Hare scrambles

Cory_Hill
Edited Date/Time 5/9/2018 7:40am
I've been an MX racer for 16 years now and I'm looking into trying hare scrambles. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I should start off. (Ex bike mods, first race day, how to practice) I'm definitely going to get bark busters and a second set of handlebars that aren't as wide as the ones on my MX bike. I will be using my 2014 yz250f until I get a 250 2-stroke to use for hs.
|
agn5009
5/5/2018 10:19pm
I raced mx for about 14 years before making the change. Honestly, the biggest thing you can do in year one is get used to the pace and get used to the long race format. Understanding that you won't be able to go out and go as fast as you can at the beginning of the race is a huge thing to overcome. HS races are all about being consistent and limiting mistakes. Throw a set of bark Buster's on, an oversized gas tank and mess with the gearing and suspension to your liking and it'll be fine.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
5/5/2018 10:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2018 10:22pm
Is A harescramble a race from
Point A to Point B
Or is it doing
Laps on some kind of course ?
Cory_Hill
5/5/2018 10:25pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Point A to Point B
Or is it doing
From what I've heard it's like an Enduro race but with laps and a lot shorter.
Cory_Hill
5/5/2018 10:28pm
agn5009 wrote:
I raced mx for about 14 years before making the change. Honestly, the biggest thing you can do in year one is get used to the...
I raced mx for about 14 years before making the change. Honestly, the biggest thing you can do in year one is get used to the pace and get used to the long race format. Understanding that you won't be able to go out and go as fast as you can at the beginning of the race is a huge thing to overcome. HS races are all about being consistent and limiting mistakes. Throw a set of bark Buster's on, an oversized gas tank and mess with the gearing and suspension to your liking and it'll be fine.
I was thinking and hoping it would be as simple as that. Beautiful thing is I already run my gears pretty tall for mx (46t rear 13t front) so i think that would work fine. Also I heard something about adjusting the rebound to the softest setting if I didn't get soft springs. To absorb bumps andbranches and whatever else is in the trails.

The Shop

agn5009
5/5/2018 10:29pm
Oh, and if you don't already have them get yourself a Camelback and a pair of roll off goggles. My favorite is the Scott Hustle with the little bumps on them. Those will be double paned as well.

Just be ready for a total surprise the first time. Watch on the starting line. You'll see guys who look like total dorks and you'll think to yourself "I hope those guys don't get in my way." Those will most likely be the guys lapping you halfway through the race.
agn5009
5/5/2018 10:31pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Point A to Point B
Or is it doing
Cory_Hill wrote:
Enduros are timed sections typically. You'll do a section then get a break. A harescramble is basically a set time. Some are 2 hours and some are 3.
agn5009
5/5/2018 10:32pm
agn5009 wrote:
I raced mx for about 14 years before making the change. Honestly, the biggest thing you can do in year one is get used to the...
Cory_Hill wrote:
I was thinking and hoping it would be as simple as that. Beautiful thing is I already run my gears pretty tall for mx (46t rear...
I was thinking and hoping it would be as simple as that. Beautiful thing is I already run my gears pretty tall for mx (46t rear 13t front) so i think that would work fine. Also I heard something about adjusting the rebound to the softest setting if I didn't get soft springs. To absorb bumps andbranches and whatever else is in the trails.
I have my suspension pretty stiff but I'm an aggressive rider.
KMC440
5/6/2018 6:05am
Tarz483 wrote:
Point A to Point B
Or is it doing
Cory_Hill wrote:
Closed course laps range from 3 miles(local events) to 10 or more in length. Local events usually run 1 to 1.5 hrs for "C" classes then 2hrs for "B" on up. National events will be 3hrs for the "B" through Pro classes while the "Amateur" classes run 2hrs.
Before you go buying a $250 fuel tank go ride race pace in the woods for an hour and see where you end up with fuel. It's only about 20 seconds to top off a tank with a little help.
Race days are completely different than moto. You don't need to be there ALL day. You know when your race starts. You'll want to walk a bit of the track especially the first mile or so.
cheeseburger
5/6/2018 6:58am
Cory_Hill wrote:
I've been an MX racer for 16 years now and I'm looking into trying hare scrambles. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I...
I've been an MX racer for 16 years now and I'm looking into trying hare scrambles. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I should start off. (Ex bike mods, first race day, how to practice) I'm definitely going to get bark busters and a second set of handlebars that aren't as wide as the ones on my MX bike. I will be using my 2014 yz250f until I get a 250 2-stroke to use for hs.
Im not sure where you are located but there are some tracks here in ohio that have what they call a gp. Its like a dumbed down hare scramble, typically a little faster, you wont need handguards, and they are only like 45 min -hour long. I would take my moto bike and race one of those and it will give you a good indicator of what you will need to do with your bike or if you even like it before you drop 500 in accessories for the woods. If they offer it also try to race an afternoon session so the track will actually have some breaking bumps and ruts because if you are the first bikes out there usually the tracks dont get that rough.
Byron909
5/6/2018 7:24am
Here in central tx the hare scrambles around here are a to b kind of races. Emduros are technically the timed ones, where you have stages.
I raced mx for a long time, but injuries have slowly forced me to ween off it and go back to woods riding.
An 18 rear, and some type of handgaurds are a good thing. I dont like full hand guards, but they are handy, falling over in a low speed corner, usually can keep bike rinning because bar doesnt dig into the ground.
But for me, from my race bike set up for mx to going in the woods, im not really changing much.
Guess it also depends on the bike you ride.
fins227
5/6/2018 7:33am
Go give it a try and find out! Walk the first mile or so before the race, relax its just a trail ride for the first hour.
agn5009
5/6/2018 7:33am
Byron909 wrote:
Here in central tx the hare scrambles around here are a to b kind of races. Emduros are technically the timed ones, where you have stages...
Here in central tx the hare scrambles around here are a to b kind of races. Emduros are technically the timed ones, where you have stages.
I raced mx for a long time, but injuries have slowly forced me to ween off it and go back to woods riding.
An 18 rear, and some type of handgaurds are a good thing. I dont like full hand guards, but they are handy, falling over in a low speed corner, usually can keep bike rinning because bar doesnt dig into the ground.
But for me, from my race bike set up for mx to going in the woods, im not really changing much.
Here in PA you wouldn't dare doing a harescramble without full wrap around bark Buster's. I guess it all depends on where he's from.
Spizzy
5/6/2018 7:36am
Go into youre first one with the goal of finishing, the rest will come naturally.
5/6/2018 8:07am
Skidplate...I like the thick plastic ones.
I'm a big believer in protective gear: Chest protector, elbow and knee guards.
Enter a class that is probably above where you are: I'd rather be passed by faster guys then be held up by slower ones.
ge217
5/6/2018 8:11am
Skidplate...I like the thick plastic ones. I'm a big believer in protective gear: Chest protector, elbow and knee guards. Enter a class that is probably above...
Enter a class that is probably above where you are: I'd rather be passed by faster guys then be held up by slower ones.
So you're saying you don't mind holding someone up, but hate being held up? Or telling him it's ok to hold someone up?
Big Tex27
5/6/2018 8:21am
On a stock tank you should be able to go a 1hr and 20-30mins depending on the bike. Our Xc races are 8-10 mile loops and the races are typically 70-80 mins. We do get to practice saturday and race Sunday. The only thing I would recommend is a set of roost (mud) guards. It keeps the small branches and roost from killing your fingers
ge217
5/6/2018 8:30am
Cutting your bars is up to you. Set the bike up how you think you would like it. After your first one you'll know more. All depends on the terrain you'll be racing also. When you cut your bars you loose steering leverage at high speeds. I don't cut mine down, I can't tell you of any pros that do either. Harescrambles/enduros 95% use full wrap barkbusters, some pros only use handguards. Kr and Thad along with a few others use handguards. Gp/Desert racing most just use handguards. Nothing really to hit, some stuff to brush up against.

Get you a camelback and remember to use it. Whatever class you'll be racing in remember it is a distance race not a short sprint. If you happen to be up front remember you have time to pass, be patient. On the flip side , if a fast person does come up on you, remember he knows what you're doing bc he is watching you. Hold your line while letting him by or pull over to let them buy if in tight stuff. It's better then a crash.

Other then that it's not that bad. Just remember to have fun. Don't do anything different then you would at a mx race other then be plenty hydrated. Ride within your riding capabilities .
Brap!
5/6/2018 8:56am
1) Get hydrated
2) pace yourself at first
3) Put a watch on your handlebar
4) try to Sprint the last lap, everyone will be tired, so if you have the fitness, a lot of time and positions can be made up
5) If a guy suddenly comes up from behind out of no where, be courteous and let him by, then try to hang with him as long as you can.
6) cut handlebars are okay, but they can hurt more than they help, especially if the trees aren't that tight
5/6/2018 9:27am
Skidplate...I like the thick plastic ones. I'm a big believer in protective gear: Chest protector, elbow and knee guards. Enter a class that is probably above...
ge217 wrote:
So you're saying you don't mind holding someone up, but hate being held up? Or telling him it's ok to hold someone up?
I dont hold better riders up...they go around me very easily.
I dont hate being held up...If I'm good enough I'll get around them.
Its not OK to hold someone up...move over.

Cory_Hill
5/6/2018 11:27am
Byron909 wrote:
Here in central tx the hare scrambles around here are a to b kind of races. Emduros are technically the timed ones, where you have stages...
agn5009 wrote:
Here in PA you wouldn't dare doing a harescramble without full wrap around bark Buster's. I guess it all depends on where he's from.
I'm in Delaware so I'd be doing a lot of PA races if I got serious with it. I am most often top 3 in open B on a 250f in MX. Would my class in MX force me to run B in hare scrambles or would I be able to run C in my first race or 2?
Cory_Hill
5/6/2018 11:33am
Thanks everyone for the replies! Extremely helpful with all of the input. I think I'll ride my MX bike stock besides putting handguards or bark busters on for the first race and see where things go from there. And I'll be getting a camel pack for sure.
KMC440
5/6/2018 11:33am
You should be able to do c Class
hillbilly
5/6/2018 11:50am
I did many. Lots of course furniture trees,fences,rock

Way to far from the ambulance.
agn5009
5/6/2018 12:41pm
Byron909 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
Cory_Hill wrote:
I'm in Delaware so I'd be doing a lot of PA races if I got serious with it. I am most often top 3 in open...
I'm in Delaware so I'd be doing a lot of PA races if I got serious with it. I am most often top 3 in open B on a 250f in MX. Would my class in MX force me to run B in hare scrambles or would I be able to run C in my first race or 2?
You'll be able to get into C. But honestly I would just hop in B. C class you'll have 3 or 4 guys that are good riders. Guys that can compete in the B class. Then the rest you'll swear it's their first time ever touching a bike.
BobPA
5/6/2018 12:48pm
Byron909 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
I raced harescrambles for many years with out bark busters. I never liked the feeling of a full wrap around guard.
agn5009
5/6/2018 12:52pm
Byron909 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
I raced harescrambles for many years with out bark busters. I never liked the feeling of a full wrap around guard.
You're crazy man. Obviously it depends what series you're doing. I could see doing a GNCC without back busters. A series such as AWRCS? Not a chance.

I've clipped too many trees at pretty high speeds to not use them. We talk about safety here all the time. Bark busters are a huge safety feature. There's absolutely no reason not to use them in the woods. None.
BobPA
5/6/2018 12:55pm
My reason is because I do not like them. I ride tight single track all the time to this day with just regular hand guards. I chased D6, PA State, ECEA, and some NY races for a long time.
hillbilly
5/6/2018 12:56pm
agn5009 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
You're crazy man. Obviously it depends what series you're doing. I could see doing a GNCC without back busters. A series such as AWRCS? Not a...
You're crazy man. Obviously it depends what series you're doing. I could see doing a GNCC without back busters. A series such as AWRCS? Not a chance.

I've clipped too many trees at pretty high speeds to not use them. We talk about safety here all the time. Bark busters are a huge safety feature. There's absolutely no reason not to use them in the woods. None.
Yep.

Sharp sticks poking you to.

Brake snake to.
5/6/2018 12:58pm
agn5009 wrote:
You'll be able to get into C. But honestly I would just hop in B. C class you'll have 3 or 4 guys that are good...
You'll be able to get into C. But honestly I would just hop in B. C class you'll have 3 or 4 guys that are good riders. Guys that can compete in the B class. Then the rest you'll swear it's their first time ever touching a bike.
You said that way more artfully that I did.
agn5009
5/6/2018 1:03pm
BobPA wrote:
My reason is because I do not like them. I ride tight single track all the time to this day with just regular hand guards. I...
My reason is because I do not like them. I ride tight single track all the time to this day with just regular hand guards. I chased D6, PA State, ECEA, and some NY races for a long time.
To each his own I suppose. I will never understand it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Post a reply to: Hare scrambles

The Latest