I'm Settling This Debate.

Motodave15
Edited Date/Time 2/16/2014 11:23am
Once and for all.

Keeps coming up on Racer X's website, and various other ones.

JOJO KELLER DID NOT INVENT THE SCRUB!!! ......."The Great one" did 259

If he did, o'show, fyling freckel's, mike "too tall bale", "hollywood", "Golden boy", "Hurricane" would all have been scrubbing over everything.

It's really a kicked out buttwhip, Kinda like "DDAVI'S" nothing more. and if anybody has proof of more riders doing that back then, I want to see pictures. Not hearsay

|
ocscottie
5/16/2013 2:48pm
Doesnt even matter who "invented" it or "did it first" James not only "raised the bar" he made it a game changer...period!

...and anyone who think differently is smoking crack Blink
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
5/16/2013 3:06pm
About a split second after the Bubba pic was shot he snapped the bars back to the left and would be a mirror image to the JoJo pic, less the open face helmet and goon goggle strap.
peelout
5/16/2013 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2013 3:08pm
@motoddavis, got your ball-bag eye-shades on this afternoon i see

The Shop

5/16/2013 3:30pm
Motodave15 wrote:
Once and for all. Keeps coming up on Racer X's website, and various other ones. JOJO KELLER DID NOT INVENT THE SCRUB!!! ......."The Great one" did...
Once and for all.

If he did, o'show, fyling freckel's, mike "too tall bale", "hollywood", "Golden boy", "Hurricane" would all have been scrubbing over everything.

It's really a kicked out buttwhip, Kinda like "DDAVI'S" nothing more. and if anybody has proof of more riders doing that back then, I want to see pictures. Not hearsay

Gary Bailey taught that in 1976.
Far from settled.....
5/16/2013 4:54pm
GrapeApe wrote:
About a split second after the Bubba pic was shot he snapped the bars back to the left and would be a mirror image to the...
About a split second after the Bubba pic was shot he snapped the bars back to the left and would be a mirror image to the JoJo pic, less the open face helmet and goon goggle strap.
Was he pulling the same face?
czernik
5/16/2013 6:40pm
ocscottie wrote:
Doesnt even matter who "invented" it or "did it first" James not only "raised the bar" he made it a game changer...period! ...and [i]anyone[/i] who think...
Doesnt even matter who "invented" it or "did it first" James not only "raised the bar" he made it a game changer...period!

...and anyone who think differently is smoking crack Blink
done deal....Jame's went fast and everybody had to step it up...watched him practice in Paris Tenn. before schoolboy at LL...all the riders where there and watched him...the class was won by Jame's before the gate dropped at the Ranch...
THE_NOOB
5/16/2013 6:46pm
For a Guy who hasn't won a Championship since 2009, this James is the Fastest guy to ever ride a Dirt bike is hilarious. Ricky Carmichael beat him for 4 straight AMA championships and lapped Bubba in one race and was consistently faster outdoors. Ryan Villopoto beat Bubba easily this year and had Faster Main even lap times then Bubba almost all Year. RV is riding a Dirt bike Faster than ANYONE has in History right nowSmile

NP301
5/16/2013 6:47pm
THE_NOOB wrote:
For a Guy who hasn't won a Championship since 2009, this James is the Fastest guy to ever ride a Dirt bike is hilarious. Ricky Carmichael...
For a Guy who hasn't won a Championship since 2009, this James is the Fastest guy to ever ride a Dirt bike is hilarious. Ricky Carmichael beat him for 4 straight AMA championships and lapped Bubba in one race and was consistently faster outdoors. Ryan Villopoto beat Bubba easily this year and had Faster Main even lap times then Bubba almost all Year. RV is riding a Dirt bike Faster than ANYONE has in History right nowSmile

czernik
5/16/2013 6:50pm
Poto is the best!!! ,but before then when it all changed bubba was the one who was more daring and creative as an amateur...Poto was awesome also but didnt beat Allessi at the big ones..
Crush
5/16/2013 6:50pm
GrapeApe wrote:
About a split second after the Bubba pic was shot he snapped the bars back to the left and would be a mirror image to the...
I agree... each photo here tells a certain story, but really i've seen people scrubbing so many different ways...

James did make it common practice tho, it was becoming necessary to be able to do it when needed, but it seems 4 strokes have dialed back how often the guys do it...
TDeath21
5/16/2013 7:35pm
Stewart definitely took it to the next level, but the basic concept and idea had been around forever.
Motodave15
5/16/2013 7:55pm
dirtnapper wrote:
Wayne Gretzky was The Great One.

Dumbass OP.
I know that cocknocker! But that's hockey. And this is moto!

So until some other rider changes the way riders ride. Im calling stewy "The Great one"
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
5/16/2013 9:23pm
I watched pro's in the late 80's go over the "Chuck Sun" jump at Washougal, they would whip it but what the "great one" started was a whole new level of saving time which every pro now does on every jump possible.
Crush
5/16/2013 9:29pm
Not to be a dick, but the great one?

James has had some nicknames, that is not one of them
5/16/2013 9:32pm
I'm pretty sure McGrath started this saving time over jumps business...he applied his BMX skills to MX and revolutionize the sport...McGrath is our GREAT ONE...not JS
5/16/2013 9:33pm
GrapeApe wrote:
But Kellers rear tire is almost as far forward as his front tire. Stewart's bike is still going straight forward. They're too different moves. Keller was just doing a sweet cross up.
Crush
5/16/2013 9:38pm
Who is the video that GrapeApe is talking about... and he's right... at the end of it could be the same... without video of JoJo you could argue he's doing all sorts of things and could be at a similar stage to the last parts of Stewarts

Motodave15
5/16/2013 9:56pm
909empire wrote:
I'm pretty sure McGrath started this saving time over jumps business...he applied his BMX skills to MX and revolutionize the sport...McGrath is our GREAT ONE...not JS
Mcgrath is "The king" Get your shit straight son!

Rc- "The Goat" - still debateable
james "FMOTP" nope- I'm saying "The great one", Reason being, He changed the way people raced, Hes fast as shit and is always expected to win, so hence forth "The Great one"
5/16/2013 10:09pm
909empire wrote:
Motodave15 wrote:
Mcgrath is "The king" Get your shit straight son! Rc- "The Goat" - still debateable james "FMOTP" nope- I'm saying "The great one", Reason being, He...

james "FMOTP" nope- I'm saying "The great one", Reason being, He changed the way people raced, Hes fast as shit and is always expected to win, so hence forth "The Great one"
Just curious about something....
If your "settling" this debate, why are we 20+ post in?
Crush
5/16/2013 10:30pm
JS will always be Bubba to me... and i'd imagine, MOST mx fans
dirtnapper
5/16/2013 11:14pm
909empire wrote:
Motodave15 wrote:
Mcgrath is "The king" Get your shit straight son! Rc- "The Goat" - still debateable james "FMOTP" nope- I'm saying "The great one", Reason being, He...

So hence forth....um, no.

It won't catch on.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
5/16/2013 11:14pm
THE_NOOB wrote:
For a Guy who hasn't won a Championship since 2009, this James is the Fastest guy to ever ride a Dirt bike is hilarious. Ricky Carmichael...

You realize that when you try to make out with RV, he's gonna punch you in the neck right??
dirtnapper
5/16/2013 11:29pm
THE_NOOB wrote:

seth505 wrote:
You realize that when you try to make out with RV, he's gonna punch you in the neck right??
I don't understand this Noob guy. He takes "fanboy" to a waaaaay whole other level.
eb313
5/17/2013 5:12am
Motodave15 wrote:
Once and for all. Keeps coming up on Racer X's website, and various other ones. JOJO KELLER DID NOT INVENT THE SCRUB!!! ......."The Great one" did...
Once and for all.

I find it amusing that you think you have the authority, much less the knowledge, to end this or any other debate. So you have seen a couple of photos of the "old days" and this Jo Jo Keller, but have you even remember when there was 3 classes at the nationals and the MXdN (do you even remember it being called that)? How about 3 motos? How about two 45 minute motos? DO you know why Gatorback was called the "orphan national"? Did you even know there was a national in Florida? Ohio? Well I am tired of typing and you get the jest.

You, my friend, have not settled the issue, you have merely exposed your predispositionas a Bubba fanboy. Thank you and good day
Crush
5/17/2013 5:22am
eb313 wrote:
I find it amusing that you think you have the authority, much less the knowledge, to end this or any other debate. So you have seen...
I find it amusing that you think you have the authority, much less the knowledge, to end this or any other debate. So you have seen a couple of photos of the "old days" and this Jo Jo Keller, but have you even remember when there was 3 classes at the nationals and the MXdN (do you even remember it being called that)? How about 3 motos? How about two 45 minute motos? DO you know why Gatorback was called the "orphan national"? Did you even know there was a national in Florida? Ohio? Well I am tired of typing and you get the jest.

You, my friend, have not settled the issue, you have merely exposed your predispositionas a Bubba fanboy. Thank you and good day
owned! haha
Brent
5/17/2013 11:15am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2013 11:24am
eb313 wrote:
I find it amusing that you think you have the authority, much less the knowledge, to end this or any other debate. So you have seen...

I dont think I have ever seen the speed scrub on purpose from any national or GP racer before Stewart.

Little Stewart story - December 2001 we were out at Saddleback 2 (RIP) on a saturday practice day, I dont think James had raced a national or Supercross yet, but he brought activity at that track to a screeching halt while he put on a scrub clinic on the Vet Track - other riders pulled over mid-track to watch him throw that move on the big jump on the screaming KX125, people were shaking their heads on how was that even possible?

I had never seen anything like it before, and I've been in this sport since 75. I cant remember any racer doing it the way James Stewart does it, doing it before he did it.

BTW I do know the answers to your random Jody Weisel trivia but im not sure if it means anything as it relates to who "invented" the scrub.
JJ4
5/17/2013 1:58pm
Brent wrote:
I dont think I have ever seen the speed scrub on purpose from any national or GP racer before Stewart. Little Stewart story - December 2001...
I dont think I have ever seen the speed scrub on purpose from any national or GP racer before Stewart.

Little Stewart story - December 2001 we were out at Saddleback 2 (RIP) on a saturday practice day, I dont think James had raced a national or Supercross yet, but he brought activity at that track to a screeching halt while he put on a scrub clinic on the Vet Track - other riders pulled over mid-track to watch him throw that move on the big jump on the screaming KX125, people were shaking their heads on how was that even possible?

I had never seen anything like it before, and I've been in this sport since 75. I cant remember any racer doing it the way James Stewart does it, doing it before he did it.

BTW I do know the answers to your random Jody Weisel trivia but im not sure if it means anything as it relates to who "invented" the scrub.
I agree. I would go over to the Elsinore vet track (in this vid) every now and then and rode on it many times in this configuration. After seeing Bubba do this on it I was completely blown away!

http://youtu.be/NLleaWwbVIM
eb313
5/17/2013 10:38pm
eb313 wrote:

Brent wrote:
I dont think I have ever seen the speed scrub on purpose from any national or GP racer before Stewart. Little Stewart story - December 2001...

The issue in question is who can be rightfully acknowledged as the inventor of the scrub, your 1975 trumps my memory by a couple of years but I do remember screaming Bultacos and watching Mike Bell rip it up at Carlsbad on the Wide World of Sports. I doubt that anyone can honestly question or object to the statement that Bubba refined, perfected, and made commonplace the scrub but it would be dishonest to say he invented it. Maybe he had never seen Jo Jo perform it but that still doesn't negate the fact that it was done (and not on some random ocassion) prior to James Stewart's head turning, double taking, and down right game changing adaptation of it. I must add that Trey Canard has thrown down some amazing examples of perfection in the area of gnarley scrubs, if I might be as bold as to say..........

Post a reply to: I'm Settling This Debate.

The Latest