Before and After, 2007 KX250, 2021 KX250X, 2020 KLX230R

Edited Date/Time 7/15/2021 8:49am
Hey vital, wish this wasn't my first post but am seeking advice.

I lost all of my toys in the Lytton wildfire. Has anyone had any luck on the insurance side of things for burned bikes? I had recently moved from downtown Lytton to a house I bought southeast of town (June 26th-29th) and was in the process of building a shed to store the dirtbikes in. The bikes were still downtown when the town was destroyed on June 30th. I am fortunate to have not lost my new home, but I am out approximately $30,000 in uninsured losses for the dirtbikes, tools and parts that were stored at my old rental place. I do have the original paper work for all the bikes.

So far I've been told I am SOL, which is a tough pill to swallow as a wildland firefighter who was on scene fighting the fire on June 30th.

One of my good friend and coworker also lost 4 dirtbikes (including his 4 year old sons crf50), as well as his house and all his belongings.

If anyone has experienced something similar (I hope not) I would love some advice if you have any.

|
TK40_FC
7/13/2021 9:06am
Safe to say this was not the before and after that I was expecting, those pics are pretty painful to look at knowing that your going to be in an uphill battle to recoup your losses. Wish I had some good advice for you beyond maybe inquiring with an attorney or firm who can possibly fight on your behalf, ,but it being a rental that also seems like a long shot. Hopefully you find a better answer here than that. Definitely bummed for you man.
rmgsxr
7/13/2021 12:36pm
States all vary but in our state you title your dirt bikes. Any vehicle that has a title has to have its own insurance. Home owners does not cover it even if it is stolen out of your house. Dirt bikes are not cheap anymore and I tell as many people as I can that you need to check on insurance for it. A lot of the times its pretty damn cheap on a dirt bike.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
7/13/2021 8:34pm
I’m legitimately sorry, that’s a bummer. Did you have renter’s insurance?

The Shop

7/15/2021 6:51am
Thank you for the sympathy guys.
Unfortunately with lytton being such a small town no one signs a rental agreement. Being a wildland firefighter most work terms are 4-8 months and then moe back to your home city for the winter.

As I just bought a home there (lived there since 2013 and have been a permanent resident since 2017) I have been told by my insurance adjusters that some of the tools and parts I had may be coveted, but there is no homeowners policy that would cover motorcycles.

I will definitely be inquiring about insurance on the next bikes, it's just something that is not really done in British Columbia, at least to my knowledge. Until very recently we did not even need to register our dirtbikes, and only if we are riding public land.

I am definitely the most upset at losing my 07 twostroke. I've had that bike for 10 years and was never going to get rid of it. The newer bikes can be replaced, but the thought of essentially paying twice for everything I worked for and owned boils my blood.
KrazyJimmy
7/15/2021 8:28am
I am from BC also, and unfortunately icbc is the only place that will provide fire/theft coverage for motocross bikes.
I wonder if a train actually caused that fire, or a disgruntled 215er...
Shitty situation for you to be in.

7/15/2021 8:49am
If the railway is found to be responsible I think I will be able to recoup the loss, however it will probably be a good 5 years down the road.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
7/15/2021 5:38pm
Goldney167 wrote:
Thank you for the sympathy guys. Unfortunately with lytton being such a small town no one signs a rental agreement. Being a wildland firefighter most work...
Thank you for the sympathy guys.
Unfortunately with lytton being such a small town no one signs a rental agreement. Being a wildland firefighter most work terms are 4-8 months and then moe back to your home city for the winter.

As I just bought a home there (lived there since 2013 and have been a permanent resident since 2017) I have been told by my insurance adjusters that some of the tools and parts I had may be coveted, but there is no homeowners policy that would cover motorcycles.

I will definitely be inquiring about insurance on the next bikes, it's just something that is not really done in British Columbia, at least to my knowledge. Until very recently we did not even need to register our dirtbikes, and only if we are riding public land.

I am definitely the most upset at losing my 07 twostroke. I've had that bike for 10 years and was never going to get rid of it. The newer bikes can be replaced, but the thought of essentially paying twice for everything I worked for and owned boils my blood.
When my bike was stolen, I found out that my renter’s insurance policy only covered motorized vehicles “for handicap purposes.” But my roommate’s $2k golf equipment was covered and he got a check. Hopefully they’ll cover some of your other stuff. I put insurance on my next bike before I even unloaded it - lesson learned
Timo
7/15/2021 6:06pm
In Kansas the only thing with a motor that's covered by homeowners insurance is lawnmowers. Cars, motorcycles, boats, and motorhomes have to have their own policy.

Post a reply to: Before and After, 2007 KX250, 2021 KX250X, 2020 KLX230R

The Latest