MXGP Question...

Big Lenny
Edited Date/Time 8/18/2014 1:48pm
After watching the GP's on TV and seeing some of the tracks/pics and scenery posted here, why would a young MX'er not want to spend a couple or years racing across the pond for a World Title?..You only live once, right?..
|
philG
4/22/2014 10:46am
Because very few Americans cope well being outside the USA ..... Racing in a different country is awesome , at any level, and unless you do it, you just don't experience the best the sport had to offer.
Lamecake
4/22/2014 11:00am
You might get beaten by some euros and get flamed by some vitards! Laughing

Lots of respect to the riders that do give it a go! Hope Covington can find his groove soon. (probably won't find it at Valkenswaard Silly )
hillbilly
4/22/2014 11:02am
Big Lenny wrote:
After watching the GP's on TV and seeing some of the tracks/pics and scenery posted here, why would a young MX'er not want to spend a...
After watching the GP's on TV and seeing some of the tracks/pics and scenery posted here, why would a young MX'er not want to spend a couple or years racing across the pond for a World Title?..You only live once, right?..
If you go over there and struggle,be harder get a ride here with the taint.
PressPassP
4/22/2014 11:06am Edited Date/Time 4/22/2014 11:15am
Covington's not gonna regret it whatever happens,not so much pressure this year,hope he's taking it all in and it inspires more to try it,Osbourne;s a good example too,getting a Geico deal

The Shop

DC
4/22/2014 11:09am
And then there's that thing you have been working your whole life towards: supercross. It's pretty much non-existent over there.

Never underestimate the importance of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross tour in the eyes of a young athlete. Combine the experience, rewards and exposure of that with outdoor motocross and you have quite a compelling career path for kids who grew up worshipping Jeremy McGrath more than Joel Robert.

DC
MX Sports
kongols
4/22/2014 11:12am Edited Date/Time 4/22/2014 11:13am
DC wrote:
And then there's that thing you have been working your whole life towards: supercross. It's pretty much non-existent over there. Never underestimate the importance of the...
And then there's that thing you have been working your whole life towards: supercross. It's pretty much non-existent over there.

Never underestimate the importance of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross tour in the eyes of a young athlete. Combine the experience, rewards and exposure of that with outdoor motocross and you have quite a compelling career path for kids who grew up worshipping Jeremy McGrath more than Joel Robert.

DC
MX Sports
What a man said. Most everyone want to give SX a shot.
PressPassP
4/22/2014 11:31am
DC wrote:
And then there's that thing you have been working your whole life towards: supercross. It's pretty much non-existent over there. Never underestimate the importance of the...

DC
MX Sports
Do you think Zach would've done better had he stayed at home?

Personally I think he might well have struggled a bit and could be looking at privateer rides by now whereas he might stand a better chance nowadays?
Titan1
4/22/2014 11:39am
Maybe all the up and coming American riders needed to make the GP's more appealing is a little TV coverage of the races?

From the sounds of a few posts here since they've been on TV in America...just those broadcasts have changed a lot of peoples opinions about them...no reason to thing an up and coming amateur (or their parents) won't watch those races and have a change of mind about them.

That, and Herlings and Cairoli smoking the American riders the past two MXdN's is helping a ton too...the argument that the GP's are a B series no longer holds water (when Herlings and Cairoli retire, then it will be though).
DL
4/22/2014 12:08pm
As a father of a rider that spent two years over there I can tell you that there are many pros and cons to consider. The biggest factor imho is that you live in an area or with a team where english is spoken. On the business side you can't count on things that are said and in the case of my son even a 32 page contract wasn't good enough. Traveling and seeing the world is certainly wonderful but what you don't know is some of the places they go to are very depressed. Some other negatives to consider is how difficult it is to practice. Tracks are few and far away and the weather is bad much of the time. Like DC said most racers want to race SX and with the latest MXGP race schedules there is to much overlap to do both.
DC
4/22/2014 12:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2014 12:26pm
Press,
It was a great move for Zach to go to Europe, just as I think this is the right move for Covington at this point in his career. Zach had been racing pro for three years to that point and guys he started with -- Villopoto, Dungey, Grant, Canard -- were moving up the ranks without him. The change of pace, the new responsibilities, the life experiences all helped make him a better rider (he was already a really good person).

Covington needs more time, and he has a unique opportunity to get that right now in Europe. He will also come back a better rider, and with a whole bunch of new life and racing experiences.

My point of the first post was that we as fans can sit here and talk about how great it would be to travel the world and race on different circuits and different countries every weekend, but to a teenager with a shot at a pro motocross career, they see it all much differently -- they want to race at Anaheim, not Uddevella. The lure of the jam-packed crowds, the TV coverage, the money, the lifestyle, it all adds up as a pretty amazing challenge.

Let me put it in another sport's terms: probably every top football (soccer here) prospect grows up wanting to play in Europe as a professional. I can't imagine a soccer-playing kid with world-class potential would choose the New York Red Bulls over a shot with Barcelona. Maybe at the beginning or end of their career, like Beckham or Henry, but not at their peak. They want to play at Barcelona or Real Madrid, Manchester or Arsenal... It's so much bigger, and they are so many more chances to play and get paid, and that's what they see growing up.

Now think about what SX/MX in America must look like to a young rider.

(EDIT: For what it's worth, I grew up wanting to be like Heikki Mikkola and race at places like Namur, Farleigh Castle, Sittendorf... I was lucky enough to get to do some races in Austria, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and it was a great experience, no doubt. I just think things are different now, as the growth of supercross since the eighties is a huge reason.)

DC
MX Sports
jtomasik
4/22/2014 12:16pm

I wouldn't want to go, either.
philG
4/22/2014 12:29pm
Osborne wasn't your typical US rider IMO, he got in with Steve Dixon , who is a great guy, and puts out top equipment , and it gave him a chance to try and make a name that he wasn't going to make in the US, not because he wasn't good enough, but the fact that he came through with such a strong group of riders .
He raced a few meetings I commentated on,and raced a few twin shock races too, I think his temperament was similar to the likes of. Schmidt , Moore. Etc .. which leads me to ask have any true west coast racers come to GP,s .. I m sure Lackey was SoCal based , but what about Moore , Schmidt , vohland, Parlker, , I think the are mostly southern and mid west guys.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
4/22/2014 12:29pm
jtomasik wrote:
[img]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LIl5ocv-aso/THAaHpvYtzI/AAAAAAAAAm8/BgACQtWl-rY/s1600/2911073763_cb4c44de13.jpg[/img] I wouldn't want to go, either.

Europe's women beat ours hands down...... much fitter on average. Spanish girls good god are they hot and don't even get me started on the Scandinavian beauties. The flip side of this would be a fat hog in front if McDonalds in 'Merica I hope all Euros don't think all of our women look like that.
Big Lenny
4/22/2014 12:31pm
DC wrote:
Press, It was a great move for Zach to go to Europe, just as I think this is the right move for Covington at this point...
Press,
It was a great move for Zach to go to Europe, just as I think this is the right move for Covington at this point in his career. Zach had been racing pro for three years to that point and guys he started with -- Villopoto, Dungey, Grant, Canard -- were moving up the ranks without him. The change of pace, the new responsibilities, the life experiences all helped make him a better rider (he was already a really good person).

Covington needs more time, and he has a unique opportunity to get that right now in Europe. He will also come back a better rider, and with a whole bunch of new life and racing experiences.

My point of the first post was that we as fans can sit here and talk about how great it would be to travel the world and race on different circuits and different countries every weekend, but to a teenager with a shot at a pro motocross career, they see it all much differently -- they want to race at Anaheim, not Uddevella. The lure of the jam-packed crowds, the TV coverage, the money, the lifestyle, it all adds up as a pretty amazing challenge.

Let me put it in another sport's terms: probably every top football (soccer here) prospect grows up wanting to play in Europe as a professional. I can't imagine a soccer-playing kid with world-class potential would choose the New York Red Bulls over a shot with Barcelona. Maybe at the beginning or end of their career, like Beckham or Henry, but not at their peak. They want to play at Barcelona or Real Madrid, Manchester or Arsenal... It's so much bigger, and they are so many more chances to play and get paid, and that's what they see growing up.

(EDIT: For what it's worth, I grew up wanting to be like Heikki Mikkola and race at places like Namur, Farleigh Castle, Sittendorf... I was lucky enough to get to do some races in Austria, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and it was a great experience, no doubt. I just think things are different now, as the growth of supercross since the eighties is a huge reason.)

DC
MX Sports
I see your point and I agree, it's just that I'm kinda old school and back in the day getting to see championship rounds run over here I always wondered how cool it would be to be called "World Champion" with multiple titles like Roger/Robert and company..The recent TV coverage kinda renewed my interest in GP's...
jtomasik
4/22/2014 12:34pm
Park Boys wrote:
Europe's women beat ours hands down...... much fitter on average. Spanish girls good god are they hot and don't even get me started on the Scandinavian...
Europe's women beat ours hands down...... much fitter on average. Spanish girls good god are they hot and don't even get me started on the Scandinavian beauties. The flip side of this would be a fat hog in front if McDonalds in 'Merica I hope all Euros don't think all of our women look like that.
It was just a joke. Relax.
DC
4/22/2014 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2014 12:51pm
Lenny, I have been watching all of the GP races for years online, and I really enjoy them too. I have been to the last five or six MXoN races. While I don't put as much stock into the MXoN results -- whether it's win or lose for the Americans -- as some on here do, I have seen Cairoli and Herlings and Paulin and of course Roczen put on stunning performances. The top guys on either side of the pond are very comparable outdoors, which maybe explains why Tomac won the outdoor title but Roczen won the MX2 four times in a row now!
But bad luck and crashes (and sand) haven't been going our way lately. I don't think we're getting any slower, but as a team we just haven't been getting it done the last two times (which coincide with RV not going, but that's racing.)

I don't get why it always breaks down to U.S. against them, but it makes the between-races-waiting somewhat tolerable!

DC
MX Sports
philG
4/22/2014 12:48pm
jtomasik wrote:
[img]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LIl5ocv-aso/THAaHpvYtzI/AAAAAAAAAm8/BgACQtWl-rY/s1600/2911073763_cb4c44de13.jpg[/img] I wouldn't want to go, either.

I have seen loads of naked euro chicks lately , and they ain't hairy like that any more..
jtomasik
4/22/2014 12:53pm
philG wrote:
I have seen loads of naked euro chicks lately , and they ain't hairy like that any more..
I have family in Slovakia, and damn....some of the women there.....BEAUTIFUL! Trouble is they're bat-shit emotional crazy like every other woman on the planet. That estrogen is common to the female all over the planet....lol.
PressPassP
4/22/2014 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2014 1:04pm
DC wrote:
Press, It was a great move for Zach to go to Europe, just as I think this is the right move for Covington at this point...
Press,

DC
MX Sports
Point taken,I totally agree with guys over there looking to the bright lights of SX,it's the natural thing to do for upcoming American kids and amateur racers,their not looking to MXGP as their ultimate path

You've also elaborated on Zach's example more than I needed to,it was no doubt the right thing to do at the time,a British team is a big plus,you know the banter that goes on! Rides were maybe taken and would have been for a while,now those riders you mention and more have moved on and things opened up, he's gone back home to a great team,although he's a few years older,just as Covington will be,making it is making it at the end of the day
philG
4/22/2014 1:02pm
We had a Slovakian au pair , mad as a box of frogs. euro chicks are seriously nice , worth the trip alone.... MXoN in Latvia will be off the hook
jtomasik
4/22/2014 1:07pm
philG wrote:
We had a Slovakian au pair , mad as a box of frogs. euro chicks are seriously nice , worth the trip alone.... MXoN in Latvia...
We had a Slovakian au pair , mad as a box of frogs. euro chicks are seriously nice , worth the trip alone.... MXoN in Latvia will be off the hook
Planning a trip to Italy and places east (Slovakia's one of them) next year, so I hope to get a sample first-hand. Anyway, I'm tired of the talk of guys going over there and racing, and I'm sure the Euros are tired of watching their greats skip town and come here to race. I still say share 6 races between the series, that way we get the best on the planet.
philG
4/22/2014 1:20pm
We get to see it all now, I don't mind either way, Roczen is doing us proud, and I can watch SX live, watched MXGP in a field on my phone on Sunday , as long as the racing is good, I don't care.

We test in Italy over Easter , it's a cool place , way of life there is beyond laid back, Slovakia, Bulgaria and Czech Republic are cool, we might do a race there if the flight pan out right
jtomasik
4/22/2014 1:28pm
philG wrote:
We get to see it all now, I don't mind either way, Roczen is doing us proud, and I can watch SX live, watched MXGP in...
We get to see it all now, I don't mind either way, Roczen is doing us proud, and I can watch SX live, watched MXGP in a field on my phone on Sunday , as long as the racing is good, I don't care.

We test in Italy over Easter , it's a cool place , way of life there is beyond laid back, Slovakia, Bulgaria and Czech Republic are cool, we might do a race there if the flight pan out right
Personally, I would've rather seen Cairoli and Villopoto battle head to head. No offense to Roczen. And, if it had been going on for years, RC vs. Everts 6 times a year would've been a fuggin' blast.
JonnyDH84
4/22/2014 1:30pm
But do you guys think zach has benefited from going back home yes he got the geico bike but does he really have what it takes to be a champ ? He was highly thought of in gp's he could have made something of himself in the worlds. I know theres the being at home element but it seemed as though he adapted really well.
JonnyDH84
4/22/2014 1:34pm
philG wrote:
We had a Slovakian au pair , mad as a box of frogs. euro chicks are seriously nice , worth the trip alone.... MXoN in Latvia...
jtomasik wrote:
Planning a trip to Italy and places east (Slovakia's one of them) next year, so I hope to get a sample first-hand. Anyway, I'm tired of...
Planning a trip to Italy and places east (Slovakia's one of them) next year, so I hope to get a sample first-hand. Anyway, I'm tired of the talk of guys going over there and racing, and I'm sure the Euros are tired of watching their greats skip town and come here to race. I still say share 6 races between the series, that way we get the best on the planet.
Even having one American round would be better its a world championship so why not go to america like f1 motogp etc do.
jamma10
4/22/2014 1:39pm
DC - you need to get yourself over to the Vets MXdN at Farleigh one of these years! You would love it and I'm sure Dave King (+ the rest of us) would be more than happy to have you attend.
DC
4/22/2014 1:43pm
Jamma, Dave invites me every year and I have heard from Ryno and Burner and Lechien that it's just an amazing event... Someday soon, but I will have to get my butt in shape and get drafted onto Rory O'Neil's Team International Air Hammer first!

DC
MX Sports
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/22/2014 1:46pm
JonnyDH84 wrote:
Even having one American round would be better its a world championship so why not go to america like f1 motogp etc do.
Fan interest was terrible the last couple times here. Even at Glen Helen. There was good racing, works bikes, and we had a great time checking out. But there was almost zero interest. It'll be interesting to see how the crowd compares this year when the National lines up there.
4/22/2014 1:47pm
jtomasik wrote:

yep that 3rd eye its a Debbie downer fo shu' ....
Titan1
4/22/2014 1:52pm
JonnyDH84 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Fan interest was terrible the last couple times here. Even at Glen Helen. There was good racing, works bikes, and we had a great time checking...
Fan interest was terrible the last couple times here. Even at Glen Helen. There was good racing, works bikes, and we had a great time checking out. But there was almost zero interest. It'll be interesting to see how the crowd compares this year when the National lines up there.
I think watching the races on TV here in the states is opening A LOT of eyes to the true reality of the GP's (look how many people on his board they've won over)...so the TV package AND if they would actually promote the darn race here...I could see fan interest going way up compared to the last one.

Post a reply to: MXGP Question...

The Latest