Shifter position question on 2021 YZ250F (question for really any bike but thats the one I have)

zeromarine
Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 4:13am
Hey All
I got myself a 2021 YZ250F about a month ago. Im unable to ride it as its winter where I am and there is snow everywhere. That aside I have a question regarding the shift lever position. Im coming from a 2020 CRF250R and the shift lever stock came a tiny bit under level from the foot peg. I got used to it over the summer as it was my first dirt bike in 20 years. Ya there was times it was a bit diffucult to get my foot under the shifter standing up to shift but I just dealt with it, I could shift fine just bending my ankle sitting down also. I road the mx track all summer with it also bear in mind. My one buddy road the bike and said you need to move the shifter up one notch so I did and I noticed It was then hard to shift up standing up as I had to lift my whole foot off the peg, so I moved it back and never looked back.

So I get my 2021 YZ250F and just sitting on it etc playing around in the garage I notice the shifter stock is positioned a bit higher then the honda was a bit lower then the honda was when I moved it up a notch but higher then the honda was stock. The yz is perfect for when im standing up it seems in the garage but when I sit down I have to lift my whole foot off the peg. I tried moving it down a notch then it was pretty hard to get my foot under it when I was standing up probably even lower then the honda was stock. But I could shift perfect just bending my ankle when Im sitting down. Now thinking back to the summer and riding 95% of the time your shifting when your either half standing or standing up that I recall? and not very often when your sitting down.

Whats everyones thoughts on where I should leave the shifter? Leave it where it is and get used to having to lift my whole foot the odd time I have to shift when Im sitting down.
Or move it down and have it harder to get my foot under when im shifting and standing up but having it easier to shift when sitting down?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
|
FWYT
1/18/2021 11:36am
Man, I know exactly what you are talking about. One notch up and it's a little too high for clean upshifts, but good for downshifts. Then you move the shifter one notch lower and it's the opposite.

So what I do is weld a little pad on the top (or bottom) of the shifter. That essentially fills in the gap of not being
quite low or high enough. Doesn't take much. Even like 6mm does the trick for me.
Moto520
1/18/2021 11:37am
i would leave it in the stock position and get used to riding it like that. Too low and you'll have issues. Too high and you will have issues. Stock position is good on that bike. Otherwise....get on of the Pro Circuit shift levers and see what it does!
Ryan625
1/18/2021 11:53am
I just ride it 🤷🏻‍♂️

The brake pedal on the other hand, that I am picky about
zeromarine
1/18/2021 11:59am
K thanks for the imput, I think Ill just leave it as it is and try it out. Ill look into a pro Circuit shifter also.

I figure its probably best to have it set so you can shift better while standing up.

The Shop

Timo
1/18/2021 12:01pm
1. Sell 250
2. Buy 450
3. Buy snow bike kit
4. Stop staring at your bike and going crazy all winter cause you can't ride.
BenC711
1/18/2021 1:19pm
Zeta make a gear lever that’s adjustable on the end called the revolver. Has a few positions and can usually get it perfect
duckdog77
1/18/2021 2:04pm
That’s a personally preference thing for sure.

I like mine as high as I can put it without hitting the chain or engine cover. On my Kawi that was perfect on my KTM it’s still a touch low for my liking but any higher and it hits the side cover.

Funny story. Didn’t have much time on a new bike and I decided to move my shift lever up before a 1hr GP race a couple seasons back without any testing. Everytime I would up shift it was hitting my chain. That was a painful hour on the bike. 🤦🏼‍♂️
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
1/18/2021 4:14pm
Timo wrote:
1. Sell 250
2. Buy 450
3. Buy snow bike kit
4. Stop staring at your bike and going crazy all winter cause you can't ride.
Step 5, buy a new motor for your 450 in the springLaughing
zeromarine
2/14/2021 11:46am
I’m 5’11 and put on the flo lowering pegs. And messing around a bit more I ended up just leaving it where it was stock. When standing in any position now it’s easy to get under the shifter and just pivot my ankle to shift. Just when sitting I have to lift my whole foot up to shift. No big deal.

How I had it before

Couple pics how I have it now

biondo
2/14/2021 1:05pm
I just did yamaha test ride event last weekend at Fox 🦊 Mx track ca
Just wanted to compare my 2020’ 250RMZ..
Now I keep thinking about buying one! But wife would make me sleep with it😁
Seriously though I thought shifting was perfect! I checked my Suzuki , top of barrel was Even with top of peg which made it difficult to get toe under it...so adjusted so bottom is even with top of peg ...Your photos look like it’s a bit higher...I tried that position but too high for me ...
Good luck and stay warm or move to California 😎

zeromarine
2/14/2021 3:16pm
biondo wrote:
I just did yamaha test ride event last weekend at Fox 🦊 Mx track ca Just wanted to compare my 2020’ 250RMZ.. Now I keep thinking...
I just did yamaha test ride event last weekend at Fox 🦊 Mx track ca
Just wanted to compare my 2020’ 250RMZ..
Now I keep thinking about buying one! But wife would make me sleep with it😁
Seriously though I thought shifting was perfect! I checked my Suzuki , top of barrel was Even with top of peg which made it difficult to get toe under it...so adjusted so bottom is even with top of peg ...Your photos look like it’s a bit higher...I tried that position but too high for me ...
Good luck and stay warm or move to California 😎

Thanks for that! Ya the bottom of the shift barrel is even with the top of the teeth hard to tell by the pic. (The pegs are maybe 1mm teeth to teeth lower then the stock pegs. The shifter is in the stock position. If I move it lower it’s below the peg and hard to get under. I wear a size 11 instincts.

Can’t wait to try it out !
Thanks cold up here in Canada haha!
Vet57
2/15/2021 4:13am
Who makes the shift lever you installed? Thx

Post a reply to: Shifter position question on 2021 YZ250F (question for really any bike but thats the one I have)

The Latest