CRF250R Enough For Woods Riding/Racing?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/6/2018 5:00 PM

Tossing the idea around of selling my YZ and moving to a 4t again as I feel more comfortable and am overall faster in the woods on 4t’s. I was doing some searching and whatnot and most people are selling newer model CRFs for fairly cheap compared to say the KTM or even the yamaha’s.

I weight probably 220lbs and 225lbs with all gear. I obviously would have to get my suspension setup for me but what Im more concerned with would the motor “carry me” well enough? I would classify myself as a Intermediate/Advanced rider. I like some slow stuff mixed with flowy trails and so forth.

We currently have an older 06 crf450r bored over and it does amazing but is overwhelmingly too much in the tighter technical stuff even some easier trails. Its more if you lay it down on a hillclimb...

Reason im gearing towards a 250 as its less of a workout.

Whats your guys suggestions? Anybody in my situation?

|

9/6/2018 5:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2018 5:38 PM

YZ250Fs are reliable, CRFs, less so. The 2014+ YZ250F gearbox is painfully short, offroad. It's about 20% shorter than a YZ250 2-stroke. I ran a 14T counter on the 2014+YZ250F and the YZ250 2stroke and the 2-stroke pulled it way better. 6-speed on the YZ250FX is great and the fuel range on those bikes is excellent. They will carry you, no problem.

|

KTM250SX YZ125 YZ85 PW80 ZX6 FZX700

9/6/2018 5:42 PM

YZed250 wrote:

YZ250Fs are reliable, CRFs, less so. The 2014+ YZ250F gearbox is painfully short, offroad. It's about 20% shorter than a YZ250 ...more

Figured. I had an 06 yz250f and absolutely hated the thing in the woods. I hear the new ones are alot more nimble and are opened up better. Ill look more into the yzfs also. The FX model is nice as well. I rode an 18’ 450FX at the yamaha demo days near me and it felt really nice although it had a rekluse and fi and hated it

|

9/6/2018 6:25 PM

I don’t think I’d like to ride a CRF250 in the woods. The new 250s have all the power up to, not much roll on.

I’ve ridden a YZ250FX in the woods a few days and I think it’s an amazing bike out of the box for woods.

For your size, have you looked into a KTM 350XCF? Or XCW?

|

9/6/2018 7:49 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I don’t think I’d like to ride a CRF250 in the woods. The new 250s have all the power up to, not much roll on.

I’ve ridden a ...more

Yes I have. Lots of times. I actually prefer to get a KTM next but as usual people want top dollar for them. My dad got lucky and got a freshly rebuilt 11’ 350sxf at 50hrs for 3k. Found a few super nice 15s but they want 6-7k for them when for that money I could put a huge down payment on an 18’. Its still an idea but I would like to have my mind set on something before next season starts...

|

9/6/2018 9:22 PM

I highly recommend the 11-17 crf as a woods/ technical singletrack bike. They are very nimble and turn so well in those tight techincal spots. The motor is very useable with that low to mid character they have. Maybe not the best moto bike but every time I have one as a woods bike I love it and feel comfortable and fast. I'm 190lbs fyi.

|

9/10/2018 2:05 AM

What mods have you done to your yz? I rode woods for the first time ever on my yz the other week and thought it was awesome. Only mod was a dep standard length silencer and 9oz flywheel weight. If I rode woods all the time I would probably go for an 11oz or even 13 oz

|

9/10/2018 5:15 AM

chump6784 wrote:

What mods have you done to your yz? I rode woods for the first time ever on my yz the other week and thought it was awesome. ...more

It was used as a mx bike when i bought it. Before that it was a GNCC bike A class rider i beileve. So it was ran hard as hell. I bought it cheap though luckily because about 6 rides with it the crank developed play and smsahed the piston breaking a piece off the ringland. So it got a full rebuild and all.

- It has a 13oz fww
- Gytr/fmf pipe/silencer
- Acerbis skidplate
- EE handguards
- 15’ restyle kit
- Full Ohlins A kit suspension (was done by the PO) i personally hate it...
- Scotts stabilizer
- Xtrig clamps with renthal bar clamps
- Renthal twinwalls
- I bought a rekluse auto clutch but havent put it in yet as i am conteplating selling the bike and ill sell off the new rekluse seperate
- Also bought a set of tusk impact black/blue hub wheels that are on backorder till october that i can still cancel
- Other bling parts and such added as well

|