Project Rescue - 2007 KX250 - Rare Part Find 5/31

Related:
Create New Tag

12/24/2021 8:20 PM

So back on November 24th, I spotted a KX250 listed on Marketplace for a wallet breaking $600. After a brief conversation I was on my way. Upon arrival the owner informed me this was a 1 owner bike, also that the bike was a 2007. After checking the frame, I confirmed it on the spot. The bike blew up in 2008 and it has sat since then. The cylinder was gone as well as the shrouds. I gave him the $600 and was on my way back home. The bike still had the original warning stickers on the fender.
Photo
Photo

Upon further investigation I pulled off the ignition cover to check the stator, still has the green ink on the nut so this bike has for sure never been opened up. Along with, I believe, the original front tire (someone possibly confirm?).
Photo
Photo

My plans for the bike so far are somewhat up in the air. I kind of want to do a restoration, or a modest build that isn’t going to break the bank.

|

12/24/2021 8:24 PM

Current stablemate in the build process. 05 KX125 I bought for cheap because the owners son was in legal trouble and needed it gone. Also a 1 owner bike.

Photo

|

12/24/2021 8:29 PM

Crank looks cherry Photo
Photo
sick sick

|

12/26/2021 8:57 AM

Crazy, just wow, you can plant something in there.

Nice find for 600 bucks! Looking Looking forward to see the progress of this bike 🙌

|

12/27/2021 6:22 AM

Got the linkage apart. Checked the bearings, looks like they never have been touched however look great surprisingly Photo
Photo

|

12/27/2021 6:52 AM

Honestly a great find and looking forward to seeing the progress.

|

12/27/2021 2:07 PM

GingerSnapRacing wrote:

Honestly a great find and looking forward to seeing the progress.

Thank you! More updates to follow

|

1/2/2022 4:50 PM

Finally getting some work done to the bike. Took the air box and subframe and cleaned it up. I’m going to remove the airbox from the subframe and take it to my work to blast it. However simple green and hot water work wonders Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

1/2/2022 4:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2022 4:54 PM

Took the swingarm and started to clean it a little. Removing the rear brake assembly, rear wheel and the chain slider and WOW! The chain slider bolts and brake line guide bolts came out so easy, they were never removed from the bike. Threads were super clean. Those bolts will be getting replaced and the chain slider as well.

Swingarm bearings look immaculate, still had a light film of grease on the collars. I put some grease in there and called it chicken soup. I might go ahead and replace the seals with OEM replacements since it’s apart. Photo
Photo

|

2/20/2022 7:35 PM

Been awhile since an update.

I haven’t gotten to do much. I started my new job so that has been my priority as of late. This build probably will not be complete until mid-late summer. However I’m hoping I’ll have some serious bling for it!

To all that are waiting, just be patient. I promise it’ll be worth it

|

2/21/2022 3:30 PM

Got some minor blasting done today with my soda blaster. Getting some different media tomorrow however I wanted to go this route rather vapor honing. I’m trying to budget build this a little while achieving my end goal.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2/22/2022 12:15 PM

Got some different media today. About 95% done on the cylinder. Trying to get all the parts cleaned and ready for reassembly. Still need to get the cylinder replated, then I’ll do the bottom end myself. I’ll blast the cases with the media I got, should be turn out good!

Stay tuned
Photo

|

3/16/2022 6:37 PM

Any updates? I love late model KX’s!

|

4/2/2022 7:31 PM

romain524 wrote:

Any updates? I love late model KX’s!

Yes! Posting one soon. Stay tuned…

|

4/2/2022 7:36 PM

Sorry everyone. Between work and lack of funds lately due to my nephews going far in their playoffs for basketball, the traveling expenses ate into my savings a bit.

Was able to score this brand new Hinson basket for less than half the MSRP.

Photo

Also scored this low hour head from Greg H! Photo

Also been cleaning parts with wire wheel attachments on my dremel however that’s coming to an end because my close friend bought a vapor blasting cabinet so I’ll save big time on that being 20 minutes from my house

|

4/2/2022 7:43 PM

I’m also at a crossroads right now. With this bike being such a low hour bike, I’m on the fence of even riding it (well, making it my primary bike. More as a ride it once or twice a year and store it) due to the part availability on key items. That’s why this build has been going slow, plus my plans have changed a little.

Trying to make it 100% stock as possible. By doing this I’m trying to achieve the “wow” factor of a survivor. I know this may not be a survivor, but it’s being brought back to life. It hasn’t had many hours on it the more I work on parts. No dings in the triple clamps or forks. Shock has warning labels still, the forks are stamped “1” and “2” still.

If I could get OEM shrouds with the graphics on them, then I will be set. I have the OEM set from a 03 but it’s not correct but will do for right now.

|

4/3/2022 10:19 AM

Managed to get the little brother out for a quick photo. Needs a teardown, repaint the frame and top end and she’ll be good. Wish I could get this graphics kit duplicated

Photo

|

4/30/2022 4:55 PM

Little bit of an update. Started removing from the clutch side of the engine and holy moly, my guess is that this has never been apart. Gears look mint condition, same with the clutch. The bolts for the pressure plate have never seen a socket IMO. Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

5/7/2022 5:16 PM

After 45 minutes, the cases finally came apart….wow Photo

|

5/9/2022 9:11 PM

Love it! I've got an 07 as well that has been through a few builds but 100% maintained. I've raced it a lot, but now-a-days it only gets out here and there. Can't bring myself to sell it, to much history, parts, and not a big money bike. I did do a crazy (for me) build on a KX125 as well, but sold it with barley riding it for decent money.

|

5/17/2022 7:34 PM

Enduro_Malcolm wrote:

Love it! I've got an 07 as well that has been through a few builds but 100% maintained. I've raced it a lot, but now-a-days it ...more

Thank you for the kind words.

I do agree, this bike won't go anywhere unless someone is willing to pay what I'm willing to sell it for however, the price is high. I didn't ever ride Kawasaki's in my life until I got my 05 KX125 then shortly after I got this KX250. Once the 250 is done, it'll sit in my basement during the fall/winter months and come out in the Spring/Summer for showing. My KX125 may get sold, but I know I'll kick myself in the ass. So the plan is to restore it and have twin resto's.

|

5/21/2022 5:53 PM

Big update.

I got the engine cases stripped and got them to my friend at Matt’s Vapor Blasting. He got them looking prime as you can see. Anyone looking to get your cases done or any parts he’s super reasonable on pricing, I believe $40/hr which in our area is good because a guy quoted me $250 for these cases to get done. I got these done for $60.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

5/21/2022 5:54 PM

Also, look at this freshie than came in the mail. It’s finally coming together slowly Photo
Photo

|

5/22/2022 2:08 AM

It’s gonna be super cool to see it done! All stock looking with some numbers

|

5/22/2022 6:19 AM

romain524 wrote:

It’s gonna be super cool to see it done! All stock looking with some numbers

Thank you! Yes trying to go with stock graphics look with perhaps an exhaust system at most

|

5/29/2022 9:57 AM

Bit of a different update. I let the 2005 KX125 go today. I picked up my old race bike. My 2002 CR250. Have a great weekend everyone Photo

|

5/31/2022 7:01 PM

I’ve been waiting since I had gotten this bike to find this part, and I finally found it on eBay in nearly mint condition! These link arms are becoming harder to find for sure. Some serious bling for the build! Photo

|

6/2/2022 12:31 PM

Good lord, the mud in the crankcase is just…wow I’m almost impressed grin

|

RPM Performance
CT

6/19/2022 4:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/19/2022 4:01 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been working 50-60 hours a week at the moment plus nonstop sporting events for the family. I did get my CR250 running, had to purchase a brand new cylinder and wossner piston kit.

Photo

|

6/22/2022 6:47 PM

Are you gonna rebuild the CR? Same as the KX with stock plastics and stuff? It would look great!

|