Preload vs compression

rc10andy
7/4/2018 1:03pm
Hi guys, I've had a fork spring conversion kit fitted with a preload adjuster to my Husky which has made it twice the bike it was with air forks tbh. Only thing is I'm having a slight issue with bottoming on big hits like a drop off or a flat land. I like my suspension quite soft and if I add compression to stop the bottoming I find the bike pushes and tucks in corners especially in sandy conditions. I like the way the fork feels right now and its working well, it is also the correct spring rate for my weight.

I'm wondering, would it be wise to add a turn of preload to the fork to try and stop this issue or am I essentially just doing the same as what stiffening the compression would do? I don't touch the preload adjuster at all but I'd guess that if I add preload I'll have to adjust the rebound too.

Cheers
|
Rotaholic
7/4/2018 2:43pm
I would try adding more oil rather than preload.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
7/4/2018 4:34pm
Rotaholic wrote:
I would try adding more oil rather than preload.
+1 on adding oil first.

I’ve found preload helps keep the front end up in the stroke and in the plush few inch’s of travel but won’t help with bottoming resistance like compression clickers would.
skypig
7/4/2018 11:07pm
Preload for static ride height. (With correct spring weight)
Compression damping for “dynamic ride height”, and firmness/bottoming resistance.
Higher Oil level (less air volume) to increase bottoming resistance without changing other properties.
Sander
7/4/2018 11:27pm
What spring kit you have? Cant really decide between KYB or öhlins cartridge kit

The Shop

rc10andy
7/5/2018 12:25am
Sander wrote:
What spring kit you have? Cant really decide between KYB or öhlins cartridge kit
I have a K-tec. I picked a used one up on the cheap. I've heard that the K-tec isn't as plush as other kits but it feels great for me.

Post a reply to: Preload vs compression

The Latest