Rim swapping question

lcgordon711
Edited Date/Time 4/2/2018 9:55am
I noticed a couple cracks in my 03 rm 250 rear rim and I have some from my 08 yz 450 I could use they are both 2.15 x 19 and 36 hope pattern but the yz part number for excel is GES 422 and the rm is GES 410. Would that make the angle the spokes are drilled a little different. Are they close enough I could use them do you think. Would love to save the cash.
|
lcgordon711
3/12/2018 9:33pm
Never mind prettysure I figured it out my yz hub is 6 I’m wide and the rm one is a little less so the spokes would be at different angles. Guessing it won’t work.
RCF
3/13/2018 8:36am
What I usually do in a situation like this ,i go to website like Rocky Mountain ATV look up the wheel for the RM then look up the wheel for the YZ and see if the part numbers are the same. There's a lot of parts that cross over.
lcgordon711
3/13/2018 9:00am
Thanks yeah actually I did do that and they don’t. But turns out my buddy has a stock on off a 2011 kx450 and they are the same part numbers. Wonder if my spokes will work or if I need the special excel ones?
FiendzCC
3/13/2018 11:18am
You're fine, the difference in part numbers indicates the location/number of rim lock hole. They're both 36 hole, and they'll lace up without any modification or drilling of the rims. Lace it on up.

The Shop

lcgordon711
3/13/2018 11:27am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2018 11:37am
Oh sick thanks. That is what I was trying to figure out. Truthfully my buddies rim is apart and he will never use it and it’s free. Probably just use that. But good to know information. Thanks for chiming in exactly what I was looking to find out

EDIT I actually just talked to excel asking about what spokes I need to buy and I ran the part number question by him and he said the holes are drilled at different angles so I would have to drill the angle out slightly to get it to work. Oh well I will just use my buddies rim.
3/15/2018 5:47am
Oh sick thanks. That is what I was trying to figure out. Truthfully my buddies rim is apart and he will never use it and it’s...
Oh sick thanks. That is what I was trying to figure out. Truthfully my buddies rim is apart and he will never use it and it’s free. Probably just use that. But good to know information. Thanks for chiming in exactly what I was looking to find out

EDIT I actually just talked to excel asking about what spokes I need to buy and I ran the part number question by him and he said the holes are drilled at different angles so I would have to drill the angle out slightly to get it to work. Oh well I will just use my buddies rim.
That's not true i ride and rmz and I'm running d.i.d. ktm rims and there was no issue lacing them up or truing them
lcgordon711
3/15/2018 6:33am
Do you know if it was in fact different part numbers? I'm just relaying what the guy from excel said.

I will be using a rim from a 2011 kx450 on my 03 rm 250 but they are the same part number unlike my yz450.

My guess is they are just slightly different and you cant really tell the difference between them but excel is going to tell you to use the correct one and not one that could potentially not be as strong. I would guess for the average rider it would be fine though.

I will never know because I'm not going to use that rim when I have one that is the same.
3/16/2018 5:39am
Do you know if it was in fact different part numbers? I'm just relaying what the guy from excel said. I will be using a rim...
Do you know if it was in fact different part numbers? I'm just relaying what the guy from excel said.

I will be using a rim from a 2011 kx450 on my 03 rm 250 but they are the same part number unlike my yz450.

My guess is they are just slightly different and you cant really tell the difference between them but excel is going to tell you to use the correct one and not one that could potentially not be as strong. I would guess for the average rider it would be fine though.

I will never know because I'm not going to use that rim when I have one that is the same.
The rims I have on my bike are D.i.D for a ktm the part number is different from the Suzuki part number but everything lines up fine I have laced up to many rims in my life so I'm not expert but from my experience so far as long as the rim is the right amount of holes they have laced up fine
lcgordon711
3/16/2018 6:10am
Cool yeah I was thinking that they probably all work but the guy from excel can’t legally tell me to use something that is not “made” for my bike
lcgordon711
3/16/2018 6:56am
Just bought new spokes was going to go with the chrome moose racing spokes but got worried they may look too blingy and cheap. Went with the excel ones. Not sure what spoke wrench works for those. Could not order one because they could not tell me.
3/16/2018 7:06am
Just bought new spokes was going to go with the chrome moose racing spokes but got worried they may look too blingy and cheap. Went with...
Just bought new spokes was going to go with the chrome moose racing spokes but got worried they may look too blingy and cheap. Went with the excel ones. Not sure what spoke wrench works for those. Could not order one because they could not tell me.
Excel spokes are bigger you may need to drill your hub out for them to fit
lcgordon711
3/16/2018 7:08am
It is an excel hub. But it is an oem one from a 11 kx450. Not sure if they are different or not.
3/16/2018 7:14am
It is an excel hub. But it is an oem one from a 11 kx450. Not sure if they are different or not.
What do you mean it's and excel hub if it's the oem hub it's not an excel hub excel hubs are aftermarket I've never seen a bike come with excel hubs from the factory
lcgordon711
3/16/2018 7:17am
Oh dang I misread that. I thought you said drill out your rim. Sounds like I need to place a new order I don’t want to have to drill my hub out. I think I’ll get the moose racing stainless unless there is a better option?
3/16/2018 7:21am
Most the aftermarket spoke company's are oversized spokes from my experience it's easy to drill the hub out your just opening it up abit
lcgordon711
3/16/2018 7:25am
Screw it I guess I’ll give it a shot. Is there a certain drill bit I need to look for or just eye ball it with the spokes diameter?
3/16/2018 7:27am
No it has to be a certain size don't want to eyeball it lol I can't remember exactly I want to say it was 11/36 but I could be wrong
lcgordon711
3/16/2018 7:30am
Ok thanks is it the same size as the spoke? I could just put the calipers on it to figure out.
3/16/2018 7:32am
Idk like I said I'm not expert I just started doing my own rims just going off my experience
lcgordon711
3/16/2018 7:34am
Thanks for the help. I’ll give excel a call I’m sure they will know the process
FiendzCC
3/16/2018 10:19am
Couple misconceptions here. Don't drill your hub, give me a call first 951 600 7048

I'll explain everything you need to do and save you a whole lot of time
lcgordon711
3/26/2018 8:04pm
So big question. I laced up my rim and got the tire on and it all worked. I thought all my spokes were the same length though. I set them side by side and they seemed really close. I did not inspect them that much. I thought they would be way different if they were different. I just used them all as they were the same. I did not notice any spokes sticking out of the nipples. Or much threads out of the top or any at all. Should I take the tire off and the wheel apart and inspect the spokes? Or will it ride ok like it is?
lcgordon711
3/26/2018 8:12pm

Just thought to go out and check my oem ones I still have and they seem to be the same. They are all a tad different but I think it’s cuz it’s hard to lay them out straight side by side without going in a circle. I feel like there is no way I could speperate into two lengths. I feel it was the same with my new ones too. What do you guys think. Thanks maybe I’m just an idiot.
FiendzCC
3/26/2018 9:21pm
The RM rear spokes have two lengths, the longer of the two being the inner spokes on both the sprocket and disc side. The difference between the outer and inner spoke length is minimal, and difficult to notice at first glance. I don't know how you laced it, how many threads are showing, etc., but if you didn't differentiate between the two, yes, chances are you technically laced it incorrectly. Now would you for sure run into issues with it laced that way? Not necessarily. Post a picture of how many threads are showing, I may be able to eyeball it and give you a better answer.
lcgordon711
3/27/2018 6:17am
Thanks that would be awesome I will go out after work and take a pic. Looks like between short and long there is only maybe 3 thread length difference. I would not think that would make a big deal as long as they are not poking through the bottom of the nipple into your tube. I did notice some were a little bit tougher to get started on the nipple but not that bad.
3/27/2018 6:57am
Thanks that would be awesome I will go out after work and take a pic. Looks like between short and long there is only maybe 3...
Thanks that would be awesome I will go out after work and take a pic. Looks like between short and long there is only maybe 3 thread length difference. I would not think that would make a big deal as long as they are not poking through the bottom of the nipple into your tube. I did notice some were a little bit tougher to get started on the nipple but not that bad.
It will you have to lace them properly , my rmz rims have short and long in the rear of unlace it and re do it properly as I made the same mistake you did awhile ago and I could never get the rim true
lcgordon711
3/27/2018 7:13am
I will probably end up taking it apart. But I don't see why it would not true correctly. You just would have more or less threads in the nipple. Its not like its so short to get it together it pulls it one way or another.
3/27/2018 7:43am
There designed to go a certain way , that's how they need to go there is a reason for half being short then the other but eh if you don't want to take the advice then don't
lcgordon711
3/27/2018 7:55am
I get they are designed to go a certain way. I never said they are not. I said I would probably change them. What I cant see is them affecting truing the wheel. Hey I may be wrong, but if you had a shroud bolt that stuck out the back of the nut 1inch vs one that only went in the nut half way the shroud would still be just as straight. If you had all the nipples turned onto the spoke at the same amount of turns then the wheel would not be true. That is how I see it atleast. The only problem I see with not having the right spokes in the right places is not having enough threads in the nipples resulting in it being easier for the spoke to rip out of the nipple or the spoke going into the rim and popping the tube.
3/27/2018 7:59am
I get they are designed to go a certain way. I never said they are not. I said I would probably change them. What I cant...
I get they are designed to go a certain way. I never said they are not. I said I would probably change them. What I cant see is them affecting truing the wheel. Hey I may be wrong, but if you had a shroud bolt that stuck out the back of the nut 1inch vs one that only went in the nut half way the shroud would still be just as straight. If you had all the nipples turned onto the spoke at the same amount of turns then the wheel would not be true. That is how I see it atleast. The only problem I see with not having the right spokes in the right places is not having enough threads in the nipples resulting in it being easier for the spoke to rip out of the nipple or the spoke going into the rim and popping the tube.
Your comparing Apple to oranges the length of the spoke does determine the pull either way if you have a shorter spoke where it suppose be a longer spoke and your trying to true it will affect the truing , I had the same issue when I was first starting to true and lace my own rims, it does matter

Post a reply to: Rim swapping question

The Latest