cutting down silencer

mcphilly
Posts
1245
Joined
7/29/2008
Location
Monroe, WA, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 5:26am
I have an 06 yz 125...........How much do you cut off of it to get some more low end power and is it really worth it ? I have an FMF set up....


thanks
|
Jabjr222
Posts
1364
Joined
4/17/2008
Location
Seattle, WA, USA
6/13/2009 11:26am
I don't think cutting your silencer would help the low end. I think, and I might be wrong, but I think more back pressure is better for low end power...

Plus,you have a 125, you are never, or at least you shouldn't ever, be in the low end in the first place.

And finally, it will just make it louder and run like shit.
bd
Posts
6055
Joined
4/6/2007
Location
Las Vegas, NV, USA
6/13/2009 11:51am
FMF Shorty
6/13/2009 8:13pm
Cutting the silencer on a 2-stroke will often give a small boost in low-end, but it might take away more top-end then you gain in the bottom. There's a balance. Most folks cut about 1 1/2" off the end.

You might need to re-jet slightly, and it will likely be slightly louder.

If you have access to an aftermarket shorty silencer, try it out to see if you like the difference. Then just cut yours to match the length. Since the inner tube is the same on all of them, it's not rocket science.

Once again, you may well loose more in the top-end than the small gain you get in low-end. If you're on a MX track it's probably not worthwhile, but might be for off-road.
mcphilly
Posts
1245
Joined
7/29/2008
Location
Monroe, WA, USA
6/13/2009 10:12pm
Cutting the silencer on a 2-stroke will often give a small boost in low-end, but it might take away more top-end then you gain in the...
Cutting the silencer on a 2-stroke will often give a small boost in low-end, but it might take away more top-end then you gain in the bottom. There's a balance. Most folks cut about 1 1/2" off the end.

You might need to re-jet slightly, and it will likely be slightly louder.

If you have access to an aftermarket shorty silencer, try it out to see if you like the difference. Then just cut yours to match the length. Since the inner tube is the same on all of them, it's not rocket science.

Once again, you may well loose more in the top-end than the small gain you get in low-end. If you're on a MX track it's probably not worthwhile, but might be for off-road.
thanks

The Shop

drummer dude
Posts
1448
Joined
5/2/2008
Location
Hermitage, PA, USA
6/30/2009 4:49pm
mcphilly wrote:
I have an 06 yz 125...........How much do you cut off of it to get some more low end power and is it really worth it...
I have an 06 yz 125...........How much do you cut off of it to get some more low end power and is it really worth it ? I have an FMF set up....


thanks
Save yourself the headache. go get a fmf or pro circuit shorty silencer or look for one on line. dont think youll have to rejet. should be ok. youll get more bottom end out of the shorty.

Post a reply to: cutting down silencer

The Latest