WMA

Related:
Create New Tag

7/29/2008 8:28 AM

Washougal was my first chance to see a WMA race in person and I am extremely impressed. I've always heard people refer to their speed as B class at best, and those people are wrong. The girls at the front ran lap times that were equal to the guys who were in the Lites Consolation that didn't qualify to race on Sunday.

The other thing I want to say is that Jessica Patterson deserves a lot more respect that she gets. She is just as fast as Ashley and clearly doesn't want to give away her #1 plate. After seeing the crowd cheer when she went down while leading the first moto, I was pumped to see her take the second moto and the overall.

|

7/29/2008 8:44 AM

I think its her attitude more than her ability that makes people boo her.

|

"fortunately I keep my feathers numbered.....for just such an occasion"

7/29/2008 9:09 AM

Do people actually boo JP? That's ridiculous.

|

7/29/2008 9:44 AM

catatonic wrote:

I think its her attitude more than her ability that makes people boo her.

bingo... im all for the WMA series its great that the women are finally getting the attention they deserve and the racing is really good... also JP$ has won the championship for so long that folks are excited that Ashley is making her actually work for it this year. GO ASHLEY!!!! but seriously JP is a great rider but yes after her tyrate last year and her boyfriends protests this year, im less of a fan....

|

02 PW80 8) #N8 [LINK TO IMAGE]

7/29/2008 9:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2016 7:49 PM

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

|

7/29/2008 9:57 AM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

well when you compare the attention they got back in the day of mercedez gonzales to now its quite a bit of difference! now i may be a little lopsided in my opinion in that my daughter races so any exposure to the WMA is good exposure... yes they may not be as fast but the competition is good and sometimes better than in the AMA becuz they are more closely matched... no 30 second leads there so get off your high horse and just enjoy more racing!

|

02 PW80 8) #N8 [LINK TO IMAGE]

7/29/2008 10:38 AM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

I would like to see you hang with the top five WMA riders!

Go look at Tania Satchwell #105's profile on WMA...she throws down a pretty good whip!

|

""The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is to high and we miss it, but that our aim is to low and we reach it"

7/29/2008 10:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/29/2008 10:45 AM

I tried to talk with JP one time at Cycleranch just after the riders meeting; she acted like she was too good to even look at me much less speak back to me. Acted totally pompous. I have zero tolerance for that elitest stuff.

On the other hand, I bumped into Sarah Whitmore at Freestone and stopped her to tell her about Zooktalk.com (since she rides Yellow now),and she was as nice as any riding buddy at your home-track. Really nice person for sure.

|

"The public sucks. Fuck hope." ~ George Carlin

7/29/2008 11:11 AM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

Actually the tracked was not groomed for them at washougal. Their 2nd moto was after the boys destroyed the track. It was rutty and very rough. I believe the women would race longer if given the choice, but that is all that the ama allows them. The top five girls right now, would definitely put up a battle in the consolation races. Fiolek is straight fast and so is JP. I am glad they are starting to get some recognition.

|

7/29/2008 11:30 AM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

I've known Tatum Sikk for a little while now, and she is not just girl fast she is flat out fast. I've ridden with her at Glen Helen on practice days and she on any given day will be smoking 90% of the riders out there.

Unless you can qualify for nationals you should keep your rediculous thoughts to yourself.

|

7/29/2008 12:08 PM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

Here are few facts you overlooked.

WMA sat moto 1 is after all practice and LCQ's are finished with no Track prep done. Possibly the roughest track of the day.
Moto 2 on Sunday is after all the guys practice is over. again no track prep done and the WMA do not get a practice on sunday. So another fairly rough track.
Your statement is ridiculous saying the have a smooth and groomed track.
As for the 15 minutes every single girl in the top 10 wants to ride for at least 25 minutes. So they have no choice it is what it is.

What finish line step up double are you talking about? I have been to every WMA round this year and have not seen a step up finish line double. So what are you watching to get these ideas?

I have also been to other races this year 5 Pro nationals total. As I recall in those 5 races I never saw Stewart or RV throw down many finish line whips either. They mostly do that at SX.

I guess if good racing action is not enough for you then sorry you will never be a fan.
Good for you the X games this year has a whip contest.




|

A new study shows that Depression hits Losers the hardest.

7/29/2008 12:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2016 7:49 PM

socalmx716 wrote:

I've known Tatum Sikk for a little while now, and she is not just girl fast she is flat out fast. I've ridden with her at Glen Helen on practice days and she on any given day will be smoking 90% of the riders out there.

Unless you can qualify for nationals you should keep your rediculous thoughts to yourself.

I too, have been on the track with Tatum, as well as #120 Abrianna Dunn, #5 Mariana Balbi, #905 Meika Cornelius, and #98 Katie McGuire....they are god damn fast.


Recently, at Perris, I saw Abri Dunn, pull her front wheel up, and pass six guys down a straight. She was awesome...At a Glen Helen, GP, Katie McGuire, won the 250cc class overall, starting from a second row.


I admit, they're are not at top AMA men level, but I'm pretty confident that they are faster than the last 10 or 15 in the mens Motos.


Besides, I'd rather have them changing clothes in my trailer over the guys.

|

Without the following support, my race program would not be worthy:

SERVICE HONDA ~ MTA ~ IMS ~ GPR ~ SPIDER GRIPS ~ GLEN HELEN RACEWAY ~ NO TOIL ~ FLUIDYNE ~ MAXXIS ~ FREEK RACING ~ SCVET ~ SRA ~ ENGINE ICE ~ ACERBIS

7/29/2008 2:00 PM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

I won't repeat the corrections everyone else made, but I left this weekend saying that this was the most entertaining professional women's sport I've ever seen. When I've flipped through channels and seen a WNBA game, I've watched for 30 seconds, thought to myself that I was better at the sport than they were, and changed the channel. These WMA girls would kick my ass on the track.

|

7/29/2008 2:13 PM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

For someone with your supposed educational background, that is the most ignorant comment I think I have ever seen on any board. Typical psychologist, stating their "fact" on something they know nothing about. Being that you hail from Ohio I will assume that you have never been to a WMA race, so, if you are going to base your transientthought on the 2 minutes coverage that you get off the T.V. broadcast, you really need to be more well informed. Let me help. The girls race on the roughest track of the weekend with only one 15 minute practice, they then race again the next day on a changed track with NO practice, only a sight lap. Meanwhile the boys get two 20 min. sessions on Sat. and two more on Sunday. If Ashleys time are close to qualifying with that, how do you think she'd do with all that practice? The girls "ONLY" race 15 minutes because that is what the AMA, in their infinite wisdom, have decided is all they deserve, all the while they are screaming for the same schedule the boys have. Basing your "not as exciting" comment on the fact that they don't throw finish line whips. There really is a lot more exciting things in MX than that. Maybe you should save your transientthoughts for FMX and X Games. From the inside, I know personally how hard these girls work to do what they are capable of doing, and to say that they don't deserve the attention they are getting is ignorant at best. Let me remind you that Ashley won a moto with a BROKEN wrist and placed second in the other. Where have Tedesco, Townley, Millsaps and the other riders been? In fact, where have you been when your races have come to town? Oh, that's right, "hurt". True champions ride through the pain! That goes for males and females. Before you get all upset at me, let me leave you with this..... :-).

|

Professing to be wise...they became fools.

7/29/2008 2:26 PM

If I based my knowledge of NASCAR on one weekend's highlights, I'd think, "Damn, these guys crash so often, they must not know how to drive."

The WMA Women are plenty fast, and the depth of the racing is much better than in the past.

|

7/29/2008 2:37 PM

GuyB wrote:

If I based my knowledge of NASCAR on one weekend's highlights, I'd think, "Damn, these guys crash so often, they must not know how to drive."

The WMA Women are plenty fast, and the depth of the racing is much better than in the past.

Yeah, I get it...I pick the Football games by how cute the uniforms are !

The women haul ass, plus they are cool to hang out with...

Abrianna Dunn, a crack up !
Katie McGuire, sweet as any woman I have ever met.

|

Without the following support, my race program would not be worthy:

SERVICE HONDA ~ MTA ~ IMS ~ GPR ~ SPIDER GRIPS ~ GLEN HELEN RACEWAY ~ NO TOIL ~ FLUIDYNE ~ MAXXIS ~ FREEK RACING ~ SCVET ~ SRA ~ ENGINE ICE ~ ACERBIS

7/29/2008 2:38 PM

the WMA moto is a good time to reload on beer and hotdogs. If u r really fast u can get thru the porta pottie line too.

|

7/29/2008 2:48 PM

crf250pilot wrote:

the WMA moto is a good time to reload on beer and hotdogs. If u r really fast u can get thru the porta pottie line too.

I guess you'd rather watch a parade than a race. That or they make you realize how slow you really are.

|

Professing to be wise...they became fools.

7/29/2008 4:15 PM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

rockcrawlerdude wrote:

well when you compare the attention they got back in the day of mercedez gonzales to now its quite a bit of difference! now i may be a little lopsided in my opinion in that my daughter races so any exposure to the WMA is good exposure... yes they may not be as fast but the competition is good and sometimes better than in the AMA becuz they are more closely matched... no 30 second leads there so get off your high horse and just enjoy more racing!

I am not on a high horse, I am just noting something being popularized because nobody wants to say that is not as exciting. Really I have nothing against female riders. I think it is great, my girlfriend is starting to ride, just like I have nothing against the WNBA. Most people will admit the WNBA is not as exciting (unless they have some other connection to a player or team). Fact of the matter is there are no rules prohibiting women from racing with men. That being said. How many women have qualified for nationals. yeah thats correct. The sport needs to support all riders, but they need to focus on the fast aggressive riders who have personality and I am sorry when I tell people how tuff motocross is and they see a WMA moto they really do not see it. The tracks are butter smooth and the aggression just isnt there. I really wish it were, but it is not.

I am so sick of everyone trying to be so PC all the time.
America is full of people who think "oh it is my turn, blah blah blah, what ever happened to turning heads with results, not just lights, cameras, and oh no women riding bikes".
It reminds me of that stupid weight loss commercial were the blonde woman catches a football and says
"What women can do that" to answer well many.

When people place these women amongst professional motocrossers but separate them because they are women, it in actuality is condecending and so all of you supporting the WMA have some good intentions, but really these women are great riders, but as a whole of motocross goes, they are not at the top A level. Say what you will, but results will back that up. Compare LL times the women's time really is not that fast. I dont want that to be true, it does not make me happy at all, but it is still true.

|

7/29/2008 4:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2016 7:49 PM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

socalmx716 wrote:

I've known Tatum Sikk for a little while now, and she is not just girl fast she is flat out fast. I've ridden with her at Glen Helen on practice days and she on any given day will be smoking 90% of the riders out there.

Unless you can qualify for nationals you should keep your rediculous thoughts to yourself.

before I bruised my liver last year I was thinking about qualifying for nationals.

Some of my friends who travel the circuit have been on practice tracks with those women and said yes they are fast, but a quick b rider pace.

and the bulldozer marks which were all over the one I caught on TV were real. I never saw any of them hit a major breaking bump. and yes Folek was going quite quick, but not quick enough to solidly clear the finish line double. Granted it was tricky, but she never cleared it all the way. I might have it Tivo'd..

the women are great and pretty quick, but hype is hype is hype. Also here is a lesson in statistical analysis for those making up percentages. Since more men ride, you get a larger representative sample of the population which seems to make the women look even better. However with a larger portion of the population you are bound to get more and more riders who are not serious racer and ride tracks for fun, while the majority of WMA riders are seriously attacking the track trying to get better. For example, You see 10 guys out jogging at a running track, and there is a female sprinter and a female distance runner there. Odds are the women are going to go much faster then the men because they are not typical of the average running population, but the men however are...The average serious racer who is male is typically faster than the serious female racer and that is supported by the results.

|

7/29/2008 4:25 PM

How many WMA races have you been to live?

That's what I thought.

When someone explains to you that they often run right after the guys practice (like the first moto at Washougal) on Saturday afternoon, and after the muddy practice on Sunday morning at last weekend, and you choose to ignore it, well, what can you say? You hear what you want to hear. They don't always run on butter-smooth tracks.

Their second moto at Hangtown was after the first MX1 and MX2 motos of the day, and it was rather gnarly.

I don't think I've ever said that I think they run at the same pace as the guys. But they put on a good show of their own, and that's what the WMA racing is supposed to do. It's not a stepping-stone class to jump up with the guys.

|

7/29/2008 4:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/29/2008 4:28 PM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

I am on your side on this. You had the guts to say it and I agree with you. The racing is better with Ashley but its still the WMA

|

Ed Johnson

7/29/2008 4:29 PM

Transientthought wrote:

before I bruised my liver last year I was thinking about qualifying for nationals.

Some of my friends who travel the circuit have been on practice tracks with those women and said yes they are fast, but a quick b rider pace.

and the bulldozer marks which were all over the one I caught on TV were real. I never saw any of them hit a major breaking bump. and yes Folek was going quite quick, but not quick enough to solidly clear the finish line double. Granted it was tricky, but she never cleared it all the way. I might have it Tivo'd..

the women are great and pretty quick, but hype is hype is hype. Also here is a lesson in statistical analysis for those making up percentages. Since more men ride, you get a larger representative sample of the population which seems to make the women look even better. However with a larger portion of the population you are bound to get more and more riders who are not serious racer and ride tracks for fun, while the majority of WMA riders are seriously attacking the track trying to get better. For example, You see 10 guys out jogging at a running track, and there is a female sprinter and a female distance runner there. Odds are the women are going to go much faster then the men because they are not typical of the average running population, but the men however are...The average serious racer who is male is typically faster than the serious female racer and that is supported by the results.

Again, what finish line double?

|

Motocross - Not for the fat, mean, or no-footed

7/29/2008 4:29 PM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

superglue wrote:

For someone with your supposed educational background, that is the most ignorant comment I think I have ever seen on any board. Typical psychologist, stating their "fact" on something they know nothing about. Being that you hail from Ohio I will assume that you have never been to a WMA race, so, if you are going to base your transientthought on the 2 minutes coverage that you get off the T.V. broadcast, you really need to be more well informed. Let me help. The girls race on the roughest track of the weekend with only one 15 minute practice, they then race again the next day on a changed track with NO practice, only a sight lap. Meanwhile the boys get two 20 min. sessions on Sat. and two more on Sunday. If Ashleys time are close to qualifying with that, how do you think she'd do with all that practice? The girls "ONLY" race 15 minutes because that is what the AMA, in their infinite wisdom, have decided is all they deserve, all the while they are screaming for the same schedule the boys have. Basing your "not as exciting" comment on the fact that they don't throw finish line whips. There really is a lot more exciting things in MX than that. Maybe you should save your transientthoughts for FMX and X Games. From the inside, I know personally how hard these girls work to do what they are capable of doing, and to say that they don't deserve the attention they are getting is ignorant at best. Let me remind you that Ashley won a moto with a BROKEN wrist and placed second in the other. Where have Tedesco, Townley, Millsaps and the other riders been? In fact, where have you been when your races have come to town? Oh, that's right, "hurt". True champions ride through the pain! That goes for males and females. Before you get all upset at me, let me leave you with this..... :-).

the women are great and pretty quick, but hype is hype is hype. Also here is a lesson in statistical analysis for those making up percentages. Since more men ride, you get a larger representative sample of the population which seems to make the women look even better. However with a larger portion of the population you are bound to get more and more riders who are not serious racer and ride tracks for fun, while the majority of WMA riders are seriously attacking the track trying to get better. For example, You see 10 guys out jogging at a running track, and there is a female sprinter and a female distance runner there. Odds are the women are going to go much faster then the men because they are not typical of the average running population, but the men however are...The average serious racer who is male is typically faster than the serious female racer and that is supported by the results.

If you brought out more average female rides you would see the average male rider would most likely be quicker as well.

|

7/29/2008 4:31 PM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

Homey wrote:

Here are few facts you overlooked.

WMA sat moto 1 is after all practice and LCQ's are finished with no Track prep done. Possibly the roughest track of the day.
Moto 2 on Sunday is after all the guys practice is over. again no track prep done and the WMA do not get a practice on sunday. So another fairly rough track.
Your statement is ridiculous saying the have a smooth and groomed track.
As for the 15 minutes every single girl in the top 10 wants to ride for at least 25 minutes. So they have no choice it is what it is.

What finish line step up double are you talking about? I have been to every WMA round this year and have not seen a step up finish line double. So what are you watching to get these ideas?

I have also been to other races this year 5 Pro nationals total. As I recall in those 5 races I never saw Stewart or RV throw down many finish line whips either. They mostly do that at SX.

I guess if good racing action is not enough for you then sorry you will never be a fan.
Good for you the X games this year has a whip contest.




Hmm. how long were the moto's before the WMA started the schedule they have now with the AMA? Were they any longer?

|

7/29/2008 4:33 PM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

lostboy819 wrote:

I am on your side on this. You had the guts to say it and I agree with you. The racing is better with Ashley but its still the WMA

Thank you very much. I am not trying to be mean, but people are really grasping here. Nobody has linked me to some video of the WMA women tearing up pro level men. They can say it, but the fact remains it is what they want rather than what is.

|

7/29/2008 4:34 PM

WMA racing is awesome. I'm glad the program gets bigger and bigger every year. I also this it's bad ass that the ladies are racing the X Games this year. That rules!


Go Sarah!!!!

|

#SeelyNation
Twitter @JaridSavoy

7/29/2008 4:46 PM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

superglue wrote:

For someone with your supposed educational background, that is the most ignorant comment I think I have ever seen on any board. Typical psychologist, stating their "fact" on something they know nothing about. Being that you hail from Ohio I will assume that you have never been to a WMA race, so, if you are going to base your transientthought on the 2 minutes coverage that you get off the T.V. broadcast, you really need to be more well informed. Let me help. The girls race on the roughest track of the weekend with only one 15 minute practice, they then race again the next day on a changed track with NO practice, only a sight lap. Meanwhile the boys get two 20 min. sessions on Sat. and two more on Sunday. If Ashleys time are close to qualifying with that, how do you think she'd do with all that practice? The girls "ONLY" race 15 minutes because that is what the AMA, in their infinite wisdom, have decided is all they deserve, all the while they are screaming for the same schedule the boys have. Basing your "not as exciting" comment on the fact that they don't throw finish line whips. There really is a lot more exciting things in MX than that. Maybe you should save your transientthoughts for FMX and X Games. From the inside, I know personally how hard these girls work to do what they are capable of doing, and to say that they don't deserve the attention they are getting is ignorant at best. Let me remind you that Ashley won a moto with a BROKEN wrist and placed second in the other. Where have Tedesco, Townley, Millsaps and the other riders been? In fact, where have you been when your races have come to town? Oh, that's right, "hurt". True champions ride through the pain! That goes for males and females. Before you get all upset at me, let me leave you with this..... :-).

Transientthought wrote:

the women are great and pretty quick, but hype is hype is hype. Also here is a lesson in statistical analysis for those making up percentages. Since more men ride, you get a larger representative sample of the population which seems to make the women look even better. However with a larger portion of the population you are bound to get more and more riders who are not serious racer and ride tracks for fun, while the majority of WMA riders are seriously attacking the track trying to get better. For example, You see 10 guys out jogging at a running track, and there is a female sprinter and a female distance runner there. Odds are the women are going to go much faster then the men because they are not typical of the average running population, but the men however are...The average serious racer who is male is typically faster than the serious female racer and that is supported by the results.

If you brought out more average female rides you would see the average male rider would most likely be quicker as well.

In all your pseudo intellectual ramblings you seem to forget one very important point....they are WOMEN. By your reasoning then womens pro tennis shouldn't exist, womens pro golf shouldn't exist, and on and on. They will never be a Stewart or RC or MC, but they could make a good run at it. And it would be fun to watch. Anyone who says they are not exciting has their head in the sand. because the thousands (yes, thousands!!) of people I've heard screaming at ALL the WMA races this year sounded like they were having a pretty good time. I'll put up Ashleys Billie Jean King to your Bobby Riggs any day. Even with a broken wrist.

|

Professing to be wise...they became fools.

7/29/2008 4:47 PM

Transientthought wrote:

I am almost never PC and I have to say the women race on track so smooth and groomed it is ridiculous and they only race for 15 minutes. That is so little time and as for the comment about them being as fast as the guys in the lites consolation, I saw one of their highlights on TV and Folek was not even clearing the finish line step up double.
It is like watching WNBA. It is just not as exciting.

I am sure those women work hard, but saying they are getting the attention they deserve is a bit of a stretch. I have not seen to many finish line whips from one of them just like dunking in the WNBA. It is not about them being female, it is about generating excitement when they are on the track and frankly it is rather boring. It is only exciting if you dwell on the fact they are women which in a way is condecending.

superglue wrote:

For someone with your supposed educational background, that is the most ignorant comment I think I have ever seen on any board. Typical psychologist, stating their "fact" on something they know nothing about. Being that you hail from Ohio I will assume that you have never been to a WMA race, so, if you are going to base your transientthought on the 2 minutes coverage that you get off the T.V. broadcast, you really need to be more well informed. Let me help. The girls race on the roughest track of the weekend with only one 15 minute practice, they then race again the next day on a changed track with NO practice, only a sight lap. Meanwhile the boys get two 20 min. sessions on Sat. and two more on Sunday. If Ashleys time are close to qualifying with that, how do you think she'd do with all that practice? The girls "ONLY" race 15 minutes because that is what the AMA, in their infinite wisdom, have decided is all they deserve, all the while they are screaming for the same schedule the boys have. Basing your "not as exciting" comment on the fact that they don't throw finish line whips. There really is a lot more exciting things in MX than that. Maybe you should save your transientthoughts for FMX and X Games. From the inside, I know personally how hard these girls work to do what they are capable of doing, and to say that they don't deserve the attention they are getting is ignorant at best. Let me remind you that Ashley won a moto with a BROKEN wrist and placed second in the other. Where have Tedesco, Townley, Millsaps and the other riders been? In fact, where have you been when your races have come to town? Oh, that's right, "hurt". True champions ride through the pain! That goes for males and females. Before you get all upset at me, let me leave you with this..... :-).

I also mentioned the whips, scrubs and tricks that some riders throw down during practice as well. Those are exciting, and all but missing from WMA, I am sure some of them have the skill, I am just saying when you see Josh Grant Rampage a jump face with his bike sliding sideways off it it is exciting. I have not witnessed this in my sample of WMA races I have viewed and I will admit it is difficult for me to access those races in person, but I have seen those women ride before in person expecially at LL. Here is lesson in argumentation that I will give you sinse you obviously read my profile which I wrote (many people do not want to fill it out his or her profile or they would be attacked just like me). When an argument deviates from the topic at hand and starts to make character attacks (i.e. the educational / ignorant remark) the person who is abasing the other in a negative manner becomes less effective.

And yes I have been hurt. There has been damage to my liver and thyroid which has been ongoing for the past year and a half. I have raced with broken bones, I have raced with torn muscles. I even won a GNCC when I raced the B class with a 3rd degree separation of my shoulder (placing (in the 40's overall), I have raced and had good results even though my wrist is still technically broken for the past 6 years. Do not question my toughness, I have rode through concusssios because I needed the results to get sponsors upcoming seasons, I have left school traveled non stop and raced without sleep. I have raced with a bruised lung. I have cartwheeled my bike so violently I recieved emails of people who thought I had passed away. So please lay off the character attacks. We are all riders and we all know pain.

|

7/29/2008 4:47 PM

Gotta go with Supernoob...eerrr...superglue on this one

|





This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR



[LINK TO IMAGE]
"Grant money is not pork" - Rep Allen West