Suspension issues KTM 350 SXF

WayneJr
Posts
12
Joined
5/26/2019
Location
Frederick, MD, USA
Hi all,

I’m having a hell of a time with shock springs on my 350. I’m about 5’8 and 132 pounds (yes I’m a rail), when I first bought this bike I was closer to 140 so at that time it was recommended I get a 4.0kg spring. I don’t think I ever actually had the sag right on that and after losing weight this year I got a revalve and switched to a 3.7kg. on the 4.0kg, the best I could get was about 97 mm race sag and 48 mm static. On this spring I can get almost 105 mm race, but still at 50 mm static. Needless to say, bike rides like s**t. I’m running 118psi in the fork.

Questions:
1. Could the spring that I was sent just be one from a bad batch that were manufactured? It says 16x265x36, but this spring really should be perfect for my weight if it really were. I should have decent preload on it while hitting the sag numbers, but I didn’t get much more sag out of it than the 4.0kg. That’s also the lightest spring you can get, no other options!!
2. I measure the sag standing straight up and down on the bike. Also checked sitting directly above the pegs, with minimal to no change. Any objections to this method?
3. Any other factors that could be impeding the spring from compressing properly, keeping me from being in the proper 30-40 mm static range and 105-110 race sag range?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide!

-Wayne
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Posts
7517
Joined
11/30/2013
Location
Portland/Los Angeles, CA, USA
5/26/2019 6:02am
Have you adjusted the suspension clickers softer yet!
WayneJr
Posts
12
Joined
5/26/2019
Location
Frederick, MD, USA
5/26/2019 6:33am
Hi Carolina, I haven’t played with the clickers much. I need to get the static sag and race sag combination right first. Compression changes won’t effect that. Bike needs to be balanced out first and foremost.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Posts
7517
Joined
11/30/2013
Location
Portland/Los Angeles, CA, USA
5/26/2019 7:25am
Just giving you more options if you have the lightest spring available.

105 isn’t that far off. Not sure what to do about the air fork but if you soften your whole bike You can get it working ok.

I run 106 sag and my static is 40-45. I think with your weight you can valence it out with clickers. If not a revalve can help settle the bike down.
WayneJr
Posts
12
Joined
5/26/2019
Location
Frederick, MD, USA
5/26/2019 7:59am
Worth playing around with for sure. And your bike feels planted with that much static sag? 40 is acceptable but 45 seems too far out of that range. Have you considered trying a lighter spring on yours?

The Shop

5/26/2019 11:43am
You may well have a mis-labeled spring. My son only weighs 125 lbs, but gets correct sag numbers on his 18 350. Yes, it's been re-sprung; don't remember what spring was put on there.

Btw, he runs 123 pounds of air in the front end. MX only, intermediate/expert level rider.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Posts
7517
Joined
11/30/2013
Location
Portland/Los Angeles, CA, USA
5/26/2019 12:08pm
WayneJr wrote:
Worth playing around with for sure. And your bike feels planted with that much static sag? 40 is acceptable but 45 seems too far out of...
Worth playing around with for sure. And your bike feels planted with that much static sag? 40 is acceptable but 45 seems too far out of that range. Have you considered trying a lighter spring on yours?
Spring is good for me at 160lbs.
WayneJr
Posts
12
Joined
5/26/2019
Location
Frederick, MD, USA
5/26/2019 12:46pm
Matt, thanks for the reply. Good to hear I’m in the ballpark of other riders of the same weight range. I’m sure he’s running a 3.7kg. I’m certainly going to investigate the spring further and see if it was possibly mid labeled.
Paw Paw 271
Posts
3632
Joined
4/3/2013
Location
Benton, LA, USA
5/26/2019 1:32pm
What is the condition of the linkage bearings? If worn it will effect your suspension.

Paw Paw
WayneJr
Posts
12
Joined
5/26/2019
Location
Frederick, MD, USA
5/26/2019 1:50pm
They could probably be cleaned and re greased but the bike only has 43 hours on it
bf884
Posts
511
Joined
1/11/2016
Location
Belle Chasse, LA, USA
5/27/2019 7:20am
WayneJr wrote:
They could probably be cleaned and re greased but the bike only has 43 hours on it
It’s time to break them down. Do that and see where you are then.
WayneJr
Posts
12
Joined
5/26/2019
Location
Frederick, MD, USA
5/27/2019 7:49am
That’s easy enough to do and can see what that results with. Would hate to believe that even slightly worn linkage could cause that much binding though
Shawn_Sinclair
Posts
143
Joined
6/6/2018
Location
Snowmass Village, CO, USA
5/27/2019 9:37am
the race tech springs always run softer than stock. Might be an option to get into the sag range its cheaper than revalving. I have a 18 SXF Im revalved front and rear. I run 128 pounds in front forks and im 170 pounds. I run it softer for enduro. I highly recommend revalving the front air forks it makes a huge difference. I also found after 20 to 30 minutes of hard riding the forks build air from heat in outer chamber and they turn to wood after a while. Its important to bleed the forks as much as possible. I bleed mine every time I stop seems to help. Motion pro bleeders are helpful with this. Although I will say im in the process of installing a KYB spring conversion. Good luck
WayneJr
Posts
12
Joined
5/26/2019
Location
Frederick, MD, USA
5/27/2019 12:15pm
Linkage bearings have been inspected, cleaned and fully re greased. Not a single sign of wear and everything in tight and turning smoothly. Reinstalled and no change in the sag. So that variable/possibility has now been removed!
seth505
Posts
10216
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
SD, CA, USA
5/27/2019 1:51pm
On my 250sx I went down to a 3.9 and my numbers are good. I weigh 150lbs. 106mm sag with 38-40mm static.
5/27/2019 8:49pm
I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers. There is no perfect sag numbers. Its just a ball park starting point and/or reference. Especially us light weights its not easy to have those sag numbers like riders who weigt 165-195. I spoke to a nationally know suspension shop on the phone last week. 105-110mm rider sag and 35-55mm static sag are all in the normal range. Try to adjust the bike by how it is performing, not the "numbers".
WayneJr
Posts
12
Joined
5/26/2019
Location
Frederick, MD, USA
5/28/2019 3:39am
Thanks for the feedback garagedog. A lot of conflicting information out there and I’m the type of person who likes to eliminate variables based on objective information. So maybe it’s not so objective after all lol

Post a reply to: Suspension issues KTM 350 SXF

The Latest