Can't get hold of Eric gorr

Hi everyone I sent a yz250u 1988 top end to Eric mid January for a rebore and port job but can't get hold of him to ask where it is and when should I expect it back from him. I've tried email, no answer I've tried ringing him, goes to voicemail but cannot leave a message as the voicemail is full. Does anyone know if he's okay and still trading? I fear I may have lost my complete cylinder, head and power valve assembly!!
|
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
3/21/2018 6:19am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 6:21am
I sent him an email about a full rebuild of my engine for a 83 YZ125 i'm restoring, no reply.

Then saw on his website a week or so later for a quick response please call/text so i texted thinking he would respond when he had a break in what he was doing.
3 days later I texted again and his response a day later was average rebuild is $750.

I responded with whats your typical turn around and can i just ship the motor or do I need to notify you first. 1.5 days later i texted again asking to follow up and never heard back.

Glad he made my decision to find some where else easy regardless of how many vintage guys seem to use him. I started googling him a bit more and seems he's hit or miss if people are happy with him.

The 1 text I had from him was February 27th of this year.
kruspy378
3/21/2018 1:54pm
How old is Mr.Gorr? He was around during the late 70s n 80s, right? I still think that Invader was a cool concept. And look who is driving... Magoo. Hopefully your cylinder is not lost etc... Hopefully all is good and you get it back no problems etc... Maybe he is not doing well healthwise. I know of alot of older mechanics that got "sick" from all the ill effects of chemicals, oils, fuels like leaded fuels especially, BRAKE CLEANER, the list is endless... They just did things a little different then. Pure speculation, but from experience and observation...
OldPro277
3/21/2018 5:16pm
I've had 4 engines done by Eric in the past 3 years --all ran even better than I hoped. My son-in-law just had a YZ144 top-end done within the last 3 weeks, took 15 days including the shipping. Communication can be sketchy at times,but he's always answered my calls or texts within a day or so. I'm actually calling him tomorrow or Friday about doing my 77 Husqvarna 125 GP motor, If I am able to talk to him I'll mention your concerns about your 88 YZ ,Steve.
3/21/2018 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 7:57pm
I had him do my yz134 and didn't have any issues. I usually tried to call him early in the morning and was able to talk to him most of the time.

The Shop

3/22/2018 1:53am
Thank you all for your positive replies. I managed to speak to Eric last night and confirm that he is well and not taken down by any illness , which was my initial fear. I now have the tracking number for the parcel which has arrived in the uk on the 9th March , held in customs until today 22 March , so I may get my yz250 top end back very shortly.
I have huge respect for Eric , hence my shipping my evo Yam top end over to hin for porting and head mods. As said in an earlier post , Eric must be getting "on" a little nowadays , I know at age 54yrs I struggle with all the social media apps and quite often we put too much emphasis on the written email rather than ringing up and having a good old chat.
Long live the Gorr , Eric Gorr.
3/22/2018 5:35am
I am glad it worked out for the best! Let us know how it performs when you get it back together.
RCN4HIM
3/23/2018 5:46am
1983YZ125 wrote:
I sent him an email about a full rebuild of my engine for a 83 YZ125 i'm restoring, no reply. Then saw on his website a...
I sent him an email about a full rebuild of my engine for a 83 YZ125 i'm restoring, no reply.

Then saw on his website a week or so later for a quick response please call/text so i texted thinking he would respond when he had a break in what he was doing.
3 days later I texted again and his response a day later was average rebuild is $750.

I responded with whats your typical turn around and can i just ship the motor or do I need to notify you first. 1.5 days later i texted again asking to follow up and never heard back.

Glad he made my decision to find some where else easy regardless of how many vintage guys seem to use him. I started googling him a bit more and seems he's hit or miss if people are happy with him.

The 1 text I had from him was February 27th of this year.
It amazes me that people still send him work. Wont even get into the horror stories and broken promises I have experienced with Eric after he would look me in the eye (only live a hr away from him) and promise a dead line, not fulfill and not even respond to weeks of inquiries!

Tom Morgan Racing has been just incredible to work with, former Factory mechanic/engineer with multiple national championships, AMA mechanic of the year more than once, builds sic reliable horsepower, always hits delivery dates promised and treats his customers with respect with a returned phone call or email!!!
OldPro277
3/23/2018 11:38am
RCN4HIM wrote:
It amazes me that people still send him work. Wont even get into the horror stories and broken promises I have experienced with Eric after he...
It amazes me that people still send him work. Wont even get into the horror stories and broken promises I have experienced with Eric after he would look me in the eye (only live a hr away from him) and promise a dead line, not fulfill and not even respond to weeks of inquiries!

Tom Morgan Racing has been just incredible to work with, former Factory mechanic/engineer with multiple national championships, AMA mechanic of the year more than once, builds sic reliable horsepower, always hits delivery dates promised and treats his customers with respect with a returned phone call or email!!!
And I'm telling you that "internet horror stories" aren't a 100% reliable source of this guy or ANY guys ability to perform his job. I have not had one iota of an issue with Eric's work or what he's told me. And as I've stated, I've used him exclusively on 6 different projects the past few years.
As far as your own personal issues with him, have you considered that he just may not like you ??? lol
RCN4HIM
3/23/2018 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2018 1:26pm
RCN4HIM wrote:
It amazes me that people still send him work. Wont even get into the horror stories and broken promises I have experienced with Eric after he...

OldPro277 wrote:
And I'm telling you that "internet horror stories" aren't a 100% reliable source of this guy or ANY guys ability to perform his job. I have...
And I'm telling you that "internet horror stories" aren't a 100% reliable source of this guy or ANY guys ability to perform his job. I have not had one iota of an issue with Eric's work or what he's told me. And as I've stated, I've used him exclusively on 6 different projects the past few years.
As far as your own personal issues with him, have you considered that he just may not like you ??? lol
Lets see... 8 years ago we're new to the sport, sons motor locks up. Someone reccomends Eric Gorr and he's only a hr .away. Drive to Eric's shop, drop off engine, he gaurantees he will have it done in 2 weeks for my sons next race. Couple of days before race I have so far heard nothing, so call with no response to calls or email... Son misses race. Finally get motor back a week later, locks up again in one day, take the motor back (KX 85) and says he'll figure it out and have it ready for our next race... Nothing at all, son misses raced date, he's crying, (10 years old) no calls, drive out to his shop and says he got behind and will get it done... NOTHING FOR 3 WEEKS! Had to buy son another bike & about a month later the motor just shows up shipped on our doorstep!
We changed brands so I sell the motor on ebay as a fresh build and a few weeks later the buyer sends me pictures of the hack work and his local builder says he never seen anything like it?
Been in business for 23 years and would never dream of treating a customer like that.

I do know of some local racers who think Eric is some kind of moto God and others who had the same experience I had... I've moved on and found someone who who treats customers the way I do and builds insane reliable engines... TMR!
OldPro277
3/23/2018 1:48pm
And I have had the exact opposite experience........so I just felt the need to add some positive insight. I will say that I have had a LOT of bad experiences with some of the big name suspension guys and fabricators---- lack of communication is my main bitch, but as a business owner for 30+ years, I'll be honest with you, there are some customers that always will be "slotted" to the back of the pack for one reason or another and any business owner that says "they treat every customer exactly the same" is full of crap. But I digress, its nice you're happy with Tom, and its nice that I'm happy with Eric. Wink
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
3/23/2018 4:06pm
OldPro277 wrote:
And I'm telling you that "internet horror stories" aren't a 100% reliable source of this guy or ANY guys ability to perform his job. I have...
But when you read dozens of "internet horror stories" there has to be some truth....
OldPro277
3/23/2018 7:35pm
I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones, but I have had zero complaints and since I've never experienced any of these issues nor have any of the 4 or 5 other guys I know that have used his services,it just bugs me to see someone getting bashed(anonymously I may add) that has gone over and above in every instance I've been involved with. In fact, Eric just texted me tonight about a squish adjustment question I had earlier this evening. All that being said, every project I've used him was on vintage bikes (late 70's-80's) other than 2 modern YZ144 engines,maybe he likes the Vintage stuff better ?? I know I have no qualms sending him my next project engine next week .
omalley
3/23/2018 9:38pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2018 9:39pm
RCN4HIM wrote:

OldPro277 wrote:
A lot of truth to this. I know of a transmission shop that bends over backwards for customers. On one occasion when my truck wasn’t done on time, the owner even loaned me his personal truck to get somewhere as a first time customer. Yet when you look online, there are reviews from a gal who blasts them as frauds, etc. the real story is that she failed to follow any advice the shop gave her, and refused to allow them to fix an issue after she complained about it, then she took it to another shop who conned her into a ton of work she didn’t need. When she tried to get the first shop to pay for the second shop’s work and they refused, she went on an Internet tirade blasting the shop, the owners, and their integrity for problems that were no one’s fault but hers.
Not to say that the reports of EG couldn’t be true, but I’ve also found that personal accountability is zero these days and folks love to bash companies online.
nicko-31
3/24/2018 10:05am
My personal experience with Eric goes back to TUF Racing day's when he did my KX for me. He did a great job on that bike, it flew. He also did some stand up Kawasaki Jet -Ski's for me. Also very pleased with his work. Eric isn't any kind of god to me just does good work that's all. He's been hard to reach some times but has always accomplished what he said he would. He's done my 85 125 YZ and newer YZ also. Pleased with the outcome. If you're not pleased with his work then you should go else where. I'm pleased with his work and have no reason to look elsewhere. Just saying.
3/27/2018 9:38am
Hello all , I would like to inform everyone , that my cylinder and head for my YZ250U 1988 was returned to me today. Seems it was posted by Eric on the 6th MARCH , has been sat in the UK customs department since the 9th March. I had to pay approx $60 import duty before they would release the package to me , which I did gladly.
I must comment , that the port work on the intake is a work of art , the reworked squish area on the head is also impeccable. Gaskets and a +1mm piston kit included , which for $420 including shipping is a good deal in my opinion. As soon as I put the bike back together I'll post on how she runs with the Vintage porting option I chose ( My original barrel had no Boysesen ports in the intake tract). So I am happy to recommend anyone who wants some porting work done on an Evo Yamaha , based on the work Eric Gorr has done for me. Eric Gorr is alive and kicking !!
kruspy378
3/27/2018 2:58pm
Hello all , I would like to inform everyone , that my cylinder and head for my YZ250U 1988 was returned to me today. Seems it...
Hello all , I would like to inform everyone , that my cylinder and head for my YZ250U 1988 was returned to me today. Seems it was posted by Eric on the 6th MARCH , has been sat in the UK customs department since the 9th March. I had to pay approx $60 import duty before they would release the package to me , which I did gladly.
I must comment , that the port work on the intake is a work of art , the reworked squish area on the head is also impeccable. Gaskets and a +1mm piston kit included , which for $420 including shipping is a good deal in my opinion. As soon as I put the bike back together I'll post on how she runs with the Vintage porting option I chose ( My original barrel had no Boysesen ports in the intake tract). So I am happy to recommend anyone who wants some porting work done on an Evo Yamaha , based on the work Eric Gorr has done for me. Eric Gorr is alive and kicking !!
Very glad to hear that you got it back. Seems like anything coming and going, to and from USA is taking a very long time. I ordered fork springs for my 81 RM, from Finland, and that was early March. Still no package... I live in USA, my cousin in Germany, and it seems to take forever also... Let us know how it does. I would not mind sending out my spare 81 RM cylinder and head to Eric and have him do em up.

Post a reply to: Can't get hold of Eric gorr

The Latest