Lowering KX65

Log Hopper
Fantasy
1586th
I see Kawasaki has 4 different length suspension rods available. Do I want the longest one or shortest one to get the bike as low as possible? I don't have the bike in front of me and I'm having a hard time visualizing it.
|
slipdog
2/23/2017 7:11am
The longer the pull rod is the lower the rear will sit.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
2/23/2017 9:21pm
Whenever looking for parts, cross-reference the 03-05 RM65 as it's the same bike. Sometimes parts will be cheaper from Suzuki, while other times the Kawi stuff is cheaper. I found lighter fork springs from Suzuki were something like $50, the Kawi ones were $75, and aftermarket was $100. When they arrived there was a Kawi part number and tag in with the springs.
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1586th
2/24/2017 6:38am
Thanks for the tip. I checked out an 05 RM and the part number was the same just with the dash in a different spot. Saved me $40 on the rods. I owe you a beer.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
2/24/2017 8:44am
Outstanding.

It's been years since we were on the 65, but there were a couple other tips that have drifted back into my consciousness.

They like to piss fuel out the vent tube, I think moreso when leaned to the left. I bent the brass overflow in a curve so it almost touched the carb body. That doesn't effect the float height or how it runs, but helped it not drip fuel.

I think Cometic makes a thinner base gasket. We ended up with a squish of .27; it helped add power, deceased the spooge and still ran on the CA pump swill.

Lopping an inch off the factory silencer gained a smidge more low-end with no perceptible increase in noise.

A light tip-over often results in tweaked wheel to bar relationship. I lightly rouged up the insides of the triple clamp, thoroughly cleaned the neck to top clamp, and kept the top nut quite tight. Loosen the underside spanner nut enough to keep the bearings from being over-tightened. It helped.

Great little bike, he beat the snot out of his. Tracks, desert riding, even sand dunes (it sucks in the dunes even with a paddle), it took it all in stride.

Post a reply to: Lowering KX65

The Latest