SX Qualifying - 3 Lap Average Time?

MOTO120
Maybe this has been discussed but thought maybe this would be a good idea. What about rather than simply a 1-Lap "who's the best" qualifying structure, why not change that to an average of the riders' best 3-Laps? I'm not saying it would have to be a 3 consecutive laps but rather just 3 total laps times. I just tend to think this might make qualifying a bit more exciting and our ability to see them ride harder for longer, rather than roll around for 12 minutes to only put down one heater.

Thoughts?
|
10/4/2016 11:27am
I think for that to work they would need to break it up into smaller groups.
with them only needing one fast lap that gives the opportunity to roll slow around the track to look for different lines.

mx836
10/4/2016 11:28am
Sounds like a good idea to me. Not sure if this is where you got the idea, but they do that at the National and World level RC car races and it works well.
ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
10/4/2016 11:34am
While not a pro racer, seems like timed qualifying already puts a lot of pressure on them to immediately go fast rather than learn the track. This seems like it would exacerbate that. I don't see much upside to it either.
bdownen323
10/4/2016 11:34am
I always thought it would be cool to have it be an average of your best times from each session. I have a sense that shit would go haywire if something odd happened in that format though (rider gets hurt in Q1 and can't ride Q2, bike problem in one session, etc.)

The Shop

Rowlands
10/4/2016 11:47am
I think it would be carnage and pretty dangerous !
GangGreen
10/4/2016 12:19pm
MOTO120 wrote:
Maybe this has been discussed but thought maybe this would be a good idea. What about rather than simply a 1-Lap "who's the best" qualifying structure...
Maybe this has been discussed but thought maybe this would be a good idea. What about rather than simply a 1-Lap "who's the best" qualifying structure, why not change that to an average of the riders' best 3-Laps? I'm not saying it would have to be a 3 consecutive laps but rather just 3 total laps times. I just tend to think this might make qualifying a bit more exciting and our ability to see them ride harder for longer, rather than roll around for 12 minutes to only put down one heater.

Thoughts?
The real problem may be as simple as MX Sport's harebrained decision to go to “Timed Practice”. It forces the riders to ride the fast line during practice, thus insuring a one-lined racetrack. They used to place hay bales on the insides, or in the good line during practice, to create more lines. Supercross and Motocross is about racing, not just who can do ONE FAST LAP. Real racers, I believe, would like to see a return to early afternoon qualifiers for the AMA Supercross Series and morning qualifiers for the AMA Outdoor Nationals. Timing could be used to limit the entries to two heats for the 125cc class and three heats for the 250cc classes.

Post a reply to: SX Qualifying - 3 Lap Average Time?

The Latest