MX-Tech Suspension Review KTM 250 SX

mxtech1
Edited Date/Time 4/6/2013 2:31am
I would like to share my experience and review from having my 2010 KTM 250 SX suspension worked by MX-Tech Suspension!

My profile name nor am I affiliated with MX-Tech Suspension, just a coincidence. Just giving an honest review from a paying customers point of view.

Why I chose MX-Tech?
I called around to several places including Factory Connection, Pro-Action, Pro Circuit, and MX-Tech. I was impressed by what most places had to offer, but after speaking with Matt Hammond at MX-Tech I was sold. He was able to clearly explain to me how their products worked, how they custom build what they use, and what sets them apart. I spent about 30 minutes chatting with Matt and asking him questions, and this was even before I had even committed to them. I could tell he was willing to spend the time working with me and he listened to what I had complaints about.

Shipping:
I sent all of my suspension out on a Sunday and Matt from MX-Tech was on the phone with me late Tuesday afternoon letting me know he had the suspension torn-down. Matt finished the suspension up that same week and I had my suspension back to my house by that Friday, so basically a 5 day turn around including shipping.

What I had done
First off, I should note I was willing to drop some serious money on getting the suspension right, but Matt actually steered me in a cheaper direction than what I had originally called about. This really stood out to me because he could have up-sold me on all of his products but he didn’t. He was confident he could make my suspension work great without going overboard.

Forks:
Premium revalve and service
Fork Midvalve Check Valves
Element 7 subvalve system
SKF low-friction seals and wipers
Fork springs

Shock:
KTM PDS premium revalve and rebuild
MX-Tech Needle Valve
MX-Tech Platform valve
Progressive spring
KTM piston and reservoir

Interesting notes – Matt actually talked me out of the Huck valves on the first round of service. He mentioned to me that with my weight and riding ability he thought the huck valves would be a better addition down the road. The shock had also been previously revalved before I got it by an unidentifiable company. After Matt tore into the shock, he said it looked like a competitor’s knock-off piston and revalve design with an aftermarket bladder kit. Matt put a stock KTM piston back in and also replaced the aftermarket bladder kit with a KTM reservoir system.

Communication was great during the build. I think Matt called me 2 or 3 times to talk to me about what was going on. He always asked permission to do additional work that was not previously discussed before the suspension was torn down.

First Ride:
I set sag to MX-Tech’s recommendation for my first ride at 110mm. Static sag was a little high at 42mm. I talked to Matt about the static sag and he recommended 105mm which put me right on the money for static sag.

The first ride on the suspension I could immediately tell the fork was stiff. I rode the bike for about 1 hour to feel it out and break everything in. On the track, the suspension was amazing, even with the fork feeling too stiff. I could put the bike into the tightest inside ruts the track had or sweep an outside berm and the suspension was planted! I could just feel the tires always had traction. The front tire never skipped out of a rut. Jumping was really smooth but the track was mostly smooth doubles and tabletops. The track had some nice braking bumps that my friends were avoiding by taking weird lines, but I could charge right through them without a kick. I could not do this on the stock suspension.

I did not make any suspension adjustments during this riding day. Even though I could tell the fork was on the stiff side, I was still so happy about how different the suspension felt.

Second Ride:

I still had some concern with how stiff the front fork was. I went 2 clicks softer on fork compression and did a couple of motos. This did not seem to make much difference. After riding, I could see I was not using about 1 ½” of the fork travel. I went 2 more click softer on compression and rode again. This time I could feel the fork starting to soften up, but I still was not using the entire fork travel. I would like to note that the fork never felt harsh, it was just stiff feeling. I was a bit confused because the suspension was working so good but I knew I wasn’t using the fork to its full potential. The shock felt awesome straight out of the box with no adjustments other than sag. It is smooth and predictable and I can always feel the rear tire driving forward with bite.

Third Ride:
I talked to Matt at MX-Tech about my concerns with the fork feeling stiff. He told me to take 20cc of oil out of the fork to gain the rest of the fork travel. I did this and then put the compression clickers back to the stock setting.

All I can say now is WOW!!! The stiffness in the fork is gone and it feels even better. The forks are still very plush but firm in the last bit of stroke. I can see on the fork tube that I am using the entire fork travel but never once have I felt the fork bottom. I can’t believe how good the suspension is. I have never felt so confident in a bike, let alone a PDS KTM with WP suspension. The suspension is doing everything I had hoped for and I can already feel my corner speed improving. Money well spent.

Overall:
I feel I made a great choice with MX-Tech and Matt Hammond. The suspension is perfectly balanced. Post-service communication with MX-Tech has been great and I have always gotten an answer on any of my questions within 24 hours of contacting Matt.
|
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
4/3/2013 12:27pm
Wilke is the man when it comes to KTM setups!
evomx244
4/6/2013 2:31am
MX tech does awesome work on vintage WP shocks also, they have rebuilt several older WP shocks for me and even fix a botched job from another builder.

Post a reply to: MX-Tech Suspension Review KTM 250 SX

The Latest