New Bike Options?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/2/2015 6:46 PM

Hey vitards!

Local A rider looking for a new bike this next coming month and can't decide between the new KTM 450 or the Kawi 450. I am located in Chico CA and just want to know some of your guys' experiences buying new bikes from your local dealer and what you have to say about it positive/negative in regards to resale value or best bang for your buck. and if you are going to come bash this post for some unnecessary reason then kick rocks, just looking for some honest reviews and experiences. Will be my first bike I buy brand new, looking to drop about 5k down

|

4/2/2015 7:01 PM

ML512 will give you the best opinion and it will be unbiased. Hopefully he sees this thread!!

|

Fanboy of: JS7 and AC222

4/2/2015 7:04 PM

But I do think the Kawi won the shootout that ML512 helps with

|

Fanboy of: JS7 and AC222

4/2/2015 7:11 PM

Resale value I would say the KTM will hold it's value a bit better. But at that level performance wise I'd say they are pretty equal and it all comes to preference. The forks on the KTM take some work to get sorted but so do the new SFF TAC on the Kawi's. I will say though that being a taller guy myself (6'3) that I preferred the feel of the KTM. When I rode a buddies Kawi I liked it but the KTM just felt more comfortable. Either way both are solid bikes. Hit up Dustin at B&B cycles for both bikes or the guys at 3bros and they'll get you sorted on the KTM if you go that route.

|

4/2/2015 7:12 PM

After riding the new FE version of the KTM, I have the hardest time telling anyone to buy the current one (IT'S THAT GOOD!). Both bikes are well rounded packages, with their biggest downfalls being the forks in stock trim. I do personally feel like the SFF TAC forks can be tuned quite well, where the 4CS forks on the KTM are a bit harder to dial in perfectly. Both have broad engines that have power everywhere. KTM leans a bit more to mid-to-top-end power, with a smoother/slower revving bottom-end. The Kawi has a bit more punch right off the bottom. It can be lugged easily, but will snap to life quicker when needed. It has excellent mid and it doesn't taper-off to bad up top. The KTM does pull into the rev-limiter without any drop off however. I feel like the KTM is a bit more balanced between handling and stability. It really turns in quite well, and tracks out great due to that smooth roll-on. The Kawi is more stable but takes a bit more work to get into the corners. Once you get it in, stays planted well and likes to rear-steer a bit on exits. Especially when it snaps on with a bit more throttle input. Both bikes are great to ride on rough/ fast tracks, as they inspire confidence.

How much do you weigh btw?

|

4/2/2015 7:15 PM

Biggest negative with the 4CS, is they have an initial harshness that is hard to cure. Especially as they dive a bit under braking so as your stiffen them, that harshness becomes more obvious. Being fairly light (155 lbs) I don't have a major problem with SFF TAC. For me, they're a bit dead and soft stock, but work well in slow-speed sections where the 4CS ruins my hands.

|

4/2/2015 7:17 PM

ML512 wrote:

Biggest negative with the 4CS, is they have an initial harshness that is hard to cure. Especially as they dive a bit under ...more

ML, I sent you an email the other day, did you get it?

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

4/2/2015 7:36 PM

Okay thanks for all the positive comments guys. I am at 155 lbs right now and will probably be riding around the 165 weight come the time. resale value is BIG thing for me. How many of you are experienced in buying new in order to resale in time to buy new again without much loss?

|

4/2/2015 7:36 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

ML, I sent you an email the other day, did you get it?

Spam filter. laughing Responded now.

|

4/2/2015 7:38 PM

Wes_Brooks wrote:

Okay thanks for all the positive comments guys. I am at 155 lbs right now and will probably be riding around the 165 weight ...more

I agree that KTM's keep their value a bit better, but with this huge redesign coming, it'll probably hurt the older model a bit more. But you'll have the same problem with the Kawi, as there are some changes coming for it as well.

If you have any specific questions about each bike, feel free to PM me as well.

|

4/2/2015 9:05 PM

Had a 2014 kx 450, picked up the 2015 kx 450. Be prepared to spend hours tuning the forks to your liking on the 2015'. I have spent hours on the net reading and researching and learning. Spent $ 600 getting forks revalved by a big name in suspension company. I personally had the 2014' setup perfectly for my speed and type of track riding I do. There are just so many variables with the Kawi 2015' forks. I am almost there with the setup, and will probably be worth it, but boy I have a lot more suspension knowledge than I ever wanted.

|

4/2/2015 9:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2015 9:20 PM

Sargent Rock wrote:

Had a 2014 kx 450, picked up the 2015 kx 450. Be prepared to spend hours tuning the forks to your liking on the 2015'. I have ...more

How do you like the 15 compared to the 14? other than the setup, factory connection does all my stuff, how do engines compare stock?

|

4/2/2015 9:48 PM

might want to try Power or Motosport Hillsboro since you're in Chico, Im 2.5 north of you in Medford, and I find it well worth the drive up north to get a screaming deal on bikes

|

4/3/2015 5:40 AM

To get a good deal and beat some of the initial depreciation you have to travel out of state and pay cash.

|

Recovering JS7, PED, 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, Alessi, thread poster....

4/3/2015 6:21 AM

If you buy anything new, when you go to re-sell it you're going to take a big depreciation hit. It'll depreciate as soon as you sign the paperwork at the dealership. No getting around it for any bike you choose. From what I've seen, KTM's hold their value quite well but with the FE , a '15 may not hold it's value as well as they have in the past. For what it's worth, I have a 2015 KX450F and love it. I had a big name shop revalve them for me and were within a couple clicks for them to be amazing. I would assume you'll be getting them revalved and the tuner should get you in the ballpark as far as settings.

Long story short - If you're looking for a new bike that you won't take a big depreciation hit on so you can upgrade bikes every year or 2 without a huge loss, you need to find a used 2015 model. Let someone else eat the big depreciation hit.

|

4/3/2015 7:50 AM

I'm a fast B-rider that buys 2~4 year old bikes from guys like you and I had a Craigslist addiction.
From what I've seen, the KTM 450 has the best resale of the 450 MX bikes.
A 250 SX will be worth $1000 more than the 450 SX once you hit 4 years out even though you pay a little more up front.

Best guess is that the 2016 450 and 350SX will always be a great and benefit from the hype that the 2015.5 FE has generated. Once the 2017 comes out with cone-valved forks, the 2016 might not be the flavor of the month any more, even though it's still a great ride.

The 250F takes the biggest loss 3 or more years out, unless you sell to a team mate who has seen your maintenance habits. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one used, but I would have to get it $1700 below book value it case it grenades soon after I buy it. even the "old" YZ250 brings an extra 1k over a clean 250 SXF.

|

4/3/2015 9:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2015 9:56 AM

I just got home after the first ride on a 2014 sxf 450 with FMF exhaust, full Race Tech suspension, Acerbis X-seat(actually makes a big difference in corners) and a modified EFI map and this is by far the best cornering bike i'v ever been on. The Kawasaki isn't even close to this bike.

The engine is brutal. I rode a local sand track here in Finland that is really deep and the track was really rough and it was a joy to ride. The Brembo brakes are just fantastic, other OEMs need to take a look at their brakes because they are really far behind KTM.

But i guess every bike is good these days.

(and yes, i have been on a 2015 kxf)

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

4/3/2015 1:26 PM

ML512 wrote:

After riding the new FE version of the KTM, I have the hardest time telling anyone to buy the current one (IT'S THAT GOOD!). ...more

Since you do such good bike reviews, I'm curious what your thoughts are on the 15.5 KTM 450 vs the 15 Honda 450. The engine isn't a big factor for me. I only weight 145 and the Honda has plenty of power. I'm more concerned with cornering, flickabilty and suspension. Also, does the new KTM feel small and light like a Honda? Thanks

|