2017 KTM 250SX Compression Base Gasket Selection ?

YZed250
Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 2:10pm
2017 KTM 250SX first piston and rings at 100hrs, checked compression at sea-level before tear-down at 195psi with stock cylinder head. Bike has been running well at the time of the tear-down.

I replaced the piston and rings and base gasket with OEM parts, checked compression after rebuild and was at only 180psi. That was with the bike sitting on the stand, no run time on new parts.

When selecting my new base gasket from the KTM optional set, I measured the stock and replacement new gasket with Vernier caliper at about 0.4mm. Bit hard to tell if I had an exact match, but pretty close.

I am concerned that the new compression is lower than the old compression; should I check the squish or X-dim before I fire it up? Or maybe I should just put an hour on it before testing comp again and allow the rings to seat?

TIA.

|
DynoDan22
3/9/2020 10:11am
Odd that the compression went down after a rebuild. Ususally, the oil used as assembly lube bumps up the compression alone. I always measure the X-dim before I tear down the first time. If this is not an option, and you forgot to do this, the X-dimension is almost always between -.003" and .000". I've never seen a protruding piston above the deck from KTM out of all the bikes I've had. For peace of mind, I would double check the X-dim by puilling the head off. The piston is domed which poses a few hassles if you don't have the Nihilo gauge, but I just used the flat edge on my calipers and used a feeler gauge around the outer surface and averaged about six readings. Hope this helps and good luck!
YZed250
3/9/2020 2:40pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2020 3:03pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
Odd that the compression went down after a rebuild. Ususally, the oil used as assembly lube bumps up the compression alone. I always measure the X-dim...
Odd that the compression went down after a rebuild. Ususally, the oil used as assembly lube bumps up the compression alone. I always measure the X-dim before I tear down the first time. If this is not an option, and you forgot to do this, the X-dimension is almost always between -.003" and .000". I've never seen a protruding piston above the deck from KTM out of all the bikes I've had. For peace of mind, I would double check the X-dim by puilling the head off. The piston is domed which poses a few hassles if you don't have the Nihilo gauge, but I just used the flat edge on my calipers and used a feeler gauge around the outer surface and averaged about six readings. Hope this helps and good luck!
I haven't measured the X-dim, but I think I'm going to lift the head and as long as it's within the factory spec, I'm going to call it good enough to fully assemble and test. Just confirming 0 to 0.003" are good numbers for X-dim?
While I'm at it, does anyone have the control flap height measurement (aka z-dim)?
3/9/2020 4:31pm
Is is possible the compression will be higher after a break in period when the rings seat?

The Shop

DynoDan22
3/9/2020 7:12pm
15 psi loss is a big swing. I've noticed a little higher reading from the excess oil used as assembly lube even though the rinds aren't broken in yet, but it's subjective to how much oil is used. I've seen some people assemble two stroke top ends almost completely dry. Not how I do it but to each their own.
YZed250
3/10/2020 8:46am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 9:11am
DynoDan22 wrote:
15 psi loss is a big swing. I've noticed a little higher reading from the excess oil used as assembly lube even though the rinds aren't...
15 psi loss is a big swing. I've noticed a little higher reading from the excess oil used as assembly lube even though the rinds aren't broken in yet, but it's subjective to how much oil is used. I've seen some people assemble two stroke top ends almost completely dry. Not how I do it but to each their own.
X-dimension was close to zero, but I think I want to get a plate and dial-indicator or proper x-dimension tool.
Bike ran great for the first 15 min warm up on the street last night. I'm going to recheck compression once I pass the first hour.

Owners manual says 3hrs <75% and 5hrs <100%, oh boy! Don't think I'll survive for that long without getting excited 1 hour of heat cycles and she'll be good to go riding.
AJ565
3/10/2020 11:25am
Thats 100 hours? I'm at 70 on my '18 and was getting ready to put a piston and ring in it. I might wait a little longer now.
YZed250
3/10/2020 11:42am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 1:04pm
AJ565 wrote:
Thats 100 hours? I'm at 70 on my '18 and was getting ready to put a piston and ring in it. I might wait a little...
Thats 100 hours? I'm at 70 on my '18 and was getting ready to put a piston and ring in it. I might wait a little longer now.
It all depends on how clean your intake is and if you're supplying enough fuel/oil for the conditions the motor is subject to.

I see trail riders on ktmtalk go 200-400hrs on a piston, and I see the Vitalmx crew replacing top end at 25-70 hrs so its all subjective, IMHO. Not many take the time to measure compression, bore and piston diameter accurately anyway, and that's an art IN itself as the clearance is not the same the entire length of the bore.

I didn't want to run it past 100 hrs, but don't have a solid reason for replacing it apart from the fact that it was in the middle of the road for hours and cost is not that much. I ride mostly in the meat of the pwr, but about 10% of the time, I'm just poking along technical trails, and about 10% of the time, I'm holding it WOT on a long straightaway (much longer than regular MX).

I found that my ring gap was out to 0.85 mm on the top ring and that's a little wide. I did have some slight intake scuffs on the front side, but no detonation or marks on the exhaust side. Ring wear was even around the circumference. Coating was gone/worn on the skirt tips due to some piston rocking in the bore. I'll grab some pics of the skirt and under the crown. Black spot under crown was a bit too big/lean IMHO. I never used to see that much black under a YZ250 piston. I might bump the main one or two sizes 440 to 450 to keep it a little cooler. Wrist pin and bearing were all in really nice shape.

My nikasil was a more little worn than I would have liked; I could clearly see crosshatching below the piston landing, but not as clearly in the stroke. I run 50:1 pump.

Original spark plug electrode was visibly worn and due to be replaced IMHO.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/10/2020 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 12:15pm
I have a 2017 as well. Did my top-end at 50 hours and everything looked great.
AJ565
3/10/2020 1:10pm
I ride MX only and lots of wide open throttle, but its not long periods of time. I'm still at 200 psi compression and my jetting is a hair rich at the moment because I've been playing in the sand. Our jetting is way different, I'm running a 500 main lol.
YZed250
3/10/2020 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2020 11:42am
AJ565 wrote:
I ride MX only and lots of wide open throttle, but its not long periods of time. I'm still at 200 psi compression and my jetting...
I ride MX only and lots of wide open throttle, but its not long periods of time. I'm still at 200 psi compression and my jetting is a hair rich at the moment because I've been playing in the sand. Our jetting is way different, I'm running a 500 main lol.
Well I guess you know it can stand up to some more abuse, LOL. I tested:
- leaner jetting
- longer WOT
- and 30+ more hours
YZed250
3/16/2020 11:11am
Thought I would update this thread: bike runs about 7/10 with the current setup after about 2hrs of run time. Plan is:
1. Double-check compression.
2. Reset deck height to 0 x-dim.

When I tested YZ250 in the past with retarded ignition timing and thicker base gasket, the bike became much more linear and revved a lot longer. It was more effective in the desert.

This wasn't the case at all on my KTM; I lost boost/bark and the topend is kinda anemic. Just goes to show how critical this measurement really is.

Post a reply to: 2017 KTM 250SX Compression Base Gasket Selection ?

The Latest