New Mexico Riding options?

5/12/2012 5:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2018 6:13pm
Hi,

So long story short, I am looking at jobs right now looking for the next step. I have a couple interviews set, one not far from where I currently work in an area I am familiar with, and one that wants to fly me into New Mexico as that is where I will work after training. How is the riding there? I am wondering about tracks and trails. As far as trails go, just desert or is there any woodsy stuff in NM or close. The exact area is Albuquerque.
|
luckyguy19
5/12/2012 5:42pm
There's a ton of free riding in New Mexico, and close to Albuquerque. As far as desert goes, there are a few places within about 30min or the city. You can ride the mountains (Cedro Peak) to the east of the city, also about 30min. Some of the best mountain riding is about 1.5 hours away in the Jemez Mountains. Tons of single track up there winding through the trees. Now the down side is when it comes to tracks. We have one track in town that runs practices every other Sunday. The track is ok, but certainly not great. There is another track about 45min to the east in Moriarty that is pretty fun and has good dirt, but it doesn’t look like it will be opening this year. My theory is, we have so much free riding, and no one wants to pay to go to a track. I think its a good place to live and ride a dirt bike. But after hitting up three tracks in Phoenix this winter, our tracks don't hold a candle to what most bigger cities have.
5/13/2012 4:51am
Great, sounds right up my alley then. How are land prices around there?
dak446
3/14/2013 8:06pm
Any new things happening in the Albuquerque area? I'll be working there over the summer, and I'm coming down this next week to find a place to live. Looking for tracks to ride, and possibly some bros to ride with.
Jarrett H
3/14/2013 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2013 8:30pm
New Mexico is probably one of the better places to freeride in the country. It has a few okay mx tracks, but being able to park your truck and ride for hours in one direction is amazing.

Pretty sure last year Sandia MX was revamped and reworked. I rode there last summer and it was okay. Water is always an issue.

The Shop

dak446
3/14/2013 8:41pm
Jarrett H wrote:
New Mexico is probably one of the better places to freeride in the country. It has a few okay mx tracks, but being able to park...
New Mexico is probably one of the better places to freeride in the country. It has a few okay mx tracks, but being able to park your truck and ride for hours in one direction is amazing.

Pretty sure last year Sandia MX was revamped and reworked. I rode there last summer and it was okay. Water is always an issue.
I don't freeride much. I don't have too many friends that like to freeride, and I won't go by myself for obvious reasons, so it's not really an option. I'll have to check out Sandia MX for sure. What about Moriarty?
luckyguy19
3/14/2013 10:24pm
So this year there is no Sandia MX, but there is Sandia MX Moriarty. Things didn't work out at Sandia Speedway, so the crew moved out to Moriarty. The track has been revamped and is pretty darn good, and will get better as the season goes. Its about 30 miles to the east of ABQ. When you get down, drop a PM an we would be happy to show you around.
dak446
3/14/2013 10:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2013 10:49pm
luckyguy19 wrote:
So this year there is no Sandia MX, but there is Sandia MX Moriarty. Things didn't work out at Sandia Speedway, so the crew moved out...
So this year there is no Sandia MX, but there is Sandia MX Moriarty. Things didn't work out at Sandia Speedway, so the crew moved out to Moriarty. The track has been revamped and is pretty darn good, and will get better as the season goes. Its about 30 miles to the east of ABQ. When you get down, drop a PM an we would be happy to show you around.
Awesome, I'll be stopping by my dealer in Colorado on the way down to pick up a new scooter, so I'll need to break it in this week sometime!

How often is it open? I try to ride 4 or 5 times a week, so if you're a member, can your ride it any time?

And honestly, I'm not all that worried about track conditions. It can't possibly get any worse than what I ride on here (basically a gravel pit with jumps)
luckyguy19
3/15/2013 7:44am
You can only ride on the track during dedicated practice sessions. These are about every other week on a Saturday the day before a race or on Sunday on practice only weekends. So to ride 4-5 times a week you'll have to check out some of the other riding spots available.
dak446
3/15/2013 10:58am
I sent you a PM with my phone number so I can get a hold of you when we get down there.

That sucks it's only open once every two weeks!! It looks sweet from the videos and stuff, hopefully we can find somewhere else to ride then!
dak446
3/15/2013 9:46pm
Made it to Pueblo, CO. Gonna do some riding here tomorrow, unless somewhere in NM is open! Sure is a lot harder to find tracks to ride than I was expecting!
Bytor
3/16/2013 12:51am
If you want to back track just a bit I will hook you up. I am 10 miles east of exit 122 on I-25. It's 25 minutes from Pueblo. I have a lot better track and dirt than the pueblo MX track.
dak446
3/16/2013 10:03am
I could do that, call me at 3073895856. I'm at the pueblo riding area, it sucks haha
watson
3/16/2013 1:36pm
A track really worth your time, should you want to make the investment is Tularosa MX. About 2 1/2 hours from Albuquerque, and they race once every month (Practice Saturday, Race Sunday). There's full hookups for RV's, and a hotel in Alamogordo that offers discounts for racers. Many riders from Albuquerque make the trip down here (and from El Paso, Las Cruces, and even farther), there's great dirt, reasonable and fun jumps, and a consistent turnout of hundreds of racers every month. This is one of the many tracks Jason Anderson cut his teeth at, and it's been around since the 70's.

tuliemx.com
dak446
3/16/2013 9:36pm
Made it to Albuquerque, this place is kinda rough. Got my bike in the hotel room with me, praying that I wake up and still have a truck in the morning.

Thanks to Bytor, we got some time on the new bike. Good stuff!

Now to see if we can get a place to ride tomorrow! Hope Moriarty is having practice.
dak446
3/21/2013 10:06pm
We made it back to Wyo safely, and had a good time riding a few different places in Colorado and New Mexico. Gallup, NM is one of the mot fun tracks I've ever ridden, for sure. Deep sand in some spots, with an awesome uphill whoops section that turns around a big tree. We also met some awesome local moto guys who run the club that maintains the track. If you're ever in the area, look 'em up, they seemed excited to have new people out on their track!

And did I mention I got a new scoot? The new RMZ-450 is insane

Bytor
3/22/2013 10:54am
Was nice to meet you guys. Glad the trip was a success. Common out anytime.
dak446
3/22/2013 11:17am
Bytor wrote:
Was nice to meet you guys. Glad the trip was a success. Common out anytime.
Thanks man, it was awesome to meet some moto guys during the trip, and we appreciate you letting us ride your track. Next time we come down, we'll hit you up!
motoxracer723
9/6/2018 5:35pm
Digging this old thread up. Headed to a fall/winter job outside of Albuquerque. Seeing if any of you NM boys can chime in here.
JWACK
9/6/2018 6:13pm
Digging this old thread up. Headed to a fall/winter job outside of Albuquerque. Seeing if any of you NM boys can chime in here.
Pm me ?

Post a reply to: New Mexico Riding options?

The Latest