2020 YZ 85 and 2020 KX 85 shoot out

Brandon_Lake
I would like to hear from moto parents what they think about 2020 YZ 85 and 2020 KX 85? My son is going to be moving up to 85 soon and he what’s a Kawi. I know Kawi just started putting power valves in.
|
beamer
6/22/2020 8:02am
My son just got off the mini’s after 3 KX’s , 65, 85, 100. No complaints very reliable but they haven’t changed in quite a few years, they have had power valves for a while I’m pretty sure. Don’t know much about the YZ but the new 125 is a great bike build quality is higher that the kawi I would say.
6/22/2020 8:58am
I would like to hear from moto parents what they think about 2020 YZ 85 and 2020 KX 85? My son is going to be moving...
I would like to hear from moto parents what they think about 2020 YZ 85 and 2020 KX 85? My son is going to be moving up to 85 soon and he what’s a Kawi. I know Kawi just started putting power valves in.
Yamaha just started putting power valves in. The Kawasaki has had power valves for 20 years.
Tracktor
6/22/2020 11:53am
I've commented on both many times on this forum if you search. We've ran pretty much every color out there. Not a fan of either in the end but probably Yamaha if forced to ride one of those two. Neither is even close to the KTM/Husky package sadly. At least for MX............
Rnewton632
Fantasy
1215th
6/23/2020 7:58am
We've never had a KX, but the YZ is a great bike, especially for a kid just entering the 85 class. Most of the wear items like brake pads, bearings, top end, etc.. are high quality stuff. The clutch seems to be the weak point for more aggressive riders. We put a billet basket in both the YZ 65 and 85 that really helped. The power is more bottom to mid, which also helps a new 85 rider. The price is another positive. However, to echo what Tracktor said, we just went to a KTM 85 and it's a pretty big jump in performance. Good luck!

The Shop

Tracktor
6/23/2020 2:44pm
Rnewton632 wrote:
We've never had a KX, but the YZ is a great bike, especially for a kid just entering the 85 class. Most of the wear items...
We've never had a KX, but the YZ is a great bike, especially for a kid just entering the 85 class. Most of the wear items like brake pads, bearings, top end, etc.. are high quality stuff. The clutch seems to be the weak point for more aggressive riders. We put a billet basket in both the YZ 65 and 85 that really helped. The power is more bottom to mid, which also helps a new 85 rider. The price is another positive. However, to echo what Tracktor said, we just went to a KTM 85 and it's a pretty big jump in performance. Good luck!
Clutch and the frame were the biggest wear items on the 19 YZ85 that a kid I help out rode for awhile. The price benefit goes away if you ever want to big wheel it. Plus you can't give them away since everyone else is selling them to move to the KTM, lol.
The KTM power can be easily adjusted to wherever you want which is really nice & the new clutch is bulletproof plate wise. Watch the outer pressure plate they can crack & it own't disengage. I kept and extra around because cheap.........
NorCal1975
6/23/2020 3:18pm
Would not touch a KX85 with a 10 foot pole. What you save up front you will spend in maintenance in short order unless your kids are just putting around. Top and bottom ends don't last long at all, even with perfect jetting, good oil, etc. Frame is weak, and the just the overall build is very low quality in my opinion. Had them for my 2 oldest boys for about 5 years, spent a small fortune on parts.... Oldest boy moved up to a big bike, 12 year old is now on a 2018 KTM 85sx. Bought it at 50 hours, he put another 200 on it in about 15 months, just top ends (every 15-20 hours) and a couple of bottom ends in 200 hours. Only weak point on the KTM has been the formula brake and clutch components, had to rebuild those master and slave cylinders several times. Can't speak to the newer YZ 85, but Yamaha historically is better quality than Kawi in my experience.
tylermx967
6/23/2020 6:02pm
I PASS A KID THAT ON A KX85 WITH MY SUSZUKI GO UP ONE OF THE HILLS AT CYCUL RANCH. A GUY CALLED RODNEY THAT GOTS A 125 SEED IT AND LATER HE SAY U LOOK LIKE KEN HOWERTIN OUT THERE KID
Mxracer607
6/24/2020 11:01am
tylermx967 wrote:
I PASS A KID THAT ON A KX85 WITH MY SUSZUKI GO UP ONE OF THE HILLS AT CYCUL RANCH. A GUY CALLED RODNEY THAT GOTS...
I PASS A KID THAT ON A KX85 WITH MY SUSZUKI GO UP ONE OF THE HILLS AT CYCUL RANCH. A GUY CALLED RODNEY THAT GOTS A 125 SEED IT AND LATER HE SAY U LOOK LIKE KEN HOWERTIN OUT THERE KID
Most bad ass s**t I’ve ever heard
Deja New
6/24/2020 3:09pm
Last weekend got to ride blue yellow and white 85 big wheels and hands down the husky I’m 46 and about 90kg and the husky did the job the best. All were setup for 40kg rider.
Handing, power delivery, braking all best on the husky so I bet the Ktm would be the same. The Husky feels light and nimble and responds quickly to balance changes to steer. The yellow and blue bikes feel like armchair racers with plush seats they both pulled my arse nice through the power but we’re just not as agile or quite as responsive as the husky.
Shame the 4 Japanese bikes really let their game down on small bikes. I can remember when the 65 gate was a sea of green, now that 65 is 20 of years old and the gate is a sea Orange and white with spots of blue.
Deja New
6/24/2020 3:11pm
NorCal1975 wrote:
Would not touch a KX85 with a 10 foot pole. What you save up front you will spend in maintenance in short order unless your kids...
Would not touch a KX85 with a 10 foot pole. What you save up front you will spend in maintenance in short order unless your kids are just putting around. Top and bottom ends don't last long at all, even with perfect jetting, good oil, etc. Frame is weak, and the just the overall build is very low quality in my opinion. Had them for my 2 oldest boys for about 5 years, spent a small fortune on parts.... Oldest boy moved up to a big bike, 12 year old is now on a 2018 KTM 85sx. Bought it at 50 hours, he put another 200 on it in about 15 months, just top ends (every 15-20 hours) and a couple of bottom ends in 200 hours. Only weak point on the KTM has been the formula brake and clutch components, had to rebuild those master and slave cylinders several times. Can't speak to the newer YZ 85, but Yamaha historically is better quality than Kawi in my experience.
We have been the same but a few bucks and 5 minutes and they are rebuilt.
JB 19
6/24/2020 3:28pm
I just bought a 2020 YZ85 for my 10 year old. He isn't super fast so we didn't need the KTM at 1500$ more. It has incredible roll on power for an 85. My son likes to lug bikes and I thought I'd never get him off of our KLX110L.

He loves the Yamaha. I basically told him that the YZ was good enough for all except the kids going to Loretta's.
Tracktor
6/24/2020 5:15pm
JB 19 wrote:
I just bought a 2020 YZ85 for my 10 year old. He isn't super fast so we didn't need the KTM at 1500$ more. It has...
I just bought a 2020 YZ85 for my 10 year old. He isn't super fast so we didn't need the KTM at 1500$ more. It has incredible roll on power for an 85. My son likes to lug bikes and I thought I'd never get him off of our KLX110L.

He loves the Yamaha. I basically told him that the YZ was good enough for all except the kids going to Loretta's.
Change the oil pretty much every ride.
Buy an extra OEM clutch kit & have it ready to go.
Make sure there is play in lever at all times.
Watch the bar riser bolts it's kind of a janky system and bars twist easily if not kept tight.
Powdercoat frame first chance you get the OEM paint flakes off you look at it wrong.
Watch for cracking on inside of frame around swingarm pivot

I think that's everything off top of head on the one I maintained for a friend's kid......
Braaaphole
6/24/2020 8:09pm
The KX is a very dated design in all aspects. It's a decent bike, but doesn't compare to the KTM/Husky. The KTM is literally 20lbs lighter and makes significantly more power.
The YZ falls between the KX and KTM/Husky. It's better than the KX in every aspect, but not as fast as the KTM. The YZ suspension seems to be marginally better than the KX. My understanding is they are pretty similar, but the YZ has external rebound clickers.
All things given, the only way I'd put my kid on a KX to race would be if the only other option was a RM. He had a KX65, then the 85 for a year. I moved him to a Husky and he was immediately faster. I mean his 2nd lap was significantly faster than he had ever gone on the KX.
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
6/24/2020 9:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/24/2020 9:08pm
We raced them both, had 4 KX then 2 YZ. There are positives to both, neither however come close to a KTM / Husk. Your kid can make up the difference most of the time but it makes it tough for sure. As a mechanic I liked working on the Yamaha much better, they are similar in parts pricing but removing the cylinder on a Kawi gets old (Cylinder reed induction). The Kawi also needed much more to be a great local race bike as where a little machining on the base of the YZ cylinder (R&D) and some light porting made a great deal of power with a ton of reliability. The YZ however is not a great option to turn into a supermini, it needs a swingarm for starters and that sucks when you can get big wheels for a kawi and even just buy a 100 with big wheels on it. Ergos on the Kawi are also better, the YZ has the old hump seat that you sit well lower in unlike the relatively flat seat of the kawi. Again, I detested the jug removal of the green one.

Here's a link to a test we were a part of, basically the same bikes. KTM has been updated since and the YZ got a powervalve.
https://www.dirtrider.com/2016-85cc-mx-shootout-comparison/
Press516
Fantasy
126th
6/24/2020 9:22pm
Nobody is really going out to win at a high level on any of these bikes off the showroom floor. They can all he made real good with a little work. I'd probably work with Pro Circuit on the KX and R&D on the RM, but they would be really good race bikes. Quite a few YZ builders out there too.
Bullfrog21
1/23/2022 10:24am
How do the YZ85 and the KX85 compare as far as the distance from the seat to the foot pegs?

I am looking to buy whichever one is larger.

Thanks

Post a reply to: 2020 YZ 85 and 2020 KX 85 shoot out

The Latest