RC on Everts

Jefro98
3/16/2012 12:11am
Roger's opinion is due respect, but not necessarily any more than any other thoughtful opinion. It's still a hypothetical. And really begs the question how good...
Roger's opinion is due respect, but not necessarily any more than any other thoughtful opinion. It's still a hypothetical. And really begs the question how good is Everts on the basis of how he actually rode. The guy also doesn't get enough credit for jump starting the second era of his career after the husky period, and his injury and the fiasco with his manager.

And think about the context for any DeCoster comments here. 1) The crap RD must get from the Belgians about his involvement here, and how he I am sure values his own legacy as a great Belgian rider; and (2) he successfully recruited Alby and eventually hired Tortelli. RD has been instrumental in getting guys over, but never succeeded with Everts.

And then look at the facts. Everts didn't win a title from 98-2000 and was out for more than a bit of time there, so his legacy already is missing wins and titles people would give to Alby (who was out of the sport by 2000) and Tortelli. Tortelli realistically was the guy with a greater shot at dinging Everts win and title numbers once Everts was back on track with Yamaha in 2001. But if you're going to import Tortelli into an imaginary world where he stays in Europe and race Everts, then you have to import the whole guy, both the speed and the inclination to crash his brains out, which unfortunately for him and us he did consistently on both sides of the pond before and after his stint in the US.

One of the great things about both Everts and RC is their resiliency over time against great riders. You don't diminish a guy's legacy by imagining something different from what actually happened. The imaginary past where Tortelli takes three titles and 30 wins from Everts after 1998 isn't any more real that the imaginary past where Tortelli stays in Europe and breaks his neck in the first GP of 1999. I can realistically imagine a healthy Ezra Lusk and Travis Pastrana taking wins and maybe even titles from RC, but that's not what happened.

These two guys have the legacy they do because of what they did, not because of what other people did or didn't do.
Good post Michael. Totally agree with you.

And Tortelli did indeed come back to race Everts in 2005 when he signed with KTM, It only lasted a couple of round because he indeed crashed his brains out.
ocscottie
3/16/2012 12:51am
From Stefans twitter:@RickyCarmichael thx for the respect @daytona commentating #fox-hill '98

Can we drop the drama and show both the legends of our sport the respect they deserve?
ocscottie
3/16/2012 1:51am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2012 1:53am
RC was riding with blown out knee, (remember that was his last race before having his knee repaired and missed the 04 SX series) I still have it on one of my HD's.

Two classy dudes:

The Shop

Jefro98
3/16/2012 1:52am
ocscottie wrote:
From Stefans twitter:[i]@RickyCarmichael thx for the respect @daytona commentating #fox-hill '98[/i] Can we drop the drama and show both the legends of our sport the respect...
From Stefans twitter:@RickyCarmichael thx for the respect @daytona commentating #fox-hill '98

Can we drop the drama and show both the legends of our sport the respect they deserve?
This is Vital scottie.
You know every thread with Stefan Everts in the title will end up in a Everts vs Carmichael argument.

It´s all sixes and sevens Basil.
ocscottie
3/16/2012 2:01am
Some cool pics from that day (i recall hearing that the crowd was going NUTS for RC's whips)

I dig this one, looks like he is tire tapping on the balloon Cool
Sunhouse
3/16/2012 2:01am
Roger's opinion is due respect, but not necessarily any more than any other thoughtful opinion. It's still a hypothetical. And really begs the question how good...
Roger's opinion is due respect, but not necessarily any more than any other thoughtful opinion. It's still a hypothetical. And really begs the question how good is Everts on the basis of how he actually rode. The guy also doesn't get enough credit for jump starting the second era of his career after the husky period, and his injury and the fiasco with his manager.

And think about the context for any DeCoster comments here. 1) The crap RD must get from the Belgians about his involvement here, and how he I am sure values his own legacy as a great Belgian rider; and (2) he successfully recruited Alby and eventually hired Tortelli. RD has been instrumental in getting guys over, but never succeeded with Everts.

And then look at the facts. Everts didn't win a title from 98-2000 and was out for more than a bit of time there, so his legacy already is missing wins and titles people would give to Alby (who was out of the sport by 2000) and Tortelli. Tortelli realistically was the guy with a greater shot at dinging Everts win and title numbers once Everts was back on track with Yamaha in 2001. But if you're going to import Tortelli into an imaginary world where he stays in Europe and race Everts, then you have to import the whole guy, both the speed and the inclination to crash his brains out, which unfortunately for him and us he did consistently on both sides of the pond before and after his stint in the US.

One of the great things about both Everts and RC is their resiliency over time against great riders. You don't diminish a guy's legacy by imagining something different from what actually happened. The imaginary past where Tortelli takes three titles and 30 wins from Everts after 1998 isn't any more real that the imaginary past where Tortelli stays in Europe and breaks his neck in the first GP of 1999. I can realistically imagine a healthy Ezra Lusk and Travis Pastrana taking wins and maybe even titles from RC, but that's not what happened.

These two guys have the legacy they do because of what they did, not because of what other people did or didn't do.
Jefro98 wrote:
Good post Michael. Totally agree with you. And Tortelli did indeed come back to race Everts in 2005 when he signed with KTM, It only lasted...

And Tortelli did indeed come back to race Everts in 2005 when he signed with KTM, It only lasted a couple of round because he indeed crashed his brains out.
Wasn`t it 2006?
FTE post was something to copy/paste and hand out in similar threads too!
ocscottie
3/16/2012 2:03am
ocscottie wrote:
From Stefans twitter:[i]@RickyCarmichael thx for the respect @daytona commentating #fox-hill '98[/i] Can we drop the drama and show both the legends of our sport the respect...

Jefro98 wrote:
This is Vital scottie. You know every thread with Stefan Everts in the title will end up in a Everts vs Carmichael argument. It´s all sixes...
This is Vital scottie.
You know every thread with Stefan Everts in the title will end up in a Everts vs Carmichael argument.

It´s all sixes and sevens Basil.
Oh i hear ya Jeff, guess i am an optimist and always try and see the good in people/things Laughing
ocscottie
3/16/2012 2:05am
and btw: not sure who the photo credit goes to in the above pics, maybe TFS?
Jefro98
3/16/2012 2:22am
Sunhouse wrote:
Wasn`t it 2006?
FTE post was something to copy/paste and hand out in similar threads too!
Yes, you are correct.
2006 was the season Tortelli came to race MX1 for KTM.
Jefro98
3/16/2012 2:25am
ocscottie wrote:
Oh i hear ya Jeff, guess i am an optimist and always try and see the good in people/things Laughing
Oh, you´re so naive.
LaughingLaughing
Fearo
3/16/2012 3:15am
ocscottie wrote:
Some cool pics from that day (i recall hearing that the crowd was going NUTS for RC's whips) [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/100503carmichaelwow.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/97733-0func.jpg[/img] I dig this one, looks like...
Some cool pics from that day (i recall hearing that the crowd was going NUTS for RC's whips)

The first picture was taken by my dad, 100% serious.
3/16/2012 3:30am
Jefro98 wrote:
Good post Michael. Totally agree with you. And Tortelli did indeed come back to race Everts in 2005 when he signed with KTM, It only lasted...

Yes damn good post,ironically during those 3 years Everts didn't win a title,Tortelli snatched the title in a season that went down to the wire in Greece and it was Everts (8 points up at the time) that crashed out leading the first Moto,and again in the 2nd,it was a sureal sight,he totally lost his cool,possibly the only time I ever witnessed him like that,Tortelli coasted to the victory and the title
The other years Everts was injured pre season,who knows,it might have been more titles
Old Mate
3/16/2012 3:40am
Flip109 wrote:
I agree. If he'd have came over here and raced he wouldnt be half the legend he is or even a legend at all.
10 times world champion.
Katoom72
3/16/2012 5:34am
ocscottie wrote:
RC was riding with blown out knee, (remember that was his last race before having his knee repaired and missed the 04 SX series) I still...
RC was riding with blown out knee, (remember that was his last race before having his knee repaired and missed the 04 SX series) I still have it on one of my HD's.

Two classy dudes:

Thank god Everts got his sense back by that time, one time he totally lost it..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l5li603cwI
3/16/2012 5:47am
steedmills wrote:
Definately not hanging it out
i think roczens playing it smart in supercross, his starts havent been great and theres no point riding beyond himself to try and catch barcia to go for a regional supercross title. If he stays in one peice through supercross then he can let it all hang out in the outdoors (where he is best) he can then take the experience from this year into the supercross next year
3/16/2012 5:52am

Katoom72 wrote:
Amen to that
exactly! tortelli had the measure of RC on more than one occasion aswel as everts- but bad luck and crashes kept him from winning more on both sides of the pond (remember how fast tortelli was at glen helen in his ama national debut?! or when he ran out of fuel after catching and passing RC)
Barrett57
3/16/2012 4:57pm

Both were absolutly fucking incredible.

I just wished I'd got to see carmichael ride in person, iv'e rode with Everts twice and it was incredible watching him effortlessly riding through section 10000x quicker than I thought was possible. Cool
agnus
3/16/2012 5:03pm
ocscottie wrote:
Some cool pics from that day (i recall hearing that the crowd was going NUTS for RC's whips) [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/100503carmichaelwow.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.ocscottie.com/new/uploads/97733-0func.jpg[/img] I dig this one, looks like...

Fearo wrote:
The first picture was taken by my dad, 100% serious.
Great pics!! thx
pawsan
3/16/2012 5:07pm
ocscottie wrote:

i was there that day and actually got to met team usa in their garage.

i managed to get to talk with rc for maybe ten minutes, to this day he's probably the most approachable racer i have ever met, a really nice guy that maybe didn't have the time, but made the time to chat to fans.

his whips were insane, the crowd were going mad for rc over the 2 days and for me it really didn't matter who won, i got to see two motocross legends race that weekend.

but in all honesty rc was on a different level, he made great racers look ordinary that day. i remember in his last race his start wasn't the best, maybe somewhere in the top 10 from what i can remember, gordan crockard finished 2nd in the world in 2002 so was no slouch himself, got a good start. the finish line table top at that time in the evening was right into the sun, the face of the jump was rutted real bad. rc was catching crockard real fast, but the move he made just stunned me. comming up to the tabletop they were light blinded by the sun so it was hard to pick a rut, crockard eased of to pick his spot, and i swear to this day i never heard a 250 2 stroke scream like rc's did hitting that jump, the guy never eased, you really needed to be there to understand just how much balls it took to hit it at that speed in that light.
CamP
3/16/2012 8:38pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2012 8:40pm
That second pic is greatness.

Looks like Ricky had already used that line before.

Post a reply to: RC on Everts

The Latest