Auschwitz Bookkeeper

IWreckALot
Edited Date/Time 7/3/2015 8:54am
http://news.yahoo.com/bookkeeper-auschwitz-survivor-testify-trial-nears…

I can't figure out why I'm on the fence about pursuing this guy. He was clearly engaged in, what I'd call, the most evil period in human history. And I'm not directly affected by the Holocaust in any way so it's tough for me to relate too closely to it. He's lived his life, post Holocaust, without any real problems and at 94 years old, what kind of justice is it going to be to just lock him up until he dies which is right around the corner. . . I'd be more willing to hang him up if his role was pushing jews in the gas chambers or some other torture related crime. But his role was handling paperwork. It's an accessory crime in my mind and it seems like the statute of limitations should apply in this case.

I do wonder what his position would have been if they had asked to help him with the "extermination" process.
|
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
7/1/2015 1:31pm
Fuck him. Hang him by his wrinkled nuts like they should have 65 years ago. He got a 65 year gift that 300,000 others didn't. He stopped short of asking forgiveness because he knew he didn't deserve it. Book keeper, that is a big part. He counted people. I bet they won't find a one page with DNA from his tears on it.
mattmatt300
7/1/2015 1:38pm
Yeah I vote F that guy. He took part in exterminating people. That's unforgivable.
TailSoHard
7/1/2015 2:25pm
His sentence is only 15 years?? That seems a little light...

scooter5002
7/1/2015 4:00pm
As someone who was following orders, right or wrong, that was his duty. Argue otherwise all you want, but had he not done as ordered, his fate for failing to do as required, may have made the gas chamber seem like a merciful end. Any one ELSE recall how people were hung with piano wire, for traitorous activities? The bar for traitor wasn't exactly set really high, either. Christ, Hitler gave Rommel the choice of suicide, or a public trial, and a painful death for his entire family, for his alleged role in the bunker bombing. Do I need to explain who Rommel was, and his significant contributions to the German war effort?

It's only been in the last couple of years, that my father has spoken of what he witnessed as a young boy in those times. Not pretty, and something no child should ever have to witness. One year to young to be inducted into the Hitler Youth, by wars end. "Happy Birthday son, here's a PanzerFaust. Go take out that Sherman. Heil Hitler!" Easy to sit in judgement, 70 years after the end of the war.

The Shop

Uncle Tony
7/1/2015 4:11pm
just a sad time in history, wish it would all go away
BigAl
7/1/2015 4:34pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
The sooner it is forgotten the sooner it will happen again
Uncle Tony
7/1/2015 4:48pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
BigAl wrote:
The sooner it is forgotten the sooner it will happen again
True but let's not forget Yugoslavia, but that doesn't matter
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
7/1/2015 5:55pm
I spent a day at Auschwitz a couple years ago..a very sobering and life impacting experience..

IWreckALot
7/2/2015 5:35am
As someone who was following orders, right or wrong, that was his duty. Argue otherwise all you want, but had he not done as ordered, his...
As someone who was following orders, right or wrong, that was his duty. Argue otherwise all you want, but had he not done as ordered, his fate for failing to do as required, may have made the gas chamber seem like a merciful end. Any one ELSE recall how people were hung with piano wire, for traitorous activities? The bar for traitor wasn't exactly set really high, either. Christ, Hitler gave Rommel the choice of suicide, or a public trial, and a painful death for his entire family, for his alleged role in the bunker bombing. Do I need to explain who Rommel was, and his significant contributions to the German war effort?

It's only been in the last couple of years, that my father has spoken of what he witnessed as a young boy in those times. Not pretty, and something no child should ever have to witness. One year to young to be inducted into the Hitler Youth, by wars end. "Happy Birthday son, here's a PanzerFaust. Go take out that Sherman. Heil Hitler!" Easy to sit in judgement, 70 years after the end of the war.
This is a bit of my hesitation also.

I've done quite a bit of research on the Holocaust and visited a museum we have in Dallas. It's such a sobering experience. Dr. Mengele is the guy I wish we would have captured before he died. . . That guy is quite possibly more evil than Hitler. Pure evil doesn't even scratch the surface of what that guy did. Some of the experiments he performed were just inexplicable. Makes you wonder how he slept at night without having nightmares.

What's odd is that we got many medical advances from some of the experiments they performed in Auschwitz. Unfortunately, we were unable to find most of his research journals.
IWreckALot
7/2/2015 5:45am
As someone who was following orders, right or wrong, that was his duty. Argue otherwise all you want, but had he not done as ordered, his...

I just read up on Rommel. . . I don't think I ever looked into him before. That's a crazy story.
S.Loyer
7/2/2015 3:33pm
Dude was just doing his job at the end of the day...... Wrong, yeah but it was his job.
Sidewinder
7/2/2015 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2015 9:38pm
If you're gonna hang ANYBODY with fucking piano wire...
Sidewinder
7/3/2015 5:08am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2015 5:19am
One of the great joys of Zen Buddhism: not giving a damn about media-driven gay liberal PC bullshit.
Barrett57
7/3/2015 7:58am
At 93 years of age, the ship has sailed on punishing him. He'd do far more good by continuing to tell people about what he saw.
Uncle Tony
7/3/2015 8:54am
Barrett57 wrote:
At 93 years of age, the ship has sailed on punishing him. He'd do far more good by continuing to tell people about what he saw.
I'm with you on this

Post a reply to: Auschwitz Bookkeeper

The Latest