07 RMZ 450 Timing Question

Goldiewang
Posts
5
Joined
5/26/2015
Location
Pennington Gap, VA, USA
Edited Date/Time 6/29/2015 1:14pm
Hey guys I just finished my top end rebuild and for some reason my timing marks on the cams will not line up perfectly with the top of the head. my top marks are perfect at 15 links as per the service manual. I have even pulled the cams and tried the second TDC as the crank in hopes that the crank gear has uneven amount of teeth hence my timing being off 1/2 a tooth but its still the same. This is with or without the tension installed. I also can turn the motor over several times with the tensioner installed and it doesn't change.I feel my timing is correct but I need a second opinion. Here is a photo to help explain.

|
holverson34
Posts
320
Joined
11/27/2014
Location
Carlton, OR, USA
6/26/2015 8:50pm
Did you replace the timing chain
Paw Paw 271
Posts
3632
Joined
4/3/2013
Location
Benton, LA, USA
6/27/2015 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2015 12:23pm
Worn cam chain or you don't have it at TDC!

Paw Paw
Goldiewang
Posts
5
Joined
5/26/2015
Location
Pennington Gap, VA, USA
6/27/2015 1:17pm
I was afraid you'd say that lol no like a fool I did not replace it. I haven't started it yet but if I had before I had a reply I was going to listen for it specifically. I should be able to do a timing chain install just by removing the stator and one of the cams correct?
6/27/2015 3:26pm
Goldiewang wrote:
I was afraid you'd say that lol no like a fool I did not replace it. I haven't started it yet but if I had before...
I was afraid you'd say that lol no like a fool I did not replace it. I haven't started it yet but if I had before I had a reply I was going to listen for it specifically. I should be able to do a timing chain install just by removing the stator and one of the cams correct?
I could be a wise azz, but how are you going to get it around the crankshaft?
1

The Shop

Goldiewang
Posts
5
Joined
5/26/2015
Location
Pennington Gap, VA, USA
6/27/2015 6:11pm
I'll pull the stator then the flywheel. Should be able to get it on the crank then.
6/27/2015 9:58pm
Take a look at the parts list, pretty sure you need to split the cases, sorry

MX690
Posts
826
Joined
11/13/2009
Location
AU
6/28/2015 1:36am
You don't need to split the casings to put the timing chain on. Just remove your flywheel and there should be a little bracket with one screw in it, it's kinda like a chain guide sort of but also holds the front cam chain guide/runner in place. Simply lower the chain down from the top over the end of the crank, put your little bracket back on and your flywheel back on, reset your timing and you're good to go.
Paw Paw 271
Posts
3632
Joined
4/3/2013
Location
Benton, LA, USA
6/28/2015 6:38am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2015 6:40am
No need to split the cases to replace the cam chain, but your will have to pull both cams as there is not enough room for the cam chain to clear them. No big deal. Also the cam chain tensioner will have to come out.

Paw Paw
Goldiewang
Posts
5
Joined
5/26/2015
Location
Pennington Gap, VA, USA
6/29/2015 1:14pm
Ok thanks guys. Ive found both a Wiseco and a hotcams timing chain. I believe I'll go with wiseco.

Post a reply to: 07 RMZ 450 Timing Question

The Latest