College Football Playoffs

Related:
Create New Tag

1/1/2018 7:49 PM

Holy smokes the dawgs did it. What a game the rose bowl was. I’m not sure what my expectations were, but that game blew past them. I can’t believe UGA has done it!

|

1/1/2018 9:01 PM

Yea, that was a helluva game. It did not look good when we were down 17 points and OU was playing lights out. The Sooners are a great team. Those 4 UGA seniors who chose to come back this year instead of entering the NFL draft......

|

1/1/2018 9:28 PM

So the only undefeated team left in D1 FBS has defeated Auburn, who is the only team to defeat both participants in the NCG, which are from the same conference. What a joke. I won’t be watching the NCG.

|

1/2/2018 12:32 AM

UCF beating Auburn makes the system look bad but strength of schedule is a big factor. Had they beat Auburn prior to selections it would have been different but who knew?
Watching Alabama play tonight makes the committee look a little better. They deserve to be there imho

|

1/2/2018 7:11 AM

Hut wrote:

UCF beating Auburn makes the system look bad but strength of schedule is a big factor. Had they beat Auburn prior to selections it would have been different but who knew?
Watching Alabama play tonight makes the committee look a little better. They deserve to be there imho

Agree they are one of the best teams especially after what they did to my Tigers but I still have a problem not winning your division and getting in

|

1/2/2018 7:24 AM

I'm not a fan of Georgia or Oklahoma, but took great satisfaction watching that smirk slide off of Baker Mayfield's smug face.

|

1/2/2018 9:21 AM

Hut wrote:

UCF beating Auburn makes the system look bad but strength of schedule is a big factor. Had they beat Auburn prior to selections it would have been different but who knew?
Watching Alabama play tonight makes the committee look a little better. They deserve to be there imho

Well are we just putting in the team we think is best and ignoring resume and record? Because if that’s the case then just put Bama in the top four every season no matter what their record is. Bama schedules cup cakes or a bye before every semi-tough conference game. No way should a team not winning their conference, let alone not playing in their CCG, be in the final four when the field is 128.

|

1/2/2018 9:55 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

Well are we just putting in the team we think is best and ignoring resume and record? Because if that’s the case then just put Bama in the top four every season no matter what their record is. Bama schedules cup cakes or a bye before every semi-tough conference game. No way should a team not winning their conference, let alone not playing in their CCG, be in the final four when the field is 128.

I'd like to see them add some teams to the playoff but UCF schedule was probably too weak to get high enough in the rankings to make it in regardless. They definitely earned respect this season though.
Too bad there isn't a way to eliminate the human factor but until Nick Saban retires it will probably always be Nick Saban's team and 3 other teams in playoffs. laughing

Just my opinion, doesn't mean much....

|

1/2/2018 10:30 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

So the only undefeated team left in D1 FBS has defeated Auburn, who is the only team to defeat both participants in the NCG, which are from the same conference. What a joke. I won’t be watching the NCG.

I'm not really a fan of the "strength of schedule" deal, unless a team actually loses or vastly underperforms with a "weaker" schedule. I think UCF is a very good football team right now, but it is always tough to play the "common opponents" game because teams have different matchup issues, personnel changes due to injuries, motivations can be changed, etc.

I definitely think that Auburn took their bowl game against UCF a bit lightly and that they probably felt deflated after losing their conference championship. Frost sticking around for the bowl game was also probably a huge motivational lift for his team as well.

Boise State suffered some of the same prejudices of their schedule for many years, and it always seemed to make it sweeter when they knocked off one of the "top tier" teams, but they still never received as much recognition.

I'm amazed at what Frost did with that UCF program. Going undefeated at any school is such a huge accomplishment. I'd guess that we'll be seeing Nebraska back to national prominence in under 5 years......

|

1/2/2018 11:48 AM

You have to put the four best teams in regardless of if they are conference champions or not. That's the whole point of the selection committee because records, divisions, SoS, conference champion only tell a part of the quality of the teams.The SEC has a murders row of teams that face each other. It's quite conceivable that you could have a 2 loss SEC champion.

I think so far the selection committee has gotten it right every year so far. The four best teams are in. Every team had a chance to make their case and they all had untimely losses towards the end of the year that changed the outcome as far as selection committee was concerned.

I think they got it right again this year and put the four BEST teams in.

|

1/2/2018 12:19 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

So the only undefeated team left in D1 FBS has defeated Auburn, who is the only team to defeat both participants in the NCG, which are from the same conference. What a joke. I won’t be watching the NCG.

Aub just got hot at the right time of the year. I think it's great UCF went 13-0 and even beat Aub, but you can't argue their schedule had some real strength to it.

|

1/2/2018 12:24 PM

Let's see UCF survive a season in the SEC undefeated.

|

1/2/2018 12:35 PM

Firefly47 wrote:

Let's see UCF survive a season in the SEC undefeated.

or the ACC

|

1/2/2018 1:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2018 1:21 PM

The problem is pre-season rankings.

They need to get rid of that until they come out with the playoff rankings in
late October. It doesn't really give a fair chance to a lot of teams out there.
Especially when you have a team from a Power 5 conference that has 2
losses going into the rankings and still comes out in the top 10

Great Rose Bowl game by the way.....

|

Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the
reason that I have trust issues

1/2/2018 3:54 PM

Firefly47 wrote:

I'm not a fan of Georgia or Oklahoma, but took great satisfaction watching that smirk slide off of Baker Mayfield's smug face.

When your Heisman winner QB can't score a TD in OT you're gonna have problems....
That was a great Rose Bowl game to watch but what a huge choke job in the second half for the Sooners.

|

1/2/2018 5:31 PM

Mayfield makes for a pretty decent anti-hero, that's for sure. He seems to be a walking contradiction. He looks and acts like the ultimate competitor, but he got butthurt at Texas Tech because the coaches said that the starting QB position was up for competition. He looks like a great leader on the field, but then he has those moments of acting like a 13yo.

What he has accomplished is impressive. I just hope that he loses that little bit of Manzielness that comes out now and again, because if he does I could see him having a pretty good NFL career ahead of him. Sometimes it sure seems like he's got that "it" factor that reminds you of Russell Wilson. Sometimes he seems a little bit like a Ryan Leaf.......

|

1/2/2018 7:23 PM

APLMAN99 wrote:

Mayfield makes for a pretty decent anti-hero, that's for sure. He seems to be a walking contradiction. He looks and acts like the ultimate competitor, but he got butthurt at Texas Tech because the coaches said that the starting QB position was up for competition. He looks like a great leader on the field, but then he has those moments of acting like a 13yo.

What he has accomplished is impressive. I just hope that he loses that little bit of Manzielness that comes out now and again, because if he does I could see him having a pretty good NFL career ahead of him. Sometimes it sure seems like he's got that "it" factor that reminds you of Russell Wilson. Sometimes he seems a little bit like a Ryan Leaf.......

All very true. I’m a UGA fan but do enjoy the spectacle that antics like his add to competition. He best hope not to be drafted by the Browns and add to this list of their QB’s:

(*) = number of games started
2017 DeShone Kizer (14) / Kevin Hogan (1)
2016 Robert Griffin III (5) / Josh McCown (3) / Cody Kessler (8)
2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)
2014 Brian Hoyer (13) / Johnny Manziel (2) / Connor Shaw (1)
2013 Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)
2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)
2011 Colt McCoy (13) / Seneca Wallace (3)
2010 Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4)
2009 Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)
2008 Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)
2007 Derek Anderson (15) / Charlie Frye (1)
2006 Charlie Frye (13) / Derek Anderson (3)
2005 Trent Dilfer (11) / Charlie Frye (5)
2004 Jeff Garcia (10) / Kelly Holcomb (2) / Luke McCown (4)
2003 Kelly Holcomb (8) / Tim Couch (8)
2002 Tim Couch (14) / Kelly Holcomb (2)
2001 Tim Couch (16)
2000 Doug Pederson (8) / Tim Couch (7) / Spergon Wynn (1)
1999 Tim Couch (14) / Ty Detmer (2)
1996–1998 Suspended operations
1995 Vinny Testaverde (12) / Eric Zeier (4)
1994 Vinny Testaverde (13) / Mark Rypien (3)

|

1/2/2018 9:45 PM

TXDirt wrote:

You have to put the four best teams in regardless of if they are conference champions or not. That's the whole point of the selection committee because records, divisions, SoS, conference champion only tell a part of the quality of the teams.The SEC has a murders row of teams that face each other. It's quite conceivable that you could have a 2 loss SEC champion.

I think so far the selection committee has gotten it right every year so far. The four best teams are in. Every team had a chance to make their case and they all had untimely losses towards the end of the year that changed the outcome as far as selection committee was concerned.

I think they got it right again this year and put the four BEST teams in.

I disagree. You put the four most deserving in. Not the best. In college football, there’s 130ish teams. You’re playing in the playoffs from day one. OSU vs OU to open the season the past two years was a playoff game and both of them knew it. The loss kept each of them out both years.

Now that we have established that the entire college football season is a playoff, we can compare it to the actual NFL playoffs.

The New England Patriots are the best team in the league nearly every season. Without question top four each time. But there are rare occasions they lose before the final four. But they’re still a top four team without question. It wouldn’t make sense to say, “Well they did lose at a crucial time in a crucial game, but I think they’re still a top team so put them in there”.

The same should be applied in college football. If all we are doing is putting the best four in then why even play the games? We know Bama is a top four team each season before we play so just go ahead and put them in there each season.

|

1/2/2018 9:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2018 9:50 PM

Here is my idea. Tell me what you think.

8 team playoff.

Top spots go to the top 8 conference champions ranked in the top 15.

In the event there aren’t 8 conference champions in the top 15, which is 99.99% of the time, the remaining slots are filled out by the top ranked teams who didn’t win their conference. With one stipulation. Only 1 wild card team per conference.

The higher seed hosts the first round following the Army/Navy game. Then the final four is done how it’s done now. The losers of the first round go into the other high profile bowl games for their final game.

This year’s schedule would have looked something like this:

(8) Wisconsin @ (1) Clemson

(5) USC @ (4) Ohio State

(7) Alabama @ (2) Oklahoma

(6) UCF @ (3) Georgia

Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl still hold the semi-finals and the losers of the first round go into other NY6 games against each other.

What does this solve?

First, it puts an emphasis on winning your conference. That’s your ticket in if you’re a top team. Do that and you don’t worry about anything else.

Second, it prevents major upsets in the CCG from putting an unranked team in the playoff. Doubt they’d crack the top 15 after being unranked, regardless of the win. We don’t want 4 loss teams still having a chance.

Third, it gives the little guys a chance to do something. Take care of business and you’ll surely be in the top 15 come the end of the year. You might have to go on the road in round one, but it’s better than no chance at all.

Fourth, it keeps the importance of being a top four team because you get to host the first round.

Fifth, it still allows for a team to get in if they don’t win their conference. There’s a chance the best team in the nation falters at the worst time. Now they’re still in. But they’ll be going on the road to prove themselves in round one.

Sixth, it prevents 3 slots being taken up by one conference. Yes sometimes the 3 best teams might be from the same conference, but you had a chance to win your conference or be the best team not to and you didn’t do it. Can’t be mad about that.

Nobody can say they didn’t have a chance. Lose your conference? Better still be a top team. Not a top team? Win your conference. Don’t do either? Tough shit. Better luck next year.

|

1/3/2018 6:36 AM

Top team in each conference goes to the playoffs, with 2 wild cards!

|

1/3/2018 7:29 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Top team in each conference goes to the playoffs, with 2 wild cards!

12 team playoff means four teams get a bye. I’d rather keep it even. 8 or 16.

|

1/3/2018 7:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2018 7:50 AM

I'm not against an 8 team playoff, but that will significantly diminish the regular season, where EVERY game is already a playoff. That's one of the unique and best things about college football. You risk losing that. And for what? For an 8 team playoff? Just not sure that's worth it.

And when you say "deserves to be in" that is completely subjective. Not all conferences are equal. Just look at the meat grinder that is the SEC compared to other conferences.

I want the best teams in. Really don't care if they won their conference or not. It's certainly one of the measurements we can use, but should not be the only and primary one.

You can't compare the NFL and college football because teams have salary cap rules they must abide by, etc. It's just different so to say the playoffs should be done like the NFL is wrong. Look at the regular season in the NFL. It's mostly meaningless until you get towards the end. If anything, the NFL should scrap the divisions and just go with best records get in.

They are already considering doing that with NBA basketball because often times you can have a team with a .500 record get in while another team with a much better record sits on the side lines. So when you talk about most deserving, then who deserves a shot more? A team in a weak conference but wins their division or a team with a better record?

|

1/3/2018 7:56 AM

IMO 2 or more of the best teams can be in the same conference. It will never be perfect but I think it’s pretty good now.

|

1/3/2018 7:58 AM

I would like to see 8 teams and have the top non power 5 in it but it would water down the regular season. If it went to 8 teams they would have to do the first rounds at the top seeds home stadium. I just don't see how fans can afford to crisscross the country three different times.

|

1/3/2018 10:41 AM

I would rather scrap the whole playoff system and just go back to a poll championship than expand the playoff pool.

If you stretch it to 8 conference champions, the 9th conference champion is going to complain and have the same strength of argument as a conference champion being left out right now would.

Any given year you could probably leave out a team that is playing far better than they were at the beginning of the year and could make a run through a tournament type championship. There's no reasonable way to avoid that.

|

1/3/2018 11:10 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Top team in each conference goes to the playoffs, with 2 wild cards!

TDeath21 wrote:

12 team playoff means four teams get a bye. I’d rather keep it even. 8 or 16.

Make it the top 2 in each conference. I’m for a bigger playoff with no buy weeks

|

1/4/2018 10:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/4/2018 10:01 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Top team in each conference goes to the playoffs, with 2 wild cards!

TDeath21 wrote:

12 team playoff means four teams get a bye. I’d rather keep it even. 8 or 16.

kkawboy14 wrote:

Make it the top 2 in each conference. I’m for a bigger playoff with no buy weeks

So you want a 20 team playoff? 10 conferences. Top 2 in each conference. And what to do with independents?

|

1/4/2018 10:03 AM

TXDirt wrote:

I'm not against an 8 team playoff, but that will significantly diminish the regular season, where EVERY game is already a playoff. That's one of the unique and best things about college football. You risk losing that. And for what? For an 8 team playoff? Just not sure that's worth it.

And when you say "deserves to be in" that is completely subjective. Not all conferences are equal. Just look at the meat grinder that is the SEC compared to other conferences.

I want the best teams in. Really don't care if they won their conference or not. It's certainly one of the measurements we can use, but should not be the only and primary one.

You can't compare the NFL and college football because teams have salary cap rules they must abide by, etc. It's just different so to say the playoffs should be done like the NFL is wrong. Look at the regular season in the NFL. It's mostly meaningless until you get towards the end. If anything, the NFL should scrap the divisions and just go with best records get in.

They are already considering doing that with NBA basketball because often times you can have a team with a .500 record get in while another team with a much better record sits on the side lines. So when you talk about most deserving, then who deserves a shot more? A team in a weak conference but wins their division or a team with a better record?

Actually the SEC isn’t a meat grinder compared to others. The B1G is though. The perception of the SEC being the best is a notion that is false and hasn’t been true for awhile.

The NFL/CFB comparison was just simply the fact that the regular season is the first round of the playoffs for CFB, not the players and salary cap.

|

1/4/2018 11:47 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

Actually the SEC isn’t a meat grinder compared to others. The B1G is though. The perception of the SEC being the best is a notion that is false and hasn’t been true for awhile.

The NFL/CFB comparison was just simply the fact that the regular season is the first round of the playoffs for CFB, not the players and salary cap.

Serious question: Which team(s) got left out that angered you so? In your ranking system, who would have been the four teams in the playoff?

|

1/4/2018 11:50 AM

DoctorJD wrote:

Serious question: Which team(s) got left out that angered you so? In your ranking system, who would have been the four teams in the playoff?

I think this year was the person year that the argument could be made that another four teams could have got in. Ohio State, UCF, USC, Auburn all could have made an argument.

In the end though does it really matter? Alabama is just so damn good that yes they may lose every once in a while (GO Clemson Tigers!!) but in the end they will win 90% of the time.

|