother after the show and wandered around that neighborhood for an hour and a half looking for where we parked. I was 13 at the time and made it out ok.
Mr. G
Posts
4225
Joined
12/23/2009
Location
Riverside, CA, USA
3/12/2011 11:50am
Excellent.

Post a reply to: LA Colisium?

The Latest