2004 RM250

YZ125H1
Posts
827
Joined
1/31/2012
Location
Elizabethtown, PA, USA
Edited Date/Time 5/21/2015 3:02pm
Anyone got the run down on this bike? I hear a lot of talk about the 04-08 RM250's being good bikes. Mainly hear about the 05 and newer ones and not the 2004 model. I have found a mint condition 04 looks as if there is no wear on the frame or clutch covers. Even has the original tires and graphics. I've never rode or owned a Suzuki just Yamis and Hondas. I was waiting for an 06+ YZ250 to pop up, but no dice as of late. I got them down to 2500$ they wont budge anymore. Price seems a little high though?
|
downard254
Posts
4075
Joined
12/10/2012
Location
Bremen, OH, USA
4/27/2015 1:26pm
'04's are not that far off the '06-'08's. It had a more abrupt power delivery, but otherwise, a solid runner. If it's as clean as you say, $2500 and I'd snatch it up.
YZ125H1
Posts
827
Joined
1/31/2012
Location
Elizabethtown, PA, USA
4/27/2015 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2015 1:31pm
downard254 wrote:
'04's are not that far off the '06-'08's. It had a more abrupt power delivery, but otherwise, a solid runner. If it's as clean as you...
'04's are not that far off the '06-'08's. It had a more abrupt power delivery, but otherwise, a solid runner. If it's as clean as you say, $2500 and I'd snatch it up.
I was a little worried about the powerband. I heard the older RM's hit pretty hard and ran threw the RPM's quick. Rode a YZ250 with a rekluse was pretty tamed down revved slower, but had so much torque. Guess I can always change the gearing or put on a FWW? Can the RM's be run at any throttle for jumping or do they really need to be revved out?
Spagina767
Posts
912
Joined
8/27/2013
Location
Fredericksburg, VA, USA
4/27/2015 1:30pm
04's had a few one-year parts but had most of the major changes. Showa's, front brake routing, new linkage.

I'd scoop it up.
downard254
Posts
4075
Joined
12/10/2012
Location
Bremen, OH, USA
4/27/2015 1:36pm
YZ125H1 wrote:
I was a little worried about the powerband. I heard the older RM's hit pretty hard and ran threw the RPM's quick. Rode a YZ250 with...
I was a little worried about the powerband. I heard the older RM's hit pretty hard and ran threw the RPM's quick. Rode a YZ250 with a rekluse was pretty tamed down revved slower, but had so much torque. Guess I can always change the gearing or put on a FWW? Can the RM's be run at any throttle for jumping or do they really need to be revved out?
For the most part. All RM's will rev quick. They have almost always had a very light flywheel effect. Except for my 1985 I used to have. It had a very heavy flywheel and felt tame. I currently have an '06 with a 10 oz. flywheel weight and I hardly noticed a difference in how quick it wound up. Wish now I'd have gone heavier.

The Shop

YZ125H1
Posts
827
Joined
1/31/2012
Location
Elizabethtown, PA, USA
4/27/2015 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2015 1:52pm
Spagina767 wrote:
04's had a few one-year parts but had most of the major changes. Showa's, front brake routing, new linkage.

I'd scoop it up.
You know of any of the one year parts off hand?

Looking on motosport at OEM RM250 parts most are shared however some of the K4 parts are unique.
Driven71
Posts
134
Joined
11/22/2010
Location
Hampden, ME, USA
Fantasy
4/27/2015 2:11pm
I just picked up an '04 this winter and replaced almost everything. No trouble finding parts, and most are shared with the 05-08. As others have said, the important part is that it has the Showa forks and the updated linkage that the '03 and older doesn't have. Raced it yesterday and went 1-1 in the old guy class after a 3 year break. Good bike. The jetting needs help, but I'll wait and see how it does once the weather warms up. Never got above 50 all day!
YZ125H1
Posts
827
Joined
1/31/2012
Location
Elizabethtown, PA, USA
4/27/2015 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2015 2:23pm
Driven71 wrote:
I just picked up an '04 this winter and replaced almost everything. No trouble finding parts, and most are shared with the 05-08. As others have...
I just picked up an '04 this winter and replaced almost everything. No trouble finding parts, and most are shared with the 05-08. As others have said, the important part is that it has the Showa forks and the updated linkage that the '03 and older doesn't have. Raced it yesterday and went 1-1 in the old guy class after a 3 year break. Good bike. The jetting needs help, but I'll wait and see how it does once the weather warms up. Never got above 50 all day!
Only problem is some of the OEM parts are outrageously priced. Such as OEM radiators, seat, carb, cylinder, and subframe to name a few. Not really an issue though since most of the time these things do not break and you can probably get them off ebay. Apparently, the later model RM's are easier to jet than the 01-03.
4/27/2015 2:50pm
I've raced my 2004 in the pic for nine straight seasons. Had one ring failure. That was about it. I ran it hard in sugar sand down south.
You wanna run 50/50 race gas in that motor or else it will surge. At least mine does.

Great bike. Super fast. The only dodgy thing about Suzooks is the shifting, but it's no big deal.
4/27/2015 3:40pm
I'd hold out for the 06+ YZ250 if it was for me. The RM is a good bike but Suzuki parts are stupid expensive and the Yammie is still being produced so aftermarket items will be much more readily available. The YZ has great suspension (06+) and a very fast and smooth motor coupled with great neutral handling, the Suzi is going to be much more of a handful.
malachi177
Posts
2281
Joined
12/18/2010
Location
B.C., BC, CA
4/27/2015 4:15pm
As other have said, great bike, not much different then the 05-08. Put a stealthy ffw on and it'll smooth it out and will be alot more tractable.
RCN4HIM
Posts
225
Joined
1/21/2013
Location
Holly Springs, SC, USA
4/27/2015 4:57pm
Raced a 04 Last season... You'll have a blast, stock suspension is nice if your under 180lbs, keep the steering stem nice and tight for the high speed stuff, throw a set of MX32's on it and hit the track and you'll be laughing in your helmet when you drop in those tight ruts!!
YZ125H1
Posts
827
Joined
1/31/2012
Location
Elizabethtown, PA, USA
5/21/2015 3:02pm
Thanks for the info guys I really want a YZ250, but at this point whatever bike (YZ or RM) I can find in the best condition I'll get. There is an 08 RM for sale in my area now waiting for the price to come down some. I'm thinking $2800 sounds fair for the bike gives me a decent amount of cash left for parts.

Did not get to see the 04 in person was just too far of a drive for me.

Post a reply to: 2004 RM250

The Latest