STS Shop Build - '05 RM125 (Completed Pics)

Related:
Create New Tag

7/8/2020 10:23 AM

Hey Vital members!

Bought an '05 RM125 from a fellow New England racer back in May of '19 and have methodically been sourcing parts / bolts, working with different service providers to build my idea of an absolute dream bike. Some factory Suzuki parts, one-offs, fork coatings, powedercoating, cerakoating, Titanium Parts, Titanium hardware, Titanium axles / pivots. Now that the Motostuff front caliper is in stock we will be adding that to the list as well!

Bike build will be finished by August 1st, and we will be posting 90 second videos for each different part of the build. Looking forward to getting this done! Below is spread of some of the goodies.

Photo

|

7/15/2020 4:39 AM

Carbon killswitch cover

When I was poking through one of the pit bits I saw JGR had these trick covers that went over the existing killswitch to help with accidental actuation and protection. Instead of having the exposed button, it is now recessed inside of the carbon.

Someone had commented that they were 3D printed so I sourced a local Carbon 3D printer, Carbon Solutions. Came out perfect and was very fair priced. Adds the "factory" feel to the controls.

Photo

Photo
|

7/15/2020 2:11 PM

I’ve been seeing the spread of parts pic all over Instagram! Definitely going to be a good looking bike. I’m doing a complete rebuild on a rm125 too, but mines a 2002. Good luck with the build!

|

7/16/2020 6:08 AM

Jordan94 wrote:

I’ve been seeing the spread of parts pic all over Instagram! Definitely going to be a good looking bike. I’m doing a complete ...more

Hey man! Thanks. I've been following your build. Good call on respraying the case cover >>

|

7/16/2020 4:58 PM

Jordan94 wrote:

I’ve been seeing the spread of parts pic all over Instagram! Definitely going to be a good looking bike. I’m doing a complete ...more

STStevew199 wrote:

Hey man! Thanks. I've been following your build. Good call on respraying the case cover >>

Haha yah it looks much better! 🤙

|

7/16/2020 10:14 PM

STStevew199 wrote: Carbon killswitch cover

When I was poking through one of the pit bits I saw JGR had these trick covers that went over the ...more

Now that is attention to detail! Always cool to see people actually get into the actual engineering and fabricate their own stuff.

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

7/17/2020 7:10 AM

SeaClass! Thanks man, we have some other cool goodies that we're trying to work. One includes a carbon fiber radiator air duct from Light speed, off of a 2005 YZF. I'll post pictures of it later today

|

7/21/2020 7:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2020 7:24 PM

Shock

Photo

Some details on the shock. Stock internals, revalved and serviced by (the now retired) Tony Stack of REP Suspension. The Showa micro compression adjuster was bought from Bud Racing to complete the look. The shock body and shock parts were cerakoted by Ryan Perry of P2 Cerakote and P2 Coatings. Ryan also coated cerkoated the spring in Habenaro Red. You'll hear more about P2 in future posts as he was vital to the complete look and aesthetic of the bike. Below is his information!

Ryan Perry, Owner
860-729-5687
P2 Coatings
@perryspowdercoatings
P2 Cerakote
@p2cerakote

|

7/21/2020 7:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2020 7:30 PM

Build Update Pic

Photo

Still have a decent amount of work left to do. A lot of the bolts pictured will be replaced with Titanium. I have been working to clean up the swingarm but still have some uneven areas. I will definitely be searching the forum for swingarm finish tips.

Shout out to my buddy and fellow J Day Offroad race Dan Miller for putting in a bunch of work to get up to this point and pressing the bottom triple clamp bearing and DMC Cycles for the help with some grease haha!
|

7/22/2020 10:10 AM

What are the chances of you doing a small run of those kill switch covers?? I would definitely be interested. Maybe a billet or carbon switch body for the vortex ignition switch as well??

Take a look at my “Corona” build. We could possibly collaborate on some parts?

|

7/22/2020 1:53 PM

Ryan625 wrote:

What are the chances of you doing a small run of those kill switch covers?? I would definitely be interested. Maybe a billet ...more

Hey Ryan,
@Carbon.Solutions is the man for that job. He can get you outfitted with whatever you need.

|

7/28/2020 4:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2020 5:34 AM

Graphics & Seat Cover

Photo

I figured while I'm at it, I might as well throw up the graphics that I will be printing for the build. Restyled plastics. I have a friend, Krista, who does interiors, and marine seating who will be adding the black gripper material to the side of our seat cover, to extend the graphic elements onto the seat, like Geico did this year. We're going to line it up and template it as close as we can. Once the seat is 100% on, we have the convenience of reposition the design / reprinting the gas tank to make sure everything fits perfect.
|

7/28/2020 9:45 AM

Build Update Pic #2

Wheels - Done
Chain & Sprocket - Done
Titanium bolts, axles - installed

Tomorrow's checklist
MotoStuff Front Caliper
Bleed brakes
Graphics & Seat Cover

Thursday
Handlebars
Install Plastics
Pipe & Silencer
SC1 haha
Have a Finished bike

Photo

|

7/28/2020 10:10 AM

What triple clamps are those??
That is looking killer

|

7/28/2020 2:40 PM

Triple Clamps are Kite. Mounts are Titanium off of a Factory bike overseas.

|

7/28/2020 5:08 PM

I have tried hard to get those clamps kite won’t sell them directly to me since I’m in the USA you wouldn’t happen to know where I can get some?

|

7/28/2020 6:19 PM

ecmx274 wrote:

I have tried hard to get those clamps kite won’t sell them directly to me since I’m in the USA you wouldn’t happen to know ...more

Hey man, Im in CT and I bought it from a parts place online in Italy. If you google, Kite RM Triple Clamps you will see a few places to purchase them

|

7/28/2020 9:33 PM

Beautiful bike, can’t wait to see the finished product

|

7/29/2020 3:43 AM

chickenstrips721 wrote:

Beautiful bike, can’t wait to see the finished product

Thank you!!

|

8/5/2020 6:38 AM

Build Update Pic

Photo
|

8/14/2020 3:45 PM

Need more pics... laughing

|

2015 YZ250F - 2003 CR125R

8/14/2020 4:36 PM

STStevew199 wrote: Build Update Pic

Photo

Did those clamps take the 2020 plastics or did you use the restyle kit bracket? I love your build can’t wait to see it.

|

8/15/2020 6:24 AM

There is a little bit of a gap between the front number plate and front fender. The restyle bracket caught on the front machining of the triple clamp. I'd hate to start hacking away at the clamp so I'm going to have a professional hacker trim it.

We are working with Vital on some advertising for the bike. I appreciate the community Vital has on their forum and as a business, if I am going to be using their platform, it is the appropriate to support the forum! So with that being said I'll have a few more teaser pics on Monday for sureeee

|

10/30/2020 9:15 AM

Fast forward 2.5 months >> We have something special cooked up as we have worked with Kyle Wells at Vital to get this bike build debuted. Once again, we didn't want to abuse the forum for our benefit without compensating Vital, so we got all of our ducks lined up and Monday is the day!

|

11/6/2020 6:02 AM

Photo
Photo

Should have an article up about this bike later on today!
|

11/6/2020 1:56 PM

STStevew199 wrote: Photo
Photo

Should have an article up about this bike later on today!

Beautiful!

|

11/7/2020 7:33 PM

STStevew199 wrote:

SeaClass! Thanks man, we have some other cool goodies that we're trying to work. One includes a carbon fiber radiator air duct ...more

I’m curious, what mods are needed to mount the yzf air ducts to the rm? Awesome build btw

|

11/30/2020 7:18 AM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

I’m curious, what mods are needed to mount the yzf air ducts to the rm? Awesome build btw

It didn't line up as well as I thought it would. By the time I hacked the thing apart, it wouldn't have even looked the same. There wasn't enough room between the Radiator / Triple Clamp / Fork to make it all work.

|

12/8/2020 6:25 PM

When are you guys announcing a winner? By the way the flannel was really nice!

|

12/9/2020 11:34 AM

GalagaOnMYArm wrote:

When are you guys announcing a winner? By the way the flannel was really nice!

They contacted a winner and still waiting to hear back. I guess they have till Jan 5th (extremely giving imo) before they announce the next name-
Still waiting for my phone call 😂😉

|