Michigan track needs your help!

JW269
Edited Date/Time 11/10/2014 6:07pm

A military friend of mine just built this track in lower Michigan for his young son. He brought in a crew from California to build this on his land. He had previously talked to the township board telling them of his plans, which they understood and were OK with. All was well, until 1 neighbor complained about noise before anyone even had a chance to ride. Needless to say a town hall meeting has been placed to have the track torn down and the land be put back to "original form." Knowing how the moto community is, and that we support one another; we are asking for support at this meeting from anyone within this township and riders in the surrounding Michigan area. (Schoolcraft MI). The town hall meeting has been set for NOV 10th and we want to pack the room full! All forms of support are welcome; your property is your property, and you should be able to do what you please.

Thank you!
|
dboivin
10/27/2014 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2014 7:35pm
good luck, these almost never go well. was involved with a battle in harrison and then now there is a battle in indian river over the same stuff. once you get one bad apple roundng up the troops against you every tree hugger in the state coming out to fight you. their goal will be to run you out of money defending yourself.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
10/27/2014 8:16pm
It blows my mind that when you own your land, you can't do whatever you want on it within reasonable hours. You didn't even get to ride it... I wish you the best of luck man!
Jrewing
10/28/2014 3:15am
Take an electric bike to the meeting and tell them this is the bike.

The Shop

Crush
10/28/2014 3:24am
It blows my mind that when you own your land, you can't do whatever you want on it within reasonable hours. You didn't even get to...
It blows my mind that when you own your land, you can't do whatever you want on it within reasonable hours. You didn't even get to ride it... I wish you the best of luck man!
Yep. It's pretty much fucked!
Kinetic1
10/28/2014 5:38am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2014 6:10am
Meeting is Monday November 10th at 6:00PM. at 50 E V W Ave, Vicksburg, MI 49097

Be there if you can but remember to be respectful. Don't show up in full moto gear hooting and hollering. That isn't going to be of any help.
steed 2.0
10/28/2014 5:39am
Jrewing wrote:
Take an electric bike to the meeting and tell them this is the bike.
or show them this video

JW269
10/28/2014 6:42am
Kinetic1 wrote:
Meeting is Monday November 10th at 6:00PM. at 50 E V W Ave, Vicksburg, MI 49097 Be there if you can but remember to be respectful...

Be there if you can but remember to be respectful. Don't show up in full moto gear hooting and hollering. That isn't going to be of any help.
Thank you for adding in the address and time, i forgot that in the main post. Hope you can make it out! Thank you for the support.
huck
10/28/2014 6:45am
Kinetic1 wrote:
Meeting is Monday November 10th at 6:00PM. at 50 E V W Ave, Vicksburg, MI 49097 Be there if you can but remember to be respectful...

Yep!! I was going to say...don't go in there 'guns blazing'...go in and be respectful. Try and work out a time that will 'work' for everybody.... "we won't ride early in the morning, or after sunset....our normal times will be 10:00 - 4:00"...will go a long ways, compared to "this is our land, fuck you!".

Even if the later is correct!
10/28/2014 11:09am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2014 11:16am
Man this is a bummer, I feel so bad for that kid. Last week, when I heard what this guy did for his son, I thought it was awesome. It's a shame that some people can't tolerate a little noise and feel entitled to determine what other people can do with their own property. We live in a society, other people are going to make noise and have fun. If it bothers some folks so much to see other people enjoying themselves, maybe it is they who need to change and learn to live with others. These people always seem to be the ones that preach tolerance, when they have little themselves.
(Steps of soapbox)
msp138
10/28/2014 11:41am
dboivin wrote:
good luck, these almost never go well. was involved with a battle in harrison and then now there is a battle in indian river over the...
good luck, these almost never go well. was involved with a battle in harrison and then now there is a battle in indian river over the same stuff. once you get one bad apple roundng up the troops against you every tree hugger in the state coming out to fight you. their goal will be to run you out of money defending yourself.
I know of the case in Harrison pretty well since I spend a lot of time at my family's cabin up there. Even being a self made multimillionaire and the money he made from logging the land he lost everything. Michigan motomania got shut down the guy lost his bank account even with half the towns approval of the track. Such a shitty situation considering he was helping bringing revenue to a small town. Harrison needs all the help it can get. To the OP good luck I hope it works out good.
moco
10/28/2014 11:51am
How do leaf blowers pass sound ordinances when bikes do not?
Could you work that into a defense?

How can you fail this sound test when it hasn't been ridden? Is there some kind of counter suit you could launch Along the lines of harassment?

You could also use up a lot of the towns resources. Possibly an approach like that could have them view your side more favourably?
JW269
10/28/2014 11:56am Edited Date/Time 10/28/2014 11:57am
moco wrote:
How do leaf blowers pass sound ordinances when bikes do not? Could you work that into a defense? How can you fail this sound test when...
How do leaf blowers pass sound ordinances when bikes do not?
Could you work that into a defense?

How can you fail this sound test when it hasn't been ridden? Is there some kind of counter suit you could launch Along the lines of harassment?

You could also use up a lot of the towns resources. Possibly an approach like that could have them view your side more favourably?
From all the information I have heard, the owner received a complaint letter from the township before tires had touched the track. The track has been minimally ridden since.

This track is also across the road from a corn field. A tractor is running a lot longer and louder than a couple bikes on a track. Are these both not normal noises in the country?
dboivin
10/28/2014 3:00pm
dboivin wrote:
good luck, these almost never go well. was involved with a battle in harrison and then now there is a battle in indian river over the...
msp138 wrote:
I know of the case in Harrison pretty well since I spend a lot of time at my family's cabin up there. Even being a self...
I know of the case in Harrison pretty well since I spend a lot of time at my family's cabin up there. Even being a self made multimillionaire and the money he made from logging the land he lost everything. Michigan motomania got shut down the guy lost his bank account even with half the towns approval of the track. Such a shitty situation considering he was helping bringing revenue to a small town. Harrison needs all the help it can get. To the OP good luck I hope it works out good.
yeah doug had a lot into that and it cost him dearly from what i understand. I rode there a few times trying to support him and his venture. I never understood it, its those communities that need it the most that shoot themselves in the foot over and over.
10/28/2014 3:45pm
Calling all Schoolcraft Twp, Kalamazoo, MI residents and residents of the surrounding area...if you care about your rights as a property owner and/or if you are a sports enthusiast, particularly motorsports (dirt bike riding and racing..."motocross") then my family urges you to join us and support ALL property owners by attending the Schoolcraft Township board meeting on November 10, at 6:00pm, located at 50 E VW Ave, Vicksburg, MI 49097. Unfortunately, we have a few "concerned" neighbors that are trying all they can to keep our son from riding his dirt bike on our 14.2 acres of God's green earth.
10/28/2014 3:47pm
And thank you all for your words of advice, support and concern...our sport is dying because we do not mobilize strategically to "combat" those that would rather see us non-existent and/or classify us as "abnormal".
10/28/2014 3:56pm
JW269...you are correct...day 2 of the three day build is when we began getting visits at our house from township authorities...the following day of the build (before our son even had a chance to ride it) we received a notice to cease and desist riding on the track and that we were ordered to "return the property to its original state".

Soil and Erosion permit in hand...our sport is "dying" as a result of our inability to bring the sport to life in the public eye...we (my son and the sport) was classified as "abnormal" recreational activity and thus is not an authorized "accessory use" of our property...14.2 acres of God's green earth.

Visit my facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/curtis.j.allen to view photos and show your support for property rights, the sport of motocross...and ultimately, our 11 year old son, Trevor Allen.
10/28/2014 4:33pm
Calling all Schoolcraft Twp, Kalamazoo, MI residents and residents of the surrounding area...if you care about your rights as a property owner and/or if you are...
Calling all Schoolcraft Twp, Kalamazoo, MI residents and residents of the surrounding area...if you care about your rights as a property owner and/or if you are a sports enthusiast, particularly motorsports (dirt bike riding and racing..."motocross") then my family urges you to join us and support ALL property owners by attending the Schoolcraft Township board meeting on November 10, at 6:00pm, located at 50 E VW Ave, Vicksburg, MI 49097. Unfortunately, we have a few "concerned" neighbors that are trying all they can to keep our son from riding his dirt bike on our 14.2 acres of God's green earth.
I am from battle creek, and plan on being there with quite a few people with me from the kalamazoo area as well. Such an awesome looking track!
Cygnus
10/28/2014 5:12pm Edited Date/Time 10/28/2014 5:13pm
Damn this deal sucks. Hope ya can at least work out a time schedule when you can use the track. So tough to do anything with moto east of the Mississippi. ( except fl.)
Jack mehoff
10/28/2014 7:15pm
You need to ask the tree huggers would they rather have 20 nitro burning tractors out there at 1500 hundred horse power using it as a all week tune up for the big shin ding Saturday night , they have two choices little dirt bike noise or I can roll in some portable night lights and till the land untill that forclose on there house because no one going to buy it with all that farming going on next door ,there other thing they love on a breezy night is chicken shit I would be bye ing it by the tractor trailer load working it into the ground , hey it's ag use
huck
10/28/2014 7:41pm
Contact the AMA, isn't this what we pay for?
JustMX
10/28/2014 8:07pm
Tell them.you will be happy to tear the track down and do what you really wanted to to begin with..... That you have always wanted to have some commercial grade chicken houses and in your best Robert Duvall voice say " I just love the smell of chicken litter in the morning, it smells like.................shit". And add 24/7/365

Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
10/28/2014 8:32pm
JustMX wrote:
Tell them.you will be happy to tear the track down and do what you really wanted to to begin with..... That you have always wanted to...
Tell them.you will be happy to tear the track down and do what you really wanted to to begin with..... That you have always wanted to have some commercial grade chicken houses and in your best Robert Duvall voice say " I just love the smell of chicken litter in the morning, it smells like.................shit". And add 24/7/365

Lol,

My buddy got into it with his neighbor, ended up putting quite a few hogs in a fenced in area along the property line.Evil

It was bad. . . hahahaSick
Old-Man
10/28/2014 9:10pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2014 10:12am
One of the hardest hit States by Economics in the last 8 years was Michigan. Get AMA to give you Membership details on rider membership in your area then a broader rage membership to Ohio, Indiana, Penn, Illinois to give the committee details on what the potential of the Economic impact could generate for the city of Vicksburg, MI

To get the attention of the "Tree Huggers" let the folks know "The Plan is" to have Boy Scout camps, School camps, Halloween maze and such. Use your imagination as to what things per season can be run to "Help the area economic status"

Go on saying your not here to create hardship on nearby neighbors rather create a safe harbor for youngsters to go and become part of something that may intrigue them to do more with their life than just Video games, Pop and chips.

Good Luck, Your going to need it.....One friggen Ornery Neighbor can end a ship from sailin but if you win the town over then your the next Mayor
bsharkey
10/28/2014 9:12pm
its amazing that people can be so bored that they have nothing better to do than complain. a friend of ours recently settled a lawsuit over bushes he took out that were on his property when he rebuilt his house. the neighbor next door was suing for 216,000 and ended up getting $65000!!!!! for effing bushes that were not even on his property. people are pathetic anymore
Racerx930
10/28/2014 9:21pm
Things I've learned while dealing with this same issue putting in our 30 acre commercial moto facility.

Approaching this reasonable and hoping to reach some type of compromise won't work. Our neighboring property owner requested a meeting with us and our attorneys saying they hoped to reach a "Reasonable compromise". Our issue is we're open 2 to 3 days a month, there was nothing more I could compromise. Not that compromising would have done any good, all they really wanted to do was tell us what horrible people we are. I've made the statement before that maybe I should have started out by putting up lights and running 7 days a week, then we could have compromised to where we're at now.

The noise just happens to be the issue that they feel will help them win their case, the reality is they just don't like the idea of what you're doing.

Saying the track was used as part of our income and not private actually seems to help. A judge is more likely to put an injuction against someone participating in their hobby than they are them making a living.

Our property was out of city limits, unzoned, and next to several businesses you would consider loud or eye sores. Paintball field, concert arena, and junk yard.

We've had petty small claims suits filed against us, all which we've won.

Our one problem neighbor actually somewhat threw in the flag and made the statement "I'd be willing to buy the damn thing to make it go away". A deal was negotiated and contracts were signed. We were never paid and are open to this day. Now the tables have been turned and they will be getting papers any day for a breach of contract suit.

I found the peoples web page that were suing us, They have a business related to Friesan horses. Her Bio on the page mentions how she had been involved with these horses since she was 5 years old and how much she loves passing on her hobby to the next generation. This is pretty much my exact story, just revolving around motorcycles. I would think someone could have some respect for that situation but that's just not how it is.
10/28/2014 9:32pm
If you're allowing people to ride the facility explain in the town meeting your bringing business to the area.

Can you call the AMA, they're for fighting for our rights and places to ride. Possibly they could offer assistance? (Might be a long shot, but I would call them) Would be excellent if a few AMA representatives showed up at that town hall meeting to explain the benefits of having a riding facility in their area.
Muezh
10/29/2014 7:18am
dboivin wrote:
Thats exactly what happened to our track in Irish Hills. One, yes ONE guy rounded up all the neighbors and the twp folk and almost shut us down completely.
Keep in mind the track has been there since the 1970s.
Noise was the complaint.
And this was back in the 2stroke days when bikes were quiet compared to 4 strokes.

Good Luck Curtis.

Post a reply to: Michigan track needs your help!

The Latest