SXF 350 2011 help needed

I’ve recently bought a SXF 350 2011, it wasn’t running amazing and had a light on. Had the TPS adjusted then the light went out but was still smoking on idle and didn’t sound amazing. Had a motor rebuild by a guy who’s really switched on. Put the motor in, everything was fine. Ran it in all as you should. It was occasionally cut out on idle if i didn’t give it a few revs but nothing to write home about. I’ve washed the bike, changed the oil, oil filter and cleaned the air filter and the bike will eventually start from cold and as soon as it warms up and i take it off choke it cuts out. It then won’t start, if i let it rest for 30 mins still nothing. I’ve had the injector off and back flushed it (there was what looked like fibreglass in there). Put fuel in. Played with the TPS as it was backfiring so i thought maybe it was running too rich. Cleaned the sensor in the air box. I can hear the fuel pump working. Where else do i go from here? Anyone had any similar problems and if so what was the issue?
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
9/15/2019 5:44am
Inline fuel filter?

Is there a fuel filter in the tank?

Try different ecu?
Paw Paw 271
9/15/2019 9:02am
Fuel filters on pump, and inline and or low fuel pressure.

Paw Paw
9/16/2019 1:20pm
Fuel filters on pump, and inline and or low fuel pressure.

Paw Paw
ordered a new pump with in tank filter. It isn’t fitted with an inline filter off the fuel tank connector like the slightly newer bikes are. How do i even test low fuel pressure? I’ve had some problems with screws holding the injector where the previous owner has obliterated everything and i’m wondering if because they are slightly different screws it’s affected anything

The Shop

9/18/2019 2:24pm
new pump and filter fitted. Idled fine on choke, when warmed up enough for no choke it idled okay (maybe a little lower than i’d prefer) but any throttle and it cut out. I found smoke come from the air box when i removed the air filter, not sure if that’s normal or not
Paul_Pitzonka
9/18/2019 2:47pm
What’s your TPS set at if I recall correctly the earlier 350s were set at the high end of the range around .78 not the .62 that works on current models... does the idle adjustment screw change your idle characteristic? who’s fuel pump did you use?
9/19/2019 5:36am
Not sure on the TPS setting. I had marked where it was and then had a play either way to see if it got any better but it didn’t. The idle adjustment screw makes no difference when twisted but the choke works. I used a quantum fuel pump with new strainer and filter
Paul_Pitzonka
9/19/2019 7:21am
connor147 wrote:
Not sure on the TPS setting. I had marked where it was and then had a play either way to see if it got any better...
Not sure on the TPS setting. I had marked where it was and then had a play either way to see if it got any better but it didn’t. The idle adjustment screw makes no difference when twisted but the choke works. I used a quantum fuel pump with new strainer and filter
The idle adjustment not doing anything tells me you’re out of range on the tps or you have a plugged passage in the throttle body/injector...
charlie68
9/19/2019 7:45am
I would suggest a new injector, I was told by this areas best KTM mechanic that those injectors don't clean well, wet or dry, open or closed. That solved my issue for about $60.
RCF
9/19/2019 11:52am
There's no way you have your TPS set right if you weren't using a voltmeter . they are extremely sensitive even if you marked it you wouldn't be able to get it back to where it should be. In 2011 62 is the stock setting they run better at 68. Also there is an inline filter on that bike it's in the fuel rail. KTM issued a filter and a standard hose clamp for the dealers to put on so if your fuel line is held on with a standard hose clamp and not to crimp type the filter is in there.
RCF
9/19/2019 11:58am
Probably should add the 2011/2012 model when notorious for eating fuel pumps injectors going bad and TPS going bad. If you put a new injector in it or even with the current injector it's very important and run fuel system cleaner in every tank of gas. Star-tron is the cheapest just follow the instructions on the bottle Techtron also works good you run one ounce per gallon with that you can usually pick it up at AutoZone buy one get one free. There are Cheap aftermarket pumps available for those bikes I would recommend keeping one on hand. We used to go through two or three pumps a year on the 11 and 12's
6/11/2020 5:39am
Update:
it cuts out on idle and when the clutch is pulled in without throttle. It runs fine when the choke is on and it rides fine on the track but getting it to the track is a b*tch.

It’s had a full motor rebuild, new injector, new fuel pump and filter and new capacitor.

To me it seems like too low idle and it even sounds like that, i’ve adjusted the TPS to 6, 6.3, 6.8 and 7 and it doesn’t seem to make any difference. Also when I adjust the idle screw it makes no audial difference which I would expect it to pick the revs up.
Factor E
6/11/2020 10:52am
Check all wiring around throttle body and ultra sonic clean body
Tps sensor could be bad also

Post a reply to: SXF 350 2011 help needed

The Latest