Workbench Ideas

Rickyisms
Edited Date/Time 11/1/2020 1:40pm
Just moved to a new place that came with a regular old wooden bench already built. It's about 6 foot long and 2 feet deep. I moved my benchtop 30" snapon box on one side already and was thinking of building a sink that drains to a waste bucket underneath for when I do suspension work and such, also going to mount a swivel vise on one end as well. Any other good ideas as far as things to keep on the bench and/or organization tips?
|
Paw Paw
10/29/2020 6:59am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2020 7:00am
Electric power strip for hand tools.
Extra lighting over work bench.
Compressed air outlet on bench.

Paw Paw
ga_pike
10/29/2020 7:10am
I wouldn't cut into the bench for a sink as you lose workbench area. If possible, maybe have a sink area on the side opposite of your toolbox? See if you can find some half depth storage that fits under the bench. You will want space for your feet underneath but additional storage against the wall eliminates wasted space. I have 2 rolling toolboxes under my main bench that work great and I can pull them out easy when necessary. I also like to have a thin rubber pad on my bench to protect the workbench itself and an anti-fatigue mat to stand on.
Rickyisms
10/29/2020 7:31am
ga_pike wrote:
I wouldn't cut into the bench for a sink as you lose workbench area. If possible, maybe have a sink area on the side opposite of...
I wouldn't cut into the bench for a sink as you lose workbench area. If possible, maybe have a sink area on the side opposite of your toolbox? See if you can find some half depth storage that fits under the bench. You will want space for your feet underneath but additional storage against the wall eliminates wasted space. I have 2 rolling toolboxes under my main bench that work great and I can pull them out easy when necessary. I also like to have a thin rubber pad on my bench to protect the workbench itself and an anti-fatigue mat to stand on.
Might have a sink setup on the side. Good idea. Was thinking of finding some cheap filing cabinets for storage under the bench.
ktm300xcw2018
Fantasy
462nd
10/29/2020 2:10pm
ga_pike wrote:
I wouldn't cut into the bench for a sink as you lose workbench area. If possible, maybe have a sink area on the side opposite of...
Rickyisms wrote:
Might have a sink setup on the side. Good idea. Was thinking of finding some cheap filing cabinets for storage under the bench.
You could potentially do an "undermount" sink. You could have a piece of plywood/the cut piece of bench to cover the sink cutout when you're not using the sink for suspension.

The Shop

MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
10/29/2020 2:19pm
I had 2 benches before we just moved. One stainless cooler from a restaurant and 1 door + filing cabinets for the other.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/29/2020 2:35pm
ga_pike wrote:
Rickyisms wrote:
Set them back or raise them a few inches off the floor so you can stand closer to the workbench. That extra few inches that your feet will hold you back is annoying sometimes.
big.dos
10/29/2020 2:38pm
A small fan on the wall or on the bench is always nice. A power board with regular plugs and USB ports is a good addition also.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
11/1/2020 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2020 1:40pm
I’m planning to build the lower bench with a parts washer cut into the top like a sink, and power and air reel mounted underneath. Air compressor and trash can sit under the bench. Plenty of room for extra tires and stands too. My vise is on my tool box bench.
I put the outlets in The walls myself so I put one box above the bench top for tools and one box below to power everything else.

I did it this way so if I move I can simply unplug and move everything in one unit.
dmm698
11/1/2020 3:24pm
I put an old junk sink I got from FB marketplace for 10$ in my bench, same end as the vice. Nice for forks and shocks and just spraying shiz off without having to clean it up after.

Post a reply to: Workbench Ideas

The Latest