Showa SFF Spring A Kit Fork Help

Related:
Create New Tag

2/22/2018 6:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2018 7:23 PM

I recently came across some used A Kit SFF Spring forks. The previous owner stated they were used on a 2016 KX250F. I figured it was a good deal and I would like to have the A Kit on my 2017 KX450F. Upon further and in possession inspection, the forks are definitely used and have some wear showing. The biggest concern I have is the fork length. They seem to look shorter then my OEM forks. Turns out the Lower Fork Tube is roughly 1" shorter then OEM. The Upper fork tubes are nearly the same.

I guess my concern or questions are; Is this typical for A Kit forks to be shorter then OEM? Can they be lengthened to match OEM specifications? Since they are shorter, this will obviously change the way the bike handles, correct?

I called the Suspension company (Lainer Suspension out of Riverside, CA) and he told me to back out my preload and that should do it...I cant imagine backing out a adjustment would drop the fork tube 1".

I planned on shipping them to PC for service/set up, but if they can't be adjusted to OEM specifications maybe its not worth it.

Does anyone know if the fork length changed throughout the years of production...I understand these forks could be 5-8 years old...not sure.

Thank you

|

2/23/2018 6:52 AM

They should be fine as far as I know they never changed the length. All kxf a kit fit's from I believe 07-18, the preload will affect ride height as the suspension shop stated. Have you checked the damping fork it should be normal length.

|

2/23/2018 7:18 AM

DB97 wrote:

They should be fine as far as I know they never changed the length. All kxf a kit fit's from I believe 07-18, the preload will affect ride height as the suspension shop stated. Have you checked the damping fork it should be normal length.

Thank you for the response. I just checked it and it matches the spring side at 11-1/4". My OEM are 12-1/4". Now this is a basic measurement as I am only measuring exposed lower fork tube length from bottom of seal to top of fork lug. I just don't want to put them on there and end up with a world of problems and not have them work properly.

|

2/23/2018 7:41 AM

The stock tac fork will vary in length based on inner and balance chamber pressures. I have an sff air a kit on my 16 450 and it works great. I would get it setup you shouldn't have any problems.

|

2/23/2018 7:47 AM

I plan on calling and sending them to PC for service and set up today. I would imagine they could get it all taken care of to meet my specifications. I should have mentioned (may sound dumb) but I had PC do a spring conversion on my OEM forks, then I went out and bought A Kit....lol This might play a roll in it as well.

The lower fork lugs are intact, but appear to be hammered on....then again the age of the fork is unknown to me...for what I do, they should do just fine. fingers crossed smile

|

2/23/2018 7:56 AM

I spent a lot on the OEM forks before giving up as well lol. I think those forks are from around 2010-12 range.

|

2/23/2018 9:09 AM

Ok, thank you for the confidence booster with these forks. I was getting a little scared since they can be a expensive. I am hopeful my PC can make this work like a dream for me. Do you have the SFF spring on your bike ?

|

2/23/2018 9:17 AM

I have the sff air non TAC version.

|

2/23/2018 10:03 AM

I’m not sure if you still have your oem, but could you measure the fork tube length just for comparison. When and if you get time.
Thanks

|

2/23/2018 12:36 PM

K-Dub613 wrote:

I’m not sure if you still have your oem, but could you measure the fork tube length just for comparison. When and if you get time.
Thanks

I won't be able to until late tomorrow, you should be fine just call pro circuit if you're worried they will know for sure.

|