Hand guards with Renthal Twinwalls

Stevo227
Edited Date/Time 8/18/2020 6:44pm
I was curious as to those who ride with Renthal Twinwalls, what type of hand guards do you run or recommend? I really like the Cycra hand guards, but cant seem to fit the guards on the bars very well. I ride a 2018 yz450F and with the kill switch, start button on the left and electric start button on the right side, along with the step in the bar that Twinwalls have it doesn't leave much room. I ended up putting the start button in the middle of the bar since I never use it, but its still tough.

I recently saw KTM/Huskys hand guards that mount to the clutch/brake bolt that goes through the lever. Seems like a good design and doesn't take up space on the bar.

Any insight or recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks!
|
rbm33
Fantasy
1947th
8/18/2020 7:13am
Check out the Composite Moto Roost Deflector from Enduro Engineering...
Tuna
8/18/2020 9:16am
rbm33 wrote:
Check out the Composite Moto Roost Deflector from Enduro Engineering...
Man they snap like twigs. I have two sets of the original aluminum model that I am hoarding and running with Cycra Stealth Shields. Can no longer find a source for the plastic piece that runs along the guard portion .

Johnny Ringo
8/18/2020 9:19am
On the YZF I bought the ride engineering kill switch that bolts into the clutch and brake clamps. Works great
Tuna
8/18/2020 9:21am
Stevo227 wrote:
I was curious as to those who ride with Renthal Twinwalls, what type of hand guards do you run or recommend? I really like the Cycra...
I was curious as to those who ride with Renthal Twinwalls, what type of hand guards do you run or recommend? I really like the Cycra hand guards, but cant seem to fit the guards on the bars very well. I ride a 2018 yz450F and with the kill switch, start button on the left and electric start button on the right side, along with the step in the bar that Twinwalls have it doesn't leave much room. I ended up putting the start button in the middle of the bar since I never use it, but its still tough.

I recently saw KTM/Huskys hand guards that mount to the clutch/brake bolt that goes through the lever. Seems like a good design and doesn't take up space on the bar.

thanks!
The KTM/Husky guards you are talking about break and the whole set up is useless.
The Cycra Rebound guards are not bad, my buddies set are holding up well. Cycra stealth DX with the alloy mounts really hold up great and take up very little space.
https://cycra.com/product-category/products/handguards/independent-moun…

The Shop

LungButter
8/18/2020 9:30am
Tuna wrote:
The KTM/Husky guards you are talking about break and the whole set up is useless. The Cycra Rebound guards are not bad, my buddies set are...
The KTM/Husky guards you are talking about break and the whole set up is useless.
The Cycra Rebound guards are not bad, my buddies set are holding up well. Cycra stealth DX with the alloy mounts really hold up great and take up very little space.
I run the KTM/Husky mounts, SXS deflectors and those perch 'things' (clamps? what are they called?) that let my perches spin when I fall. Super bulletproof set up. Over 100 hours on the current ones and not a crack.

Although, this doesn't really help the OP and his YZ problems Tongue
davidgrip
8/18/2020 9:33am
Stevo227 wrote:
I was curious as to those who ride with Renthal Twinwalls, what type of hand guards do you run or recommend? I really like the Cycra...

thanks!
Good Luck! I had that same issue. The clamp area is not long enough to try and fit all the electronics and set your clutch and brake levers in position, and fit hand guards. The factory guys have made oversized bracket/clamps so they can run the electronics on the inside/outer bar. I switched to 7/8 for lever placement, and hand guards. I personal have not had an issue with bars bending. I run Acerbis on all my bikes, and have for years. Protection is better than time off the bike.

Xeno
8/18/2020 10:34am
I deal with this all the time when building off-road bikes. We sell billet start & stop buttons that save space on the bars. Our website has Honda and Kawasaki applications. We can also supply a blue Yamaha version- please contact through our website to order.

LungButter
8/18/2020 10:58am
Xeno wrote:
I deal with this all the time when building off-road bikes. We sell billet start & stop buttons that save space on the bars. Our website...
I deal with this all the time when building off-road bikes. We sell billet start & stop buttons that save space on the bars. Our website has Honda and Kawasaki applications. We can also supply a blue Yamaha version- please contact through our website to order.

Sweet!
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
8/18/2020 1:10pm
I ran a set of shield style hand guards with aluminum mounts like the ones pictured above. Had a minor tip over in a race on the right side. When the shield hit the ground the aluminum mount folded backwards and basically bent into a tight circle the wrapped around the brake lever and pinned it back to the grip leaving the brake locked on. Bike would not move and the aluminum was too strong to bend back by hand. This was in a desert GP style race and I was about 2 or 3 miles from the pits. Luckily, I found an old motor from a window box fan laying in a ditch nearby and used the shaft of the motor as a pry bar to get the brake released enough to ride back. This was how I learned that you really need bark buster style guards for off road racing, LOL.
Tuna
8/18/2020 4:07pm
Tuna wrote:
The KTM/Husky guards you are talking about break and the whole set up is useless. The Cycra Rebound guards are not bad, my buddies set are...
LungButter wrote:
I run the KTM/Husky mounts, SXS deflectors and those perch 'things' (clamps? what are they called?) that let my perches spin when I fall. Super bulletproof...
I run the KTM/Husky mounts, SXS deflectors and those perch 'things' (clamps? what are they called?) that let my perches spin when I fall. Super bulletproof set up. Over 100 hours on the current ones and not a crack.

Although, this doesn't really help the OP and his YZ problems Tongue
Maybe we ride different terrain. Like rocks.
Stevo227
8/18/2020 6:44pm
Xeno wrote:
I deal with this all the time when building off-road bikes. We sell billet start & stop buttons that save space on the bars. Our website...

That looks like it would work perfect and free up space. I will be sending an email your way via the website.

Thanks for the heads up and information.
Stevo227
8/18/2020 6:49pm
Thank y'all for the information. I think the Twinwalls just make it tough in general as far as space goes. I saw somewhere (I believe it was pictured of Barcia's bike a while ago) they had a button cluster on one side that basically had everything. It mounted on the throttle side and had 3 buttons I believe. It would be nice if they came out with something along those lines. If all else fails I might be switching to a 7/8 bar.

Post a reply to: Hand guards with Renthal Twinwalls

The Latest