2004 YZ250 build

Related:
Create New Tag

3/16/2018 4:14 PM

Picked up this dirt turd for $2000 here in Australia. Huge Chad Reed fan and his always talked about how much he enjoyed the 04 so I picked this thing up.
Picked it up at night and in the day light it turned out to be rougher then expected but I wanted a project bike to restore and that’s what I got.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

The bike was in pretty rough condition. Just looking from the outside it has mixed bolts, horrible graphics. Stained cases, calipers, hubs, carby, etc.

The goal is to make this thing look new again and and keep it simple in the graphics for an old school factory look.

Anyway I’ve just been chipping away at it for the last year and took a few pics along the way and thought id share it on here.

|

3/16/2018 10:47 PM

So anyway first thing I did was pull it all apart and start cleaning all the parts to bring the bike back to it’s forma glory
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

I really like the look of the little willy hanging of the back of the muffler, gives the bike an old school look. So I cleaned this up and will try to get some pro circuit stickers for it to compliment the procircuit works expansion chamber I’ll eventually get.

|

3/16/2018 11:13 PM

Early on in this build I invested in a dremal to help with the cleaning of parts.Photo

Photo

Photo

This made cleaning parts so much easier. It came with a few different bits but these two above cleaned just about everything. I found the wire in the brush has to be carbon steel wire and not stainless steel. The stainless steel removes the aluminum where as the carbon just cleaned and polished. I spent some hours on this thing in the build but found listening to podcast at the same time made for some good mind numbing therapeutic hours, good for the soul.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Like I said I want this thing to have a clean stock look, so I’m just going to leave these hubs with the aluminum finish. To get this finish with a dremal I used the carbon steel brushes with plenty of CRC or WD40 and aluminum polish.

|

3/17/2018 4:45 PM

Photo

Photo

Decided just to clean and polish these rims to save money on buying new. Bought some stainless spokes and I’m happy with how these wheels look.
Photo

|

3/17/2018 6:43 PM

The stock rear brake disc was bent so I bought a new one. I bought a front disc as well because I thought the stock brakes were ugly and I wanted an oversized disc for better braking.
Photo

Photo

Photo

To clean the calipers I decided to get them blasted because they were caked in shit pretty bad.
Photo

Photo

Photo

The problem with getting them blasted is it leaves a really dry pourous finish and I was worried about them staining straight away. So after blasting them I had to use the dremal with carbon wire brushes WD40 and aluminum polish to give it a finish that’ll help preventing stains in the aluminum.
On the left below is the after blasted finish and right is the polished finish.
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

The brake pedal I didn’t blast I just cleaned it up with the dremal
Photo

Photo

I sent most of the bolts and what ever else I could to get re zinc plated. So I ground the pin out that holds the brake tip and got it re zinced also. Turned out good but went to order the pin that holds it on and you can’t purchase it without buying a complete brake pedal. So I’m thinking I might tap the hole in the pedal and put a bolt in it.
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

3/27/2018 10:36 PM

love this, keep it coming

|

4/15/2018 2:49 PM

Photo

Photo

I ripped the horrendous stickers off the swing arm and took to it with a wire brush and steel wool pads. Looked like old mate painted the frame with the swing arm still on the bike. Thinking I’ll leave it stickerless as I like the bare look better.

Photo

|

4/15/2018 3:09 PM

Photo

Photo

The carby was filthy. They have to many cavities and creases to clean with a dremal so I got it hydroblasted by a bike shop in town. It cost about $100 and the guy done a shitty lazy job of it so once I got it back I had to finish it off with the dremal. For the local guys on here my brother done a build as well and sent his carb to a bloke in Gladstone and for half the price done a way better job. Either way after I had hit it with the dremal, put a new carb rebuild kit threw it and installed the new hoses I was really happy with the end result.

Photo

|

4/15/2018 3:21 PM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Buying a new tank is out of the question because of the dollars. So I cleaned it up as best I can but I’m still not happy with how it turned out. I used different wet and drys and it did turn out a little better then where it was before but I’m hoping someone on here could help me out with pointing me in the right direction to get it looking new again.

Bellow is where it stands after my restoring attempt.

Photo

Photo

|

4/15/2018 8:56 PM

Can’t wait to see this finished! How much longer until she’s done?

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

4/16/2018 1:42 AM

Interesting build. I'll keep on coming back to check on your progress.

|

Work In Progress: ATV Modification - Installation of MSA Motohammer Radial ATV tires.

4/16/2018 1:46 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Can’t wait to see this finished! How much longer until she’s done?

Won’t be to much longer, I’ve slowly been building it for almost 2 years, but it is close

|