Dungey on GP tracks/Competition

Edited Date/Time 8/26/2015 6:43pm
In RacerX, Dungey says GP tracks aren't that good and that competition is tougher here in America. Also says he will not be doing the USGP.

Do you have an interest in going to race a GP one day?
I thought about it until I seen Villo’s [Ryan Villopoto], just how everything worked out in that aspect. Not to mention, not to disrespect the MXGP guys, but those tracks over there just look terrible. There’s been a lot of races where it looked good, but then there’s a lot of races where I don’t even really think it’s really racing. It looks really hard-pack. It doesn’t look like a racetrack in my eyes. I think over here in America the competition is higher, tougher. So I won’t ever probably do that in my lifetime.

I was a bit surprised by his answer.

|
Seamorbutts
8/24/2015 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2015 1:37pm
Well, It's the truth. That's one of the reasons he hates racing the Nations over there I would guess. I watch them race every week, and their tracks horrible half the time, mostly, but not always do to lack of track prep. The World Motocross Championships my ass.
dirtnapper
8/24/2015 1:32pm
Just another reason why " he'll always be good.....he may never be great, but he'll always be good......"

PinchWhistling
Rowlands
8/24/2015 1:32pm
Tracks he is correct.

Stronger competition is debatable, but strong saying that when he got spanked at the nations

Still good to hear an honest opinion from a racer himself not a vitard

The Shop

RG1
8/24/2015 1:41pm
I don't blame him for not wanting to race in Europe. The tracks are good, they don't always look it because of the prep and maintainance, but I can see where he is coming from in that aspect. I don't agree with his last comment, I don't think the level of rider or competition is any higher in the States than it is in Europe. I think we've seen a few examples of this fairly recently
cheers_22
8/24/2015 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2015 1:46pm
Sounds like an excuse. I don't think Dunge could handle the gp's from a mental standpoint. I don't think the competition is easier (proven by several guys running villos pace or faster). It would be an ego blow to lose on U.S. soil at the usgp.
8/24/2015 1:44pm
I would say it's about the same competition wise. You have 3-5 guys winning races in both classes.
8/24/2015 1:49pm
So , in a nut shell ,

Dungey thought about doing the GP,s until he saw RV get his arse kicked ?

That's the same RV , that used to kick Dungeys arse all the time ,

Track,s eh ? , Load of bollocks
8/24/2015 2:05pm
and Alessi was battling for the lead.

Ha Ha Ha , really dude ?

Just remind me again how Alessi did in his GP rides this year ?
The Rock
8/24/2015 2:06pm
Say hello to four or five years ago.
philG
8/24/2015 2:06pm
So if it's really hard pack it's not really racing....noted
Its why the sport is on its arse, kids wont ride unless the tracks are groomed to perfection, and riders dont get the skills that they used to.. basically if you can jump , you can win , the finesse needed to ride proper hard pack is something less and less riders have, all the US tracks end up the same because they are over groomed and watered and just turn into a rut fest , and the soil is made to be the same . Now Southwick has gone , what variation of surface is there ?

RG95
8/24/2015 2:08pm
Hahahahahahaha!!!
downard254
8/24/2015 2:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2015 2:11pm
[b]and Alessi was battling for the lead.[/b] Ha Ha Ha , really dude ? Just remind me again how Alessi did in his GP rides this...
and Alessi was battling for the lead.

Ha Ha Ha , really dude ?

Just remind me again how Alessi did in his GP rides this year ?
I think he was referring to racing in the U.S. Primarily, but I could be wrong.

Actually, I think Dungey's style would be perfect for the GP's. Look how many have dropped out to injury. His consistency would have him right there in the title fight. IMO
Hut
8/24/2015 2:10pm
All that hard pack and poor competition, like at Lommel. Huh
brimx153
8/24/2015 2:11pm
Alessi is (or use to be) very fast around Glenn helen . so dont see what ur point is there ,
The Rock
8/24/2015 2:13pm
philG wrote:
Its why the sport is on its arse, kids wont ride unless the tracks are groomed to perfection, and riders dont get the skills that they...
Its why the sport is on its arse, kids wont ride unless the tracks are groomed to perfection, and riders dont get the skills that they used to.. basically if you can jump , you can win , the finesse needed to ride proper hard pack is something less and less riders have, all the US tracks end up the same because they are over groomed and watered and just turn into a rut fest , and the soil is made to be the same . Now Southwick has gone , what variation of surface is there ?

Are you going to des Nations?
Motofinne
8/24/2015 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2015 2:16pm
Wow. Well i respect that he speaks what he thinks but i can't agree with him on what he says. Yes some GP tracks sucks. But what about a track like Utah? Just as shitty like Thailand. And didn't Shaun Simpson just prove that the series are very close in the competition level of things.

And i find that the variation of tracks in GPs are very good to have.
Suns_PSD
8/24/2015 2:14pm
Many of the GP tracks do suck. Anyone that's spent some time on an MX bike can see that.
8/24/2015 2:16pm
Don't talk bollocks ,

After what you just said about Alessi , you are just contradicting yourself !
Hut
8/24/2015 2:18pm
I'd put BamBam over Dungey but neither is going to show up so who cares.
brimx153
8/24/2015 2:24pm
In [url=http://racerxonline.com/2015/08/24/open-mic-ironman-interviews]RacerX[/url], Dungey says GP tracks aren't that good and that competition is tougher here in America. Also says he will not be doing the USGP...
In RacerX, Dungey says GP tracks aren't that good and that competition is tougher here in America. Also says he will not be doing the USGP.

Do you have an interest in going to race a GP one day?
I thought about it until I seen Villo’s [Ryan Villopoto], just how everything worked out in that aspect. Not to mention, not to disrespect the MXGP guys, but those tracks over there just look terrible. There’s been a lot of races where it looked good, but then there’s a lot of races where I don’t even really think it’s really racing. It looks really hard-pack. It doesn’t look like a racetrack in my eyes. I think over here in America the competition is higher, tougher. So I won’t ever probably do that in my lifetime.

I was a bit surprised by his answer.

he is right about some of the track s ,really agree with him . on Competition beening tougher in the US , is complete BULL . how many times have he and roczen been ahead of 3rd by at least 30 sec. its as simple as ,he is never going to beat AC222, Desaile ,Nagl, Paulin, Farbre , Stribos . etc by over 30 sec over the year as much as he does in the states . yes he d win races . maybe a championship , but at the mo the MX1 is far tougher competition than the ama 450 nationals
akillerwombat
So we can all agree that Dunge – one of the smartest, hard working, level headed, and dedicated racers – knows nothing?!
karsmakers
8/24/2015 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2015 2:25pm
It's all preference. Both series have great tracks but I would say the US tracks overall are prepped better. I don't agree with him that the competition is better here. I think its comparable in both series and equally difficult to go to the opposite series and win
So you basically cannot remember what you just posted ? , that right ?

You just made a reference that Alessi , did better in his GP rides than he did at Washougal , in a somewhat shit attempt to try and make out the Nationals are stronger than the GP,s .

Motofinne
8/24/2015 2:27pm
And the hardpack comment was ridiculous imo, i would love to see more variation in the US series. Am i the only one?
philG
8/24/2015 2:28pm
philG wrote:
Its why the sport is on its arse, kids wont ride unless the tracks are groomed to perfection, and riders dont get the skills that they...

The Rock wrote:
Are you going to des Nations?
Sore point , i have a race in Germany that weekend , first one i have missed in 7 years, will be a great weekend, just a shame so many riders are going to be injured.

Ernee isnt my favourite track, but i thnk the changes they have made will make it a much better track .

St Jean was awesome, nothing like a french crowd.
brimx153
8/24/2015 2:28pm
can you not even read what you just said ????? YOU said . "Dungey would win pretty easily " now you saying he could battled for the led . there a big difference .
8/24/2015 2:30pm
It looks really hard-pack. It doesn’t look like a racetrack in my eyes.

This is only a small snippet but if he is highlighting terrain as a minus then don't agree with Ryan here. One of the most awesome things about the GPs (and MX in general) is the variation in terrain. It's one reason why tyre manufactures make different tyres in the first place, and why some riders excel in certain conditions etc. It adds a further dynamic to the sport and is another reason why you have to be good across all scenarios to win the World Championship.

Poor track maintenance and the few rounds consisting of garbage man made layouts are one thing, fine I totally agree there. But that shouldn't be lumped in with any terrain that fails to be the perfect dream scenario of grippy wonder dirt. Still, all that said, I can totally understand why he wouldn't want to come over, just as I can for Tony not wanting to leave the GPs. Competition wise there's little to nothing in it these days.

Post a reply to: Dungey on GP tracks/Competition

The Latest