Aussies/NFL

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
3/4/2015 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 6:26pm
Is this as big a deal down there as the papers here are reporting? Just curious.

Jarryd Hayne
|
ocscottie
3/4/2015 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 1:32pm
I was gonna post about this the other day and got sidetracked, saw it on SportsCenter, kinda cool.

btw: the highlights they showed, dude can run like Gump!
hvaughn88
3/4/2015 1:33pm
ocscottie wrote:
I was gonna post about this the other day and got sidetracked, saw it on SportsCenter, kinda cool. btw: the highlights they showed, dude can run...
I was gonna post about this the other day and got sidetracked, saw it on SportsCenter, kinda cool.

btw: the highlights they showed, dude can run like Gump!
he looks like an absolute beast. I didn't post it either because I remember how ugly the nfl/rugby thread went a while back, haha
Sully
3/4/2015 4:02pm
San Diego had a punter back in the '90s named Darren Bennett, who started as an Aussie Rules player. The guy used to lay people out when they'd make it passed the Chargers' line.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
3/4/2015 4:17pm
he was a very good rugby league player, one of the very best, it was huge news here and australia when he left to go chase his dream in the NFL, (NZ have a team in the Australian competition, same as with Soccer and basketball as well)

really it will be interesting to see how he goes, there has been rumours of top rugby union and rugby league players being approached by NFL teams in teh past, but this is the first time one of the stars has gone, (there was a Counties Rugby player of afircan origin that was in the Colts training squad a few years ago, but he never played as far as i know, and it was not big news here as he was not an interenational player)

its a massivly different game, and i think its the same as the MXers trying to go to nascar, its very hard to try an compete with people who have played the sport for thier whole lives

The Shop

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
3/5/2015 2:09pm
It's unusual (except for kickers), but the Niners have a history of reaching to guys gifted in other sports. Renaldo Nehemiah was an early example, but they picked up that discus thrower from England as a potential defensive lineman (developing him on the practice squad), so we'll see how it goes. I think they are hoping a really elite gifted athlete will be able to cross that giftedness over to a new sport.
mx757
3/5/2015 6:26pm
I have a buddy here that played for a pro rugby team in aussie land a while back, that came to the US, enrolled in the local college (that went on to win the D2 national title last season) and came to learn to play football. He had some issues getting the NCAA to clear him though because he was a former pro athlete. He is still trying to get to the pro football ranks.

Post a reply to: Aussies/NFL

The Latest