Newbie has a starting problem

old man 125
Edited Date/Time 6/16/2020 12:32pm

I am a newbie to the forum and to being in the dirt again after riding Harleys since the 80's. I have a 1997 CR125 Honda that has a 134cc big bore kit. Bought it last week, watched the PO start it and watched him ride around on it. I rode it and am comfortable with it but since I got it home, I can't start it. The PO says if it is flooded, the exhaust pipe gets fuel in it and that may be the problem. What is the normal start up procedure? No throttle, full choke, fuel off, then kick, then turn fuel on, kick again. Everything i've tried doesn't work. New plug (it does have spark), changed the gas. Very frustrating. Seems to have fuel coming out the exhaust manifold, so I'm taking the exhaust off today. Any other suggestions?
|
mxgreg85
6/15/2020 8:56am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2020 12:43pm
Try turning the fuel off, then lean the bike over at an angle until you see fuel draining out of the hoses. It will take around ten seconds for all of the fuel below the fuel switch to drain out. Kick it a few times to push anything out of the top. Then turn the fuel back on and go through your procedure. It sounds like the float height in the carb might be off, look up instructional videos on setting that. The float itself may have a crack or hole, preventing it from floating.
old man 125
6/15/2020 11:33am
Thanks, I'll give it a try. The PO has been on email with me and he's trying to help too. I brought it home on a trailer and it got bounced around due to the construction in my area, but it never fell over. Does it matter what side I lay it down on? The PO suggested I remove the exhaust as it may have fuel in it from the flooding.
mxgreg85
6/15/2020 12:04pm
You don't have to lay it all the way down, just lean it over until fuel starts coming out of the carb drain hoses- once you get to around 45 degrees you should be able to see it, just hold it there until it stops. Whatever side you are standing on, just lean it towards you. Make sure the gas is turned off from the tank before you do this, you are just trying to get the excess out of the carb. If air passes through the exhaust when you kick it, that is not what is preventing it from starting, though it wouldn't hurt to save your silencer packing from getting wet. Try bump starting it- get it rolling as fast as you can in neutral using a hill or pushing it with a buddy, hop on, shift into 2nd and sit hard on the seat when you let the clutch go to make the rear tire bite- you're basically forcing the engine to rotate using the drivetrain instead of the kick starter which can be more effective if it is flooded.
KX500
6/16/2020 12:32pm
Floats sticking is pretty common. So much so, that most guys turn the fuel off if the bike is going to be sitting for any length of time.

When the floats stick, all the excess fuel is supposed to run out of an overflow hose on the carb. But sometimes the fuel will go directly into the crankcase. Once that fills up, then it goes into the exhaust pipe.

So, if you have gas in the exhaust pipe, the crankcase is probably full also & your only chance at starting it would be the bump start method. Still, the gas in that crankcase has to go somewhere.

But better than that, would be remove the spark plug, turn the bike upside down (resting on handlebars/seat) & see if gas comes out of the spark plug hole. Probably best to have piston at the bottom of the stroke so gas can flow though the ports & not have to get past the ring. Anyway If gas comes out, wait until it stops coming out, turn bike back over, reinstall plug and hopefully you can start it with a few kicks.

It was probably 25 years ago that I learned this lesson well. A Buddys YZ250 filled up the pipe/crankcase. By pure luck on was on the non exhaust side as we pushed him to try it get it to start. It took a bit, but finally the thing belched a good cup full of gas out of the silencer (& right onto my other buddy) and started up. Smoked like crazy for a few minutes as the engine finally cycled through all the excess fuel. But it was fine after that.

Every since then, yes I turn the gas off if the bike sits for more than a few minutes.

Post a reply to: Newbie has a starting problem

The Latest