Building a jump...

level
Posts
6184
Joined
8/27/2006
Location
Acworth, GA, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:59am
I have a motocross track around back someone else built but I want to redo it. Found a few people but nobody is catching on to what I want it to be like. I have a pretty good idea on how to build a jump, table, whoops, rhythm sections, etc., and will probably just rent a dozer if I have to. My question is-is their a website or tutorial on how to properly build a lip or jump. I have searched and searched and can't find anything. I know some will say just hire a professional but I just need to see some additional advice and tips to guide me a little otherwise I'll just wing it and keep shaping it till I get it right I guess.
|
level
Posts
6184
Joined
8/27/2006
Location
Acworth, GA, USA
3/25/2009 8:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:06pm
Found a site that has some good info that looks like pretty much covers it. Guess I just need to get out there and start building and go from there. It may be cheaper and a big time saver if I just hire someone with equipment already though otherwise I will need to rent a loader and a dozer.


http://www.dirtwurx.com/track_tips3.php

rubarb
Posts
2042
Joined
6/12/2007
Location
byda beech, CA, USA
3/25/2009 8:44pm
I know how to build BMX jumps.

I have a few down here in Point Loma.

Pics to follow.
roost251
Posts
501
Joined
3/15/2009
Location
Valentine, AZ, USA
3/25/2009 9:03pm
I use to work for a trackbuilder in CA. You would be surprised not that much math/calculations went into it, not as technical as you think. But then again he knew what he wanted from decades of riding and years of building. this link if the best i have found on the subject. One of the important things is to have a lot of moisture in the dirt when you are working with it. and let the track/jumps dry, then wet them, let them dry/bake and repeat a few times. I think that is the hardest part not riding the track when you are done, but in doing this the jumps/track will last much longer w/ less prep because the jumps/track will be much "harder/baked"

good luck and post some pics when u get done. Looks like i am gonna have to wait another year to build mine :-(, but hey at least i own the land and can ride everyday

http://www.skidlidvideo.com/TrackBuilding/Medsker%20Racing%20College.htm

KMC440
Posts
7764
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
3/25/2009 9:19pm
"Fifth gear wide open, can't go wrong"

The Shop

AMA714
Posts
780
Joined
12/27/2007
Location
San Antonio, TX, USA
3/26/2009 9:54am
Not sure what you have to work with (old track/dirt) or what you are trying to achieve but get a good D4 (my preference) and start pushing dirt. Take your time and get a feel for it with the corners and whoops first, then work your way into jumps. You will get a feel of the right angle/length and height you need for the jump face. Until you get some ass time on the dozer dont rush... you will just have to fix it later.
huck
Posts
17049
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Mountain Home, AR, USA
3/26/2009 10:03am
Trail and error....

Just like a good dozer operator didn't read how to "drive it" in a book, the only true way to learn is to do it.
J.Saunders144
Posts
1216
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
St. Clair, MI, USA
3/26/2009 10:54am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2009 10:56am
I was in the same boat. im only 19 and had a track built when i was 15 by a guy who has built tracks before. well the track became way to easy and beat up so last year I rounded up some equipment (skidsteer with tracks, front end loader, and a 450c dozer) and built it myself. I would consider myself very skilled at running things like this do to my understanding of how the machines worked (being around equipment my whole life) and had zero experience besides a little bobcat before I did this. It turned out amazing and I would deffinantly build up a game plan before you start. walk the property and find the natural drainage paths and utilize them. find areas where you can get dirt from without creating a pond or water back up and where you can actually move the dirt to (you cant push dirt forever stay close to your targets) as for jump building you will realize a ten foot tall pile (at peak) of dirt will turn into around a 5-6ft tall jump if not smaller so you may need to keep adding. If you would like more help just ask me I have some pics of my track on my profile here ill see if i can figure out on how to upload them into the thread. as for angles that comes with knowledge of riding, almost every jump on my track is between 60-80ft and about 8-10ft tall i got the angles right first try just by trusting my instinct, its kind of trial and error and who has the balls to try and launch it first.
J.Saunders144
Posts
1216
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
St. Clair, MI, USA
3/26/2009 10:59am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:06pm



labtop is away for fixing ill have it this weekend i dont know if i can find the rest online ill check as of now this is the only one i can find
peelout719
Posts
2507
Joined
4/30/2008
Location
Ogden, UT, USA
3/26/2009 11:08am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:06pm
never built jumps for a big bike,

but i built a pretty sick 6-pack for my 110 last year... use a lot of water. that was my one downfall, but i didn't have any access to water

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
J.Saunders144
Posts
1216
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
St. Clair, MI, USA
3/26/2009 11:15am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:06pm
Photobucket

track

found these one is before the other in time periods the one with the bigger jumps is how it is now but i have added some whoops and a few doubles inbetween the bigger jumps
J.Saunders144
Posts
1216
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
St. Clair, MI, USA
3/26/2009 11:20am
before i forget avoid a bobcat with tires if you can more of a pain in the ass for finalizing jumps ive had both out there and tracks make your life (what ever more it costs) easier. luckily i have good connectons with equipment though
NB304
Posts
166
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Jackson, MI, USA
3/27/2009 5:41am
i like to start with piles that are 1.5-2 dozer blades wide and about the hight i want the finished jump to be. then i pull the blade all the way up and drive right up and over using the tracks to pack the whole jump down. this also helps get the basic shape because the blade will knock off the top of the pile it is way to steap. then you pile up more dirt and repeat untill its back up to the hight you want and fully packed down. Then back blade the face of the jump to get the desired profile. i can't really give you an exact angle or anything but you will get the feel for it.
bogdan912
Posts
2722
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Estell Manor, NJ, USA
3/27/2009 6:24am
Definitely get something with tracks. Building a good lip is all about the feeling. You should know from riding how it should look and once you build one or two and ride them you'll know what if anything you want to change.
Robmx522
Posts
424
Joined
2/2/2007
Location
Maryville, TN, USA
3/27/2009 7:39am
you got that right most operators can't even read lol
i would know i'm one of them!

Post a reply to: Building a jump...

The Latest