Truing wheels without a stand?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/9/2018 5:41 PM

Looking into getting a set of tusk wheels for my bike and getting new spokes and use the stock hub. I dont mess with wheels that much so the idea of buying a stand for one time use seems kinda like a waste. Anyways, what is an effective and accurate way to true them without the stand? Thanks...

|

10/9/2018 6:07 PM

Mount them on the bike and then use a dial indicator. ( or a pencil tapped to either the swing arm or forks to see where adjustments need to be made.)

Paw Paw

|

10/9/2018 6:16 PM

Cable ties on the fork legs work well, trim them to suit

|

10/9/2018 6:39 PM

Do the markers BEFORE taking the old wheel off. Look up wheel dish and offset.

Look up bicycle wheel building.

|

10/9/2018 8:53 PM

Ive done em on the bike with indicator as mentioned.

|

10/10/2018 6:50 AM

What type of indicator? Link? Also that zip tie method, how do set it up on the forks? Any pics? Never done anything like this so thx for any help

|

10/10/2018 9:25 AM

Just did mine and made my own stand. It worked but would say while your getting your Tusk rims just buy the stand for $80 I think it is. Google wheel truing. Stuff on making your own stand and also using the zip tye method. Photo

|

10/10/2018 5:41 PM

Yeah, mount the wheel on the bike without a tire and sit behind it on a stool. Or clamp the axle vertically in a vice and use that. Have to have something sturdy nearby to put a zip tie on to check the trueness.

|

Powerband in every gear !

10/10/2018 5:45 PM

FGR01 wrote:

Yeah, mount the wheel on the bike without a tire and sit behind it on a stool. Or clamp the axle vertically in a vice and use that. Have to have something sturdy nearby to put a zip tie on to check the trueness.

Was planning on doing it that way. Seems the most logical as i could see zip ties being inaccurate.

|

10/11/2018 4:36 AM

FGR01 wrote:

Alec138 wrote:

Was planning on doing it that way. Seems the most logical as i could see zip ties being inaccurate.

Just did my first rear wheel with the cable tie method. Came out perfect with virtually no side to side or radial hop. My spokes were in good knick so I taped the spokes and put the new rim straight on. 2 hr job.

|

10/12/2018 1:18 PM

Did my first wheel last night. Its not as cosmic as it seems. Take your time and don't go crazy when you're adjusting spokes. 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. Brett Cue has a good video on it (I think its on motosports youtube page), and rocky mountain has a video on both lacing and truing.

|

10/13/2018 2:31 AM

Just did a big day on the wheels and are true and tight still. WIN!

|