Kirk Layfield

Huckster
9/7/2016 3:51am
Just read Coach Seiji's post on FB. Anyone know what happened? Very sad.
|
mxracer546
9/7/2016 8:08am
He crashed at Mesa that is all I have heard!

09/07/2016
8:00am

Statement from the Layfield Family

"We have been overwhelmed by the support we have received since Kirk was seriously injured in a practice crash on Sunday. Your heartfelt messages of thoughts and prayers have helped carry us during this difficult time. The outpouring of support we have received has been overwhelming.
Kirk suffered a severe spinal injury and brain injury as a result of his crash. He is currently in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit of Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne Fl. He is on a respirator and has not regained consciousness since his crash. The test results show that there is no brain activity leaving us with a very difficult decision.
On Wednesday, September 7th, we will meet with Kirk’s medical team to discuss further treatment and other options. Provided there is no change in brain activity, we will ask that his organs may be given to others who desperately need them. In this way, our sadness can be turned to joy in being an answer to another person’s desperate prayer.
We thank you again for sharing your concern for Kirk. We know he has touched many of you through his service as a firefighter, motocross racer, friend, and father. We believe his sacrificial giving to others is another example of his love for his fellow man. John 15:13 says “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” We find comfort in these words."
Preston412
9/7/2016 8:43am
Very sad news for the florida moto community, kirk was a well liked and respected rider.
From what I hear, his bike cut off on him when he took off from a jump.

Please pray and keep his wife and son (10 yrs old) in your thoughts.
9/7/2016 1:15pm
Wow, terrible and sad news. I raced against Kirk a lot in the FL Gold Cup and Winter Am, he was a customer at the dealership I worked at. Knew him but not well. I remember he broke his leg really bad at Gatorback and stayed off a while. God Bless and his family prayers sent.
hillbilly
9/7/2016 2:03pm
Bummer. He ran a paper, mx east i think.

He was about the same age as me ,raced him all the time went i went south. Seemed to get hurt a lot though.

One race at lazy river there were a couple jump out of the 1st turn,a simple double then single then a hard right.

We start and I'm 3rd or so about to do the single when I hear a bike pinned, all a sudden Kirk lands about 10 ft left of the single on flat ground. For half a lap all I could think about was how far he jumped. It was different than the time a raced there before so figured he may have forgotten how it was laid out. Seems he broke a arm in the crash.

Damn shame if the bike quit on him ,

The Shop

mxracer546
9/7/2016 2:28pm
Update at 4:15
9/7/16

It is with a heavy heart that we share the message received from the Layfield family "Kirk is riding in heaven". RIP. He will be missed so much! We will share funeral arrangements once we have them
steveyd
9/7/2016 6:41pm
He was a really really good rider, a good friend, and a hell of a great guy.
Been a long time since I was one of the Florida guys, and since I'd talked to him sans facespace.
Saddened to hear.
Knarfious
9/7/2016 8:55pm
Such a great guy, always was one of the nicest guys you would run into on any practice or race day. Rest in peace Kirk.
EddieC
9/7/2016 10:12pm
What terrible news. I didn't know him well but what I did know of him was that he was a stand up guy.
slipdog
9/8/2016 6:50am
RIP Kirk! Sad
FastGzus
9/8/2016 7:13am
Sad praying for strength for his loved ones

Post a reply to: Kirk Layfield

The Latest