Rattlesnake Ridge Slide- Union Gap, WA

Related:
Create New Tag

1/2/2018 5:54 PM

When is it gonna go? Personally, I will avoid I-82 through Union Gap for awhile.

Map
|

1/2/2018 6:34 PM

Wow, that's gnarly. Someone needs to set up some cameras.
Wonder if they will bomb it like avalanche paths?

|

1/2/2018 6:58 PM

How many cubic yards have they guessed will slide off?
Sketch...

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

1/2/2018 7:02 PM

What a mess

|

1/2/2018 7:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2018 7:13 PM

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

How many cubic yards have they guessed will slide off?
Sketch...

I have no idea. Here is a local news article, http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/local/officials-say-rattlesnake-ridge-crack-more-pronounced-because-of-snow/article_b4a26486-ea94-11e7-b3d2-57bb3400bb0a.html

http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/local/growing-cracks-in-rattlesnake-ridge-raise-alarm/article_f4bb2b68-e740-11e7-ad73-5b7168e0bf12.html
"Since monitoring began, the movement of an estimated 4 million cubic yards of land has sped up, increasing the immediacy of a landslide of any magnitude, said George Machan, a senior associate geotechnical engineer with Cornforth Consultants, a Portland-based firm hired by the quarry to monitor the crack.

The largest fissure is now estimated to be some 250 feet deep. . ."

|

1/2/2018 7:27 PM

Where'd all your trees go?

|

1/2/2018 7:30 PM

When I read your comment I immediately knew you were a Michigander....lol

|

1/2/2018 7:33 PM

That's crazy shit! The last dozen or so times I've went through Yakivegas I've went on 97, can't remember the last time I went through there on 82. Hopefully they don't have anything comparable to the Oso slide when it comes to casualties.

I suppose that they could try bringing some of the armor down a few miles from the firing range, but that shouldn't be enough to do much. If they get some heavy moisture, I'd definitely be worried.

|

1/2/2018 8:09 PM

I am no geologist but I think a few freeze thaw cycles would be bad news also.
The other day I went hiking with Tater it was 45 degrees out here and the mud seemed bottomless like in the springtime.

|

1/2/2018 9:03 PM

Here is one from from 2009 not that far away http://www.historylink.org/File/9224

|

1/2/2018 10:39 PM

Hut wrote:

Here is one from from 2009 not that far away http://www.historylink.org/File/9224

I remember when that one happened but had forgotten how large it was.

Looks like this one is going to slide, just wonder how much damage to I82 and how long it'll be closed!

|

1/3/2018 1:41 PM

So that big ass gravel pit/quarry operation probably has not had any effect on that hillside, huh?

Photo

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

1/3/2018 1:51 PM

The reports today say that it is shifting south towards the quarry. There are a few news stories from a couple of years back talking about concerns with the quarry and it's potential impact on the mountain shifting, but that geologists couldn't say definitively if it would cause anything major.

I think they may be changing their minds right about now.......

|

1/3/2018 2:37 PM

Well at this point it seems like the WA Highway Department should have big warning/stop lights before that section of highway under that hillside, on the north and south sides of the hillside. The warning lights could be triggered by the seismic activity of that hillside letting go. The warning/stop lights could be solar powered.

|

1/3/2018 2:42 PM

A friend of ours has family that lost their home in the Niles slide. She said they were given time to gather most important items then evacuate. The slide came right after they evacuated.

|

1/3/2018 3:05 PM

Reese95w wrote:

Well at this point it seems like the WA Highway Department should have big warning/stop lights before that section of highway under that hillside, on the north and south sides of the hillside. The warning lights could be triggered by the seismic activity of that hillside letting go. The warning/stop lights could be solar powered.

I'd guess that they've got actual vehicles in place to block the road, and probably have the flashing yellow caution signs already in place.

They have closed Thorpe Rd, the smaller road just up the hill from I82. Just read this crazy thing they are doing to hope slow things down a bit if it comes down in smaller pieces I guess.......

http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/local/state-officials-launch-new-plan-to-protect-i--near/article_0bdfbf74-f0ca-11e7-b075-f3ab8009513b.html

Photo

|

1/3/2018 3:21 PM

Shipping containers filled with concrete barriers won't do shit if that entire hillside goes at once. I supposes they might help for a small slide.

|

1/18/2018 4:25 PM

On one of the Seattle news programs last night they were saying that geologists are predicting this hill will go some time between Mid Feb to early March.

|